PDA

View Full Version : I got yelled at for saying good morning instead of on your left. Was I wrong?

FastforaSlowGuy
09-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Seriously I’m not trying to start another one of those “why don’t people wave” threads. I was out on familiar roads a couple weeks ago testing out my new-to-me TT rig. I passed an older guy (maybe 60-65?) about 6 miles from home. Came around on his left and said “good morning” as I did so. It was, in fact, morning, and I’ve taken to doing that rather than “on your left” because the latter always felt like i was telling folks to “get out of my way”. As I pass, they guy yells to me (now 10 yards up the road) “‘on your left,’ it’s traditional!” Really annoyed me. I’m 90% certain the guy heard my greeting. I’ve always been of the view that any greeting is fine so long as you announce yourself. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmg
09-24-2018, 10:11 PM
laugh it off. go on with your life.

eddief
09-24-2018, 10:23 PM
when you said it. were you right next to him or was it done as a warning that you were coming up along side? most folks in my clubs ride with mirrors and one club, Santa Rosa, is pretty well trained to say on your left regardless of mirrors or not. the more info the better. on crowded multi use routes with dogs, runners, walkers, and bikes I have now started using my voice and nicely say "beep beep" and that works remarkably well. Gives folks a chance to move in whatever direction makes sense for their brains. Almost always they move to their right side.

bikinchris
09-24-2018, 10:26 PM
"On your left" often has riders look over and swerve into you. "Good morning" is fine. "Hold your line, please" is what I used when doing big crowded rides. If I was riding alone and caught another rider, I would probably say "Good Morning" just like you did and when he screamed something, I would probably just say screw him in my head and ride a little faster.

Some people would want four quarters if you gave them a dollar bill.

bikingshearer
09-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Did you do anything wrong? I vote "no." And I am speaking as one who is in the range of "older" you postulated and capable of a certain amount of curmudgeonliness (if that's a word).

I'm mildly surprised the guy didn't yell "Get off my lawn!"

YesNdeed
09-24-2018, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=FastforaSlowGuy;2431107
Am I wrong?
[/QUOTE]

No, but for that guy, you weren't correct. You took a friendly alternative, and had you said it to me I would have appreciated the fact that we're two strangers with a common interest in morning time and heart propelled machines. Good morning! That would have been my reply.

Maybe he has a less common sense of humor and was being funny, maybe he had a valid concern, maybe he's got a control issue and just isn't happy unless he's unhappy...

In any case, next time just be sure and clearly announce "ON YOUR LEFT!!!" to him. While you're at it, make good use of an air horn as you pass him, since that's also a traditional announcement between vehicles out on the road ;)

HenryA
09-24-2018, 11:54 PM
You did nothing wrong.

When I overtake someone, I pause just a ways back and say “hello”, “great day” or “how ya doin” — something pleasant. Then I watch them for a moment before passing carefully. Of course there”s the part where the other guy may or may not have any riding skills at all. That’s why I pause at a distance to allow for dumb-assery to subside before getting too close.

I take “on your left” as something to say in a group where the other person might not be aware of who is nearby. Otherwise it seems a bit rude when used in public with people who are not riding with you.

rmk
09-25-2018, 12:08 AM
I am the same: I prefer saying good morning unless someone seems all over the place, and then I'll give a directional "on your left."

bicycletricycle
09-25-2018, 12:44 AM
just a grumpy person, no need to worry.

sitzmark
09-25-2018, 01:04 AM
Judgement call for me outside of group/organized rides. “On-your-left” (in advance) is traditional, but more of a “safety notice” to communicate caution for all riders to hold lines and not make sudden changes of direction when passes will be in close proximity. Usually lots of chatter in a pack of skilled riders announcing locations / intentions.

General riding I try not to pass closer than a couple of arm lengths if possible. Unless overtaking at a significant difference in speed I usually wait and just give a friendly greeting as FastforaSlowGuy did. Only if I perceive a need for extra caution do I call out OYL. I suspect everyone has a little different feel for what that safety zone is and wanting to have notice. Can’t read everyone’s mind...

