PDA

View Full Version : I was almost taken out by a UPS driver today.

shinomaster
09-24-2018, 10:39 PM
I was on my way home from a ride and fully emblazoned in a hi-viz kit with lights, and instead of waiting a few seconds a UPS driver floored it and cut me off so recklessly I couldn't believe it. He could have killed me. I chased this kid down- up a hill and got his plates # and yelled at him for a bit. He was in no way concerned and could care less. He had his ear buds in and just smirked at me.
What should I do? Contact UPS? Report it to the police? I want this punk to get some sort of formal reprimand. I have a witness as there was another cyclist behind me who saw the whole thing.

pobrien
09-24-2018, 10:44 PM
I would report it to UPS. Their corporate policy should see the driver fired for his poor driving.

I have the Fly 6 and Fly 12 to cover this kind of behavior with the Police who need evidence.

Glad to hear you are okay.

shinomaster
09-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Thanks, I have a fly on the back sometimes but forgot it today. I need a camera for the front. I came home with an ulcer I think..

bikingshearer
09-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Absolutely report him to UPS, both for the reckless driving and for the earbuds (not legal while driving). It may or may not accomplish anything, but UPS is at least on notice that they have a dangerous driver on their hands. They may not care, but they should: this clown is rolling liability for them.

shinomaster
09-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Absolutely report him to UPS, both for the reckless driving and for the earbuds (not legal while driving). It may or may not accomplish anything, but UPS is at least on notice that they have a dangerous driver on their hands. They may not care, but they should: this clown is rolling liability for them.

But all these delivery guys are under pressure to deliver packages on time, loads of them. Every day I have a Fed Ex truck and a UPS truck flying down my quiet side street over "speed bumps". Delivery trucks, garbage trucks and recycling trucks are effing dangerous her in Portland.

Horsfan
09-24-2018, 11:09 PM
Report it. I am sure you aren't the first.

Fixed
09-24-2018, 11:31 PM
Report it you will sleep better ,and you may save another cyclist’s life
Glad you are fine

rustychisel
09-25-2018, 02:27 AM

Report: he's a clown representing them every time he drives a vehicle with their livery.

GregL
09-25-2018, 06:12 AM
Definitely report it to UPS. They take this seriously. If you have the number from the side of the truck (typically displayed near the doors), that is more helpful than the license number.

Greg

AngryScientist
09-25-2018, 06:32 AM
i have been buzzed a few times recently by "brown santa" myself.

sometimes, i'm not sure what to think - part of me thinks maybe the driver is doing what he feels is safer and getting around me as quickly as possible, to minimize the time we need to ride adjacent to each other. i think maybe he has best intentions to do the right thing.

other times i think he's being a jerk and not caring about my safety.

in the end, i think that yes - they are under lots of pressure to deliver high volumes of good in shorter times, but i think most of the UPS drivers i've actually talked to are decent people who have a vested interest in keeping their jobs, and know that hitting a cyclist would certainly jeopardize their livelihood. i try not to get angry or emotional when i'm passed in close proximity and give the benefit of the doubt that these guys/gals live with their trucks day in and day out, and they should know the width of them and what they can and can not pass safely.

best thing you can do, regardless in situations like this is to hold your line, not swerve at all and ride predictably, to give both cyclist and driver the best chance not to make contact.

not commenting on the OPs specific interaction, since i wasnt there, just what i've seen/experienced lately.

charliedid
09-25-2018, 06:55 AM
He likely wasn't out to get you.

Yelling always helps.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2018, 06:58 AM
I was on my way home from a ride and fully emblazoned in a hi-viz kit with lights, and instead of waiting a few seconds a UPS driver floored it and cut me off so recklessly I couldn't believe it. He could have killed me. I chased this kid down- up a hill and got his plates # and yelled at him for a bit. He was in no way concerned and could care less. He had his ear buds in and just smirked at me.
What should I do? Contact UPS? Report it to the police? I want this punk to get some sort of formal reprimand. I have a witness as there was another cyclist behind me who saw the whole thing.

