PDA

View Full Version : Saddles that are like older Flite Genuine Gel

paredown
09-23-2018, 04:31 PM
I hate that there is no good way to buy saddles--such a crap shoot.

I'm pretty comfortable on Selle Italia Genuine Gel--the older versions with the embroidery and TI rails so they are not too heavy.

Has anyone transitioned from these to a newer saddle that has a similar fit? I think they measure around 140mm and look like this guy.

weisan
09-23-2018, 05:17 PM
This used to be my go-to saddle, got like a dozen of them. About six years ago, changed to Specialized Toupe 143, was quite happy with it for a while. Recently tried a couple of different saddles and all seemed to do fine in rides longer than 50 miles. They include: Prologo PAS CPC Scratch2, Giant Connect, WTB Pure V (more for gravel riding with the extra padding).

93KgBike
09-23-2018, 08:32 PM
I commute 20 miles on the Max Flite Gel Flow without padded shorts, and find it even more comfortable than I did the Gel Flite you have pictured. Though it's 145... and has a cut out. They are both comfortable.

EPOJoe
09-23-2018, 08:45 PM
The Genuine Gel has been my saddle of choice for the past decade. I just wore one out and replaced it with...an original plain black leather Flite. It seems OK, but I still think I may hunt down another Genuine Gel. Tried a few other modern saddles, but didn't dig 'em.

v531xc
09-23-2018, 09:27 PM
Not a new saddle, but I have one of these in red if you are interested. I also have a preference for old Filtes, although the gel ones never quite did it for me.

FWIW, I've found comfort on the Cambium C15 series. I think the shape isn't too far off. Perhaps the comfort of the rubber is a facsimile for the comfort of the gel?

El Chaba
09-24-2018, 06:33 AM
I hate when a saddle model is discontinued. I like the original Flite shape and somehow ended up equipping a bike with a Genuine Gel model. It is a great saddle, and I only recently realized that they still have a bit of a cult following. Time to keep an eye on Ebay and put a couple on the shelf...

paredown
09-24-2018, 07:53 AM
This used to be my go-to saddle, got like a dozen of them. About six years ago, changed to Specialized Toupe 143, was quite happy with it for a while. Recently tried a couple of different saddles and all seemed to do fine in rides longer than 50 miles. They include: Prologo PAS CPC Scratch2, Giant Connect, WTB Pure V (more for gravel riding with the extra padding).
Weisan pal--one word--"Hoarder"

(kidding:))

paredown
09-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone--I started back riding with random older stuff, and have settled on a few things that seem to work for me, but I worry that perhaps there might be things out there that are 'better"

Sounds like I may not be confused that these saddles are a comfortable option for some segment of the population-and not just retro-grouches

benb
09-24-2018, 08:36 AM
I thought those old Flites were closer to 130mm.. or at least they became more like "effectively 130mm" because they were curved differently.

The new ones are true 145mm saddles and flat and they feel hugely wider to me.

The old ones were great, the new ones are just way too wide and terrible for me. Thank goodness for Fizik leaving the Arione the same shape for so long.

pdonk
09-24-2018, 09:03 AM
That was one of my favourite road saddles as well.

I've transitioned to fizik Antares saddles and find they work for me.

Width of a regular is listed as 140

timsmcm
09-24-2018, 08:37 PM

I'm pretty comfortable on Selle Italia Genuine Gel--the older versions with the embroidery and TI rails so they are not too heavy.

Has anyone transitioned from these to a newer saddle that has a similar fit? I think they measure around 140mm and look like this guy.

One of my all time favorites. I have this very same saddle on my #1 road bike and an original flite on my #2 bike. My mtb bike has a specialized phenom expert rides a lot like a flite but a tad stiffer.

bfd
09-24-2018, 10:03 PM

You should contact Selle Italia and ask if they could bring it back?! After all, there must have been sufficient demand for them to bring back the Flite 1990:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/selle-italia-flite-1990-saddle?v=0000000&adl=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6vquzJTV3QIVj8JkCh3jxAH0EAQYASAB EgJBk_D_BwE

https://static.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/sestr4-1.jpg

Personally, I’m in Avocet O2 saddles - anyone have one for sale? ;) so I too keep looking....Lol!

Good Luck!

kytyree
09-25-2018, 11:37 AM
I used to have one of those, I bought it when I was in college and something like that was an extravagant purchase. Moved it around from bike to bike many times, I believe I finally abandoned it, along with a bike, on the other side of the world when I decided the whole setup wasn't worth shipping home.

I'd say over the years it has gotten close between variations of the Regal and Flite as to which I've ridden more.

Gummee
09-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Personally, I’m in Avocet O2 saddles - anyone have one for sale? ;) so I too keep looking....Lol!

Good Luck!If I had one, I'd give it to you. Hated those things!

The last (only) one got sold or traded in the 90s

M

pdonk
09-25-2018, 12:09 PM
If I had one, I'd give it to you. Hated those things!

The last (only) one got sold or traded in the 90s

M

Hated mine too, but rode it until the cover fell off.

Still have it in a parts bin if anyone is interested for price of shipping.

jmoore
09-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Fizik Arione or Antares are close. I caem from exclusively Flite and Flite GG and these 2 have been the closest by far.