RC.
09-25-2018, 01:37 AM

Basically.

TonyG
09-25-2018, 01:45 AM

+1 here

Now on the other hand I had some nut job pass me on the right while I was just taking off after being stopped at a red light. I had to chase him down and yell at him for a good while. :butt: If he passed on my left I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Jef58
09-25-2018, 05:07 AM
I always say 'Good Morning' as I pass somebody and pretty much never say 'On your Left'. My experience has been people swerve to the left as they try to see where you are.... There are a lot of times I sneak by and just do a courtesy wave.

Campagnolo wheels are loud, so a quick coast as you approach is usually enough to alert riders. Most of this is on bike paths that are prevalent here, on the road, just passing with a wave is fine.

Burnette
09-25-2018, 05:13 AM
Welp, judging by this and the wave thread I'm predicting a very, very rough winter.

buddybikes
09-25-2018, 05:15 AM
Not to go off topic or cause a war (I don't have one yet), but bells were used long time ago, and now there are some nice ones that would seem to look and act nicely. Others using?

marciero
09-25-2018, 05:29 AM
Passing a single rider I just give them enough room. Sometimes I offer a greeting when alongside, not as a warning but just to be neighborly and not seem like a cat 6 commuter racer. When I am passed I never expect an "on your left". Sometimes I offer an "Allez!" when passed.
The bike/ped path is different. I keep saying I'm getting a bell. I usually say "coming up from behind". The longer length of the phrase and saying it slowly and deliberately seem to be less alarming, or so I tell myself. I often say nothing if it;s crowded. Got scolded by some guy once, despite slowing to a crawl before passing. My bad. Definitely getting a bell.

jischr
09-25-2018, 05:39 AM
Saw a commuter in Portland that had small wind chimes on his bars. Much nicer than a bell but I still haven't tried it 6 years later.

unterhausen
09-25-2018, 05:48 AM
Not to go off topic or cause a war (I don't have one yet), but bells were used long time ago, and now there are some nice ones that would seem to look and act nicely. Others using?

airzound. For the literal minded that wouldn't like that, I actually have a Crane Riten bell. Brringg Bringg.

I know from being passed that there really is nothing you can say without startling someone. That's why I say it fairly far back so I'm not involved in the startle reaction. But generally, I expect to get a negative reaction when I startle somebody, it's just the way most of us are wound nowadays.

marciero
09-25-2018, 06:01 AM
Somehow I am still on the Rivendell mailing list. This would be at home on one of Sheldon Brown's humor pages.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/bell-jingle

daker13
09-25-2018, 06:16 AM
Bikepath riders seem divided between those who become incensed when you say anything else besides "on your left" and those who almost lose control of their bikes when you say the same. I honestly find it confusing and it's one of the reasons I much prefer to ride on regular roads. I once said "on your left" while passing some guy and he literally rode off the path and into the bushes; I don't think he knew how to use the brakes. Swear I didn't say it that loud, either.

Peter P.
09-25-2018, 06:23 AM

Well, the bell doesn't tell the rider which side they're being passed on, now does it?

AND THAT'S A GOOD THING, I SAY!

Here's why: You don't know how experienced is the cyclist you are passing, "On your left" may be understood by them OR it might as well be a foreign language. As has been already been mentioned, for some strange reason you announce "on your left" and the meathead SWERVES left! Makes me wonder what would happen if I said, "Put you left foot in/Put your right foot out...!"

That's why I don't announce, "on your left". I just say "heads up". In the time it takes them to decide a course of action, they're at least traveling in a straight line and are reasonably safe and predictable. Then, in the second or so that I reach them I give a more socially pleasant greeting.

Seriously; a bell is somehow universally understood that it means you're being approached from behind-keep a straight line and whatever it is will pass you shortly. Follow up the pleasant chime with some social greeting whether it THEN be "on your left" or "good day" and everyone SHOULD be happy. Unless they're just plain grouches.

