PDA

View Full Version : Threaded fork length question

KJMUNC
09-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Considering a little mini-project that would require swapping threaded forks and want to make sure I have the correct length. Yes, I know I could just pull the existing fork and measure, but I lost one of my headset wrenches so I'm just going by measuring the existing fork as it's installed.

So here are my two questions:

- the existing setup has a number of spacers between the top cup and the headset nut. I've never done this on any of my bikes, but assume it's because the fork was long and the original owner didn't want to cut it....is the common practice?

- the fork I'm looking to buy is 20cm from crown to top. Based on the photo below, it appears that's the exact length of the existing fork (tape starts below the bottom cup). Is there anything I'm missing on making sure the new fork is long enough?

I think it should be a pretty easy straight swap, but I've never swapped threaded forks before so I want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Appreciate any thoughts/guidance. Now I'm gonna go order another 32mm wrench....:rolleyes:

Hindmost
09-23-2018, 04:05 PM
You are able to accurately measure from the crown bearing seat on the fork? The two forks measure the same and they are about 8 mm over? You should be fine and you can cut the fork to the length you want. (Sure beats trying to make a too-short fork fit.)

Back in the day one never put extra spacers in the headsets. But there's no reason why you can't and on some bikes it helps out with the fit.

Spaghetti Legs
09-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Looks to me you measured correctly. The top of the fork will be a couple of mm below the top of the top nut. I would go for a fork a little shorter or, as noted plan on getting the new fork cut. If you're planning on using a different headset, you'll also want to compare stack heights.

At any rate, I hope the new build gets rid of most of those spacers because it detracts from the hint of a really cool bike. (Need more pics!)

jemdet
09-23-2018, 04:21 PM
You are able to accurately measure from the crown bearing seat on the fork? The two forks measure the same and they are about 8 mm over? You should be fine and you can cut the fork to the length you want. (Sure beats trying to make a too-short fork fit.)

Back in the day one never put extra spacers in the headsets. But there's no reason why you can't and on some bikes it helps out with the fit.

There should be a single key washer in between the lock nut and adjustable race (the two top bits with wrench flats). I think that spacers are only found on a bike that is too short for the rider, but what do I know? Indurain used spacers on his Pegs.

A potential advantage of spacers is that they can allow the use of two adjustable wrenches instead of one adjustable wrench and one headset wrench. Fit considerations should obviously come before that.

unterhausen
09-23-2018, 04:21 PM
I was thinking about this recently. The only reason not to have a spacer is looks. I was thinking it might be nice not to worry too much about the length of the steerer.

Hinault had spacers on some of his bikes. I'm not sure why. I feel it looks a little goofy on a race bike

icepick_trotsky
09-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Rivendells have spacers typically.

If your current fork is threaded far enough down, just cut it shorter.

cmbicycles
09-23-2018, 10:58 PM
It will never work judging by the looks of that bike, you should just pack the bike up and send it to me. I'll dispose of it properly. ;)
Seriously though, you should be fine to just swap it and if you want to take spacers out you (you need at least one, preferably internally notched) can cut it off a bit from the new fork and you'd be fine.

Mike V
09-23-2018, 11:29 PM
Are you trying to get rid of the spacers or do you want the new fork?

oldpotatoe
09-24-2018, 06:40 AM
I think it should be a pretty easy straight swap, but I've never swapped threaded forks before so I want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Appreciate any thoughts/guidance. Now I'm gonna go order another 32mm wrench..

Austin TX, I'll bet there's someplace to either borrow or buy a 32mm HS wrench..Make sure the new fork is long enough or you'll be lookin' for another one. Take old fork off and measure, fork crown race seat to end of fork..

BTW..not rocket surgery to get old fork crown race off and then on the new one but you can goon it up..I'd recommend using a proper puller and installer or yu'll be looking for a new HS...IMHO, of course.

jemdet
09-24-2018, 08:36 AM
Austin TX, I'll bet there's someplace to either borrow or buy a 32mm HS wrench..Make sure the new fork is long enough or you'll be lookin' for another one. Take old fork off and measure, fork crown race seat to end of fork..

BTW..not rocket surgery to get old fork crown race off and then on the new one but you can goon it up..I'd recommend using a proper puller and installer or yu'll be looking for a new HS...IMHO, of course.

The "proper puller" that he's discussing has two parts - a flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

A "proper installer" is a piece of steel that is slightly large than the steerer smashed violently into the crown race. Your "proper puller" can also double as a "proper installer," just make sure that you turn your hands to a higher precision setting before beginning.

... Just kidding :)

Consider wearing ear protection when installing the crown race, it can be surprisingly loud. Make sure it's fully seated, too. The crown race is the hardest part of an easy process.

KJMUNC
09-24-2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts. The spacers on the existing bike (Yates's Caloi) don't bother me other than aesthetically but I would like to get a slightly longer stem for a tad longer reach but that's a diff problem.

Sounds like I'm good to go with the new fork. It's a Rockshox Roubaix that I'd like to have for gravel/fire road riding that I'd keep as a backup setup. Will update the thread when I finish the project. Just need to figure out what sort of long reach brake is best to use once I get the fork.

oldpotatoe
09-24-2018, 09:31 AM
[B]... Just kidding :)

Hope so..I sold a-many fork crown races for people who weren't using the 'proper tools'.

oldpotatoe
09-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts. The spacers on the existing bike (Yates's Caloi) don't bother me other than aesthetically but I would like to get a slightly longer stem for a tad longer reach but that's a diff problem.

Sounds like I'm good to go with the new fork. It's a Rockshox Roubaix that I'd like to have for gravel/fire road riding that I'd keep as a backup setup. Will update the thread when I finish the project. Just need to figure out what sort of long reach brake is best to use once I get the fork.

Don't think that used a long each brake..unless you are putting something other than a 700c wheel on it.

KJMUNC
09-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Don't think that used a long each brake..unless you are putting something other than a 700c wheel on it.

Sweet....one less thing to buy!

Hindmost
09-24-2018, 11:04 AM
...It's a Rockshox Roubaix...

Why didn't you say so! Too cool. Forget cutting the steerer use spacers. They're not making them anymore.

93KgBike
09-24-2018, 04:25 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697967293&stc=1&d=1537799704

Lemond with a suspension fork? More photos please! Those Roubaix builds always make my brain go, "Andrei Tchmil." Once I was a kid and he was the man; now we're both old men.