Call UPS..they really frown on this sort of thing..FedEx as well..

bheight1
09-25-2018, 07:07 AM
I would report it. I actually find UPS truck drivers, maybe not the box trucks, to be the safest and courteous on the road. They are well paid and usually have long tenure. Sounds like the one you encountered is not norm.

Ozz
09-25-2018, 08:07 AM
Call UPS..they really frown on this sort of thing..FedEx as well..

+1

My guess is that it is against corporate policy to be driving with ear buds in as well.....

Seramount
09-25-2018, 08:37 AM
it's sometimes difficult, if not impossible to get a plate number from a passenger car to file a police report, but commercial vehicles are usually easy to identify and the drivers who do sketchy stuff should get reported.

recently, a van belonging to a local plumbing company grossly overcooked a curve, crossed the center line, and almost took out two oncoming riders who had moved to the left part of the lane to pass a parked car. I was trailing them and easily got the firm's name that was in two-foot tall letters on the side of the vehicle.

I phoned in a complaint and the owner's wife answered...after hearing the details of the event, she assured me that the employee would be reprimanded and possibly fired if there were any other complaints on file.

Tony T
09-25-2018, 08:57 AM

I would get a written description from your witness, then MAIL a CERTIFIED letter to UPS describing the incident, including any pictures you have.

As you were not injured, I wouldn't waste my time with the Police.

SpeedyChix
09-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Contact UPS.

A couple years ago a good friend and trail-builder who moved to SF was taken out (killed) by a Waste Management truck via a righthand turn. Alerting companies to dangerous drivers is key.

jemoryl
09-25-2018, 09:31 AM
In my area we have many white vans (apparently leased from Enterprise) making deliveries for Amazon, stopping on the wrong side of the road, etc. The other day I was almost taken out by the driver running out across the road with a package. I wanted to yell that he should run faster because Bezos isn't rich enough, but bit my tongue.

UPS and these delivery outfits may claim they care deeply about safety, etc., they put the drivers under enormous pressure (via telemetry) so what do they expect? I feel sorry for the poor chumps that need to take these jobs.

henrypretz
09-25-2018, 10:22 AM
I have worked for UPS for 40 years. I'm an inside clerk now, but was a package driver for 34 years. I'm sorry that you had this incident. As someone else said, UPS preaches safety (and that is commendable), but they certainly do not always practice what they preach. The incredible production standards, along with what I see as a change in the attitude of the workforce (yes, I'm an old fart!), make for careless and dangerous work habits and just a lack of regard for the doing the job correctly. These are not excuses, just my own observations. The new dispatch tools that the company has makes it so that the routes are less regular and that drivers are assigned work in a more random manner. So this driver could have been unfamiliar with the delivery area. Again, no excuse for dangerous actions like this!
Regarding reporting the incident, if you have a vehicle number that would help. But with the telematics system that the company uses they know who was in the area at that time.
Make a national corporate complaint (UPS calls them "concerns" lol). Give as much info as you can: time, date, location, details. Demand to speak to the center manager in the offender's operating center. You will eventually get a call back from an office person, but ask to speak directly with the center manager. This sometimes takes a while, but stick with it. Emphasize the severity of the incident, and the fact that you were clearly visible and the attitude of the driver when you confronted him. Also, be sure to point out the ear bud usage. Ask him or her directly if they condone this behavior and what will be done to prevent this individual from repeating it. Tell them that you have filed a police report. Depends on your local police force, but some have no love for UPS or other delivery folks in general and will at least hear you out.
In the end, all of that effort may do little to no good. But if it opens this person's (or one of his coworkers') eyes just a crack, it could help in some way to prevent a tragedy.
Sorry this was so long, but I really like and care about the company that I work for. It really pains me to see and hear about crap like this.