As for the etiquette enforcer of the original post laying claim to, "It's traditional!", I say who are they to dictate tradition. As Les Claypool of Primus sings in "To Defy The Laws of Tradition":

To defy the laws of tradition,
Is a crusade only of the brave.

AngryScientist
09-25-2018, 06:24 AM

of course this is the answer. you did what you thought was appropriate, no one got hurt, there was no contact or even close call.

some people just cant help themselves but be grumpy. dont let it bother you.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/bcf5f79bbfec28d25c129c7cb901c574

oldpotatoe
09-25-2018, 06:57 AM
Seriously I’m not trying to start another one of those “why don’t people wave” threads. I was out on familiar roads a couple weeks ago testing out my new-to-me TT rig. I passed an older guy (maybe 60-65?) about 6 miles from home. Came around on his left and said “good morning” as I did so. It was, in fact, morning, and I’ve taken to doing that rather than “on your left” because the latter always felt like i was telling folks to “get out of my way”. As I pass, they guy yells to me (now 10 yards up the road) “‘on your left,’ it’s traditional!” Really annoyed me. I’m 90% certain the guy heard my greeting. I’ve always been of the view that any greeting is fine so long as you announce yourself. Am I wrong?

No, you did the right thing by announcing you were passing, the guy's being a GOM..

signed-67 year old, sometime GOM

Mzilliox
09-25-2018, 07:41 AM
No, not wrong. Good morning is exactly the thing to say.

wait, it was morning right? otherwise *** man?

Seramount
09-25-2018, 07:51 AM
any verbal indication of your presence should be received as suitable.

demanding exact phrasing is a bit unreasonable.

but don't make this an 'age' thing tho...I had a 30-something pedestrian lose his composure because I passed him while riding at walking speed without saying OYL.

he belligerently informed me that it was a LAW to do so.

um, yeah...right.

GregL
09-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Lots of grumpy people in the world. Best way to ruin their days is to kill them with kindness. Smile, wave, give them a cheery "Thank you!" You were considerate in alerting him to your presence. If he wants to take offense at the exact words you used, that's his problem.

Greg

Hellgate
09-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Should have drifted back and chopped his wheel...

Spaghetti Legs
09-25-2018, 08:40 AM
I usually flick my brifter paddle to make noise (its easy with Campy!) and/or say “passing by” because it sounds nicer. A little wave or a “how you doing?” As I pass.

But really, I don’t pass people that much.

mktng
09-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Haha. You cant please everyone.

I used a bigger crane bell on my commuter.
Its good. Its loud.
I got yelled at once for my bell being too loud.

I just looked back at the woman. Shook my head at her and rode off.

99% of the people appreciate any sort of heads up. The remaining 1% are just grumpy people who will never be happy.

holliscx
09-25-2018, 08:41 AM
The only thing roadies like less than TT bars is getting passed by them. I would give a wide berth and not say anything next time because the M-dot tattoo on your calf is a turn off.

Bradford
09-25-2018, 08:58 AM
I use both, but tend to say "on your left" for people who look like they are good riders and "good morning" to people who are less experienced. I commute on a bike path, so I see plenty of both.

I also like to stretch out the phrase to "I'm coming up on your left here" because my commute path can be quite for long stretches and people forget they arn't always alone. I find that the farther back I can make noise, whether they understand it or not, the less likely they are to freak out.

Interestingly enough, the less serious the rider, the more likely I am to get a thank you or even a bit of conversation. A lot of really serious bike path training dudes are real A holes.

daker13
09-25-2018, 09:01 AM
I think the key thing is not so much what you say, but that you slow WAY DOWN when passing them. IME.

charliedid
09-25-2018, 09:04 AM

Nah I always say good morning.....but I always wait until they know I am there so as not to startle. I ride a section of a MUT that always has pathletes out for their 7 mile sprint. They pass me and scare the ***** out of me screaming ON YOUR LEFT from behind me. Of course you are, just keep racing, if you were on my right you'd be in the weeds or the ditch.

