PDA

View Full Version : Computrainer...

Horsfan
09-24-2018, 05:23 PM
First post in a looooong time. New name too:). My kids took over Dekonick... Now it is their gaming tag... Oh well...

Back to business:

I bought a used computrainer. Setting it up... As tech has changed, any advice? I am leaning towards using an old touchscreen HP - all in one... Mainly because it was free, low power, and can use DVD's for courses.

And... Hello!

djg21
09-24-2018, 06:48 PM
First post in a looooong time. New name too:). My kids took over Dekonick... Now it is their gaming tag... Oh well...

Back to business:

I bought a used computrainer. Setting it up... As tech has changed, any advice? I am leaning towards using an old touchscreen HP - all in one... Mainly because it was free, low power, and can use DVD's for courses.

And... Hello!

How old? I used mine with Ergvideos for a couple seasons, and now almost exclusively with Zwift. The Ergvideos are great, but I don’t think I’d spend the money now given that I can use Zwift. Zwift is worth paying for, and works great with the Computrainer.

I leave a bike on my Computrainer so I don’t have to recalibrate constantly. I just pump my tire up to 100 lbs and go. I calibrate once a week after riding, when my tire and the Computrainer are warm.

Horsfan
09-24-2018, 11:01 PM
Any need for a training tire? Just use cheap tires? Use a 'training 'wheel?

I had a computrainer back ~2000 or so. Traded it for a Hors Categorie...

Found this on the local yard sale site for $350 when I found out RacerMate was no more... It seems to be a nice model - has a fork mount...

For now, I'll put my Hors on the CT until I can build up a dedicated trainer bike.

I know nothing about Zwift other than a few youtube videos...

Advice appreciated! Thanks!

BdaGhisallo
09-25-2018, 04:10 AM
How old? I used mine with Ergvideos for a couple seasons, and now almost exclusively with Zwift. The Ergvideos are great, but I don’t think I’d spend the money now given that I can use Zwift. Zwift is worth paying for, and works great with the Computrainer.

I leave a bike on my Computrainer so I don’t have to recalibrate constantly. I just pump my tire up to 100 lbs and go. I calibrate once a week after riding, when my tire and the Computrainer are warm.

Did you hear that Ergvideo have now gone to a subscription model too? Don't have to buy discs. The monthly fee of $10 for a home sub gets you unlimited access to their library of files.

glepore
09-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Yes, use a trainer tire-I have a wheel/tire combo if you need one.

Get their latest firmware chip if you want to use modern video products, or check that its in there.

I like Veloreality-not structured training, but excellent vids and you can layer a workout over if you want.

weisan
09-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Hello Deko pal. Just want to say hi. Good to hear from you.