Best,
Henry

m_sasso
09-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Henry great answer and reply.
Sorry, however, I almost never use UPS as a result of their unusually high brokerage rates.

palincss
09-25-2018, 03:56 PM

Certainly report it to UPS.

shinomaster
09-28-2018, 04:29 PM
I just wanted to thank you all for the concern and give an update. Well, I reported this episode by phone and email and finally got a call by a nice person who was concerned. He said the driver is new and will go back to training as a result of my evidence (photos, story etc.). I think if I held my line that day and didn't veer right, I'd be in the hospital or dead. I'm glad I got the call and feel a bit better.
I couldn't sleep for a few days, as this was terrifying. I know three cyclists who have been killed by bad/careless drivers; one in Portland, one in rural Oregon and my brother in upstate NY, so I'm a bit more sensitive than most. Part of it is that my once quite cycling paradise is now a very, very dangerous place and completely over-run by new aggressive residents, who cut through all the Green Ways (bike routes)to avoid congestion etc. People regularly blast around traffic diverters etc, or dangerously weave around a stream of bike commuters on a designated bike bike route. We have lots of bike paths but they aren't really safe. I'm sure it's difficult to deliver packages in this town but they need to follow the laws like everyone else. I know some UPS guys and they're good people but this one was immature and a bit of a punk.
Also, Kevinvc your box was full when I messaged you.
Thanks again everyone for the support!

cash05458
09-29-2018, 08:30 AM
Bad driving is bad driving...and sure, report it to UPS...I used to be a mailman so know plenty of UPS drivers. A large part of this is also the company's fault...they have their folks on unbelievably short leashes. They literally have managers looking at computers watching guys GPS times between deliveries...they have it figured out how long between certain spots a delivery should take....not accounting for bad road conditions, needing to stop for baby ducks crossing with their mother across the road, you name it. If they don't make those times they hear about it believe me. UPS is fairly cutthroat about that stuff with their drivers so keep that in mind while reporting their drivers....alot of the time the driver might have lost 30 seconds slowing down for something is expected to make that up and fast on his next delivery as it is run like factory work and times.

shinomaster
09-29-2018, 02:36 PM
Bad driving is bad driving...and sure, report it to UPS...I used to be a mailman so know plenty of UPS drivers. A large part of this is also the company's fault...they have their folks on unbelievably short leashes. They literally have managers looking at computers watching guys GPS times between deliveries...they have it figured out how long between certain spots a delivery should take....not accounting for bad road conditions, needing to stop for baby ducks crossing with their mother across the road, you name it. If they don't make those times they hear about it believe me. UPS is fairly cutthroat about that stuff with their drivers so keep that in mind while reporting their drivers....alot of the time the driver might have lost 30 seconds slowing down for something is expected to make that up and fast on his next delivery as it is run like factory work and times.

Oh I know, and I get that. In this case I was going fast, and he only had to wait about two seconds so this was a total d*ck move on his part. My advice is to not make any assumptions at a dangerous intersection. Assume they don't see you or that they won't stop.

cash05458
09-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Oh I know, and I get that. In this case I was going fast, and he only had to wait about two seconds so this was a total d*ck move on his part. My advice is to not make any assumptions at a dangerous intersection. Assume they don't see you or that they won't stop.

of course and understood....as I said, bad driving is simply bad driving...was just trying to point out as well that this sorta stuff is also on the company and pressure they put on these folks...glad to hear you are ok tho!

I can tell you this tho via me being a mailman....I was a rural carrier...we go on what is called an evaluation...what that means is they figure out an average time vs boxes and distance and stuff like that...so I would get paid per day and route the same amount...some days it would take me alot longer (say, snow) and some days shorter...so I had time to pay total attention...sorry to go on here...anyhow, during my 12 years doing that I prided myself that I never once hit a dog or cat via my customers (and neighbors....as I delivered here in my own home town)...in that time, UPS drivers had run over thirty pets on my route alone...my point is these guys didn't of course want to do that, but their managers put total pressure on them to go as fast AS possible...time is money for UPS and they maximize it as far as possible and put keep your job pressure on them or else...UPS management has it figured out via cost that paying a customer for a run over dog, say 400 bucks, is more cost efficient than telling their drivers to pay attention and drive carefully...that goes for running over humans as well...you can call management and they will act very sympathetic and sure, prolly give the driver some sorta talk...but the overall drive in that company is to speed as fast as possible everywhere and the hell with the repercussions...