Ride yer bike

oldpotatoe
09-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Nah I always say good morning.....but I always wait until they know I am there so as not to startle. I ride a section of a MUT that always had pathletes out for their 7 mile sprint. They pass me and scare the ***** out of me screaming ON YOUR LEFT from behind me. Of course you are, just keep racing, if you were on my right you'd be in the weeds or the ditch.

Ride yer bike

Funny!! Pathletes....POTMorning...:)

coreyaugustus
09-25-2018, 09:13 AM
So often it seems that shouting "on your left" is just asking for people to look over their left shoulder and veer into your passing lane.

AngryScientist
09-25-2018, 09:16 AM
So often it seems that shouting "on your left" is just asking for people to look over their left shoulder and veer into your passing lane.

absolutely. i never use "on your left" anymore. at least 50% of the time, the rider abruptly veers left when you announce this.

Lionel
09-25-2018, 09:31 AM
In the US are people so freaking obsessed by yelling on your left, car up, car back, signaling every single detail on the road.... The safest way to pass is to say nothing.

FlashUNC
09-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Get a bell, ring it, problem solved.

rwsaunders
09-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Get a bell, ring it, problem solved.

+1...ring the bell and wave when you pass.

pdmtong
09-25-2018, 09:54 AM
I once passed a guy on the flats giving him five feet. He yelled at me that i was too close

Big Dan
09-25-2018, 10:00 AM
In the US are people so freaking obsessed by yelling on your left, car up, car back, signaling every single detail on the road.... The safest way to pass is to say nothing.

Agree.

ducati2
09-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Plus, most of the people I pass have earbuds and can’t hear my cheerful “good morning” anyway.

Seamus
09-25-2018, 10:06 AM

This seems dependent on the context of where you are riding, but I'd agree with this. I've found a louder freehub the most subtle, effective way to communicate my presence with a quick back-pedal at tricky (oblivious)-pedestrian crossings or with a group of riders spread out over the road. It seems less aggro then "On your left/right."

Mark McM
09-25-2018, 10:19 AM
As I pass, they guy yells to me (now 10 yards up the road) “‘on your left,’ it’s traditional!”

As this was on an open road, does this guy expect that passing motorists also say, "On your left," when they pass?

For tight, narrow lanes or paths (such as some bike paths), where all passes must be close, it is a good idea to alert other riders that you are going to pass, and on which side. But if you can give a wide berth to the passee, there's no need to pre-announce a pass.

palincss
09-25-2018, 10:25 AM

Some people are Arschlochs.

Mark McM
09-25-2018, 10:27 AM
but don't make this an 'age' thing tho...I had a 30-something pedestrian lose his composure because I passed him while riding at walking speed without saying OYL.

he belligerently informed me that it was a LAW to do so.

Particular phrases may not be the law, but in some situations the law may require some type of warning. Here in Massachusetts:

General Law, Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 85, Section 11B:

"The operator shall give an audible warning whenever necessary to insure safe operation of the bicycle; provided, however the use of a siren or whistle is prohibited."

"Bicycles may be ridden on sidewalks outside of business districts when necessary in the interest of safety, unless otherwise directed by local ordinances. A person operating a bicycle on the sidewalk shall yield the right of way to pedestrians and give an audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian."

palincss
09-25-2018, 10:29 AM
airzound. For the literal minded that wouldn't like that, I actually have a Crane Riten bell. Brringg Bringg.

God forbid the airzound. That's enough to give someone a heart attack. The Crane Riten, on the other hand - people love it. Very pleasant sound, usually get compliments and thanks from walkers on the trail when I warn them with it. Ping bells can sound kind of nasty "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!" but the Crane Riten is musical. Longest sustain I've ever heard on a bicycle bell, too.

William
09-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Judgement call for me outside of group/organized rides. “On-your-left” (in advance) is traditional, but more of a “safety notice” to communicate caution for all riders to hold lines and not make sudden changes of direction when passes will be in close proximity. Usually lots of chatter in a pack of skilled riders announcing locations / intentions.

General riding I try not to pass closer than a couple of arm lengths if possible. Unless overtaking at a significant difference in speed I usually wait and just give a friendly greeting as FastforaSlowGuy did. Only if I perceive a need for extra caution do I call out OYL. I suspect everyone has a little different feel for what that safety zone is and wanting to have notice. Can’t read everyone’s mind...

You did nothing wrong.

General riding: I generally give a wide berth and say Hi or nice morning/day etc... I used to use OYL exclusively but over the years I've had too many people actually swerve left when I said it.

In the race/hardcore training pack: OYL works fine because everyone could ride and wouldn't get spooked or swerve left when looking.

William

coreyaugustus
09-25-2018, 11:07 AM
I've found a louder freehub the most subtle, effective way to communicate my presence

This is particularly effective on runners with dogs.

Gummee
09-25-2018, 11:33 AM
"On your left" often has riders look over and swerve into you. "Good morning" is fine. "Hold your line, please" is what I used when doing big crowded rides. If I was riding alone and caught another rider, I would probably say "Good Morning" just like you did and when he screamed something, I would probably just say screw him in my head and ride a little faster.

Some people would want four quarters if you gave them a dollar bill.

Try 'passing'

Doesn't seem to have people veering into my path as often

M

biker72
09-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Try 'passing'

Doesn't seem to have people veering into my path as often

M

+1
This is what I do. Seems to work.

Ronsonic
09-25-2018, 12:16 PM
My mountain bike has a bell since I hate riding around the forest shouting at people.

On the road bike I usually say "good morning" or some other greeting.

"On your left" is saved for situations where there could be a question about it like someone riding down the middle of the lane.

NONE of this usually helps because people are out there with headphones and boomboxes and can't hear $#!^.

GregL
09-25-2018, 12:28 PM
I usually say something like, "Hello, I'm passing on your left" as I near them from behind, followed by "Have a great day!" as I pass them. There's no ambiguity and the message is clearly friendly. Never had a problem with this approach!

Greg

benb
09-25-2018, 01:23 PM
I often don't say anything.. if there is plenty of room I'm clear of them before they could swerve and hit me.

If it's not clear I slow down till it is and I might say something.

But definitely not "On your Left". I actually use "Excuse me" sometimes. On your Left is asking for them to try and crash you out. Another reason to go by at a good clip... if there is oncoming traffic the longer you're out in the middle/left the more dangerous it is, just like driving a car or moto.

Definitely a MUT phenomenon.

ptourkin
09-25-2018, 02:14 PM
This is particularly effective on runners with dogs.

Industry 9 FTW

pjm
09-25-2018, 03:08 PM
If I see earbuds, I don’t waste my breath.

93KgBike
09-25-2018, 03:33 PM
A guy yelled a compliment at me while I was riding back from a race, with my kids over the weekend. Maybe I should start a thread and tell the story...

Expedited
09-25-2018, 04:09 PM
I'm surprised you let something like this get to you so much. Sadly won't be the only sour interaction you'll have on the road most likely; keep pedaling.

zetroc
09-25-2018, 04:21 PM
I use a bell. Works great. Everyone knows what a bell means and they don't have to think about what you might have said.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-25-2018, 08:27 PM
To avoid misinterpretation, I only referred to the guy’s age because I’m 40 and wanted to make it clear this wasn’t some young kid getting his shorts in a twist because he got passed by a middle aged dude.

bobswire
09-25-2018, 08:32 PM

60-65, **** he's still a teeny bopper and green between the ears, let it go, you were young once and anyone who passes you was a challenge. :) I said good morning to a hiker today while on my bike and it was afternoon, he let it slide. :) BTW did I tell you guys I love it here in Petaluma, Ca.

djg
09-25-2018, 09:08 PM
No, not wrong. Good morning is exactly the thing to say.

wait, it was morning right? otherwise *** man?

I was wondering about the same thing. Pedaling along, minding my own business, at 4:30 in the afternoon, and some guy yells "good morning" as he passes on my left. What's that about?

Hindmost
09-25-2018, 10:04 PM
...OYL works fine...

I actually spent a minute trying to figure out in what dialect "oil" would be used as a word of salutation or warning.