PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Trek Madone vs. 2019 Specialized Venge

DarrinNYC
09-23-2018, 03:46 PM
I'm in the market for a 2019 Trek Madone SLR or Specialized Venge Pro. What is feedback regarding the ride quality? I want a little more comfort and compliance than most aero bikes offer, but these two are the leading contenders. I just don't want the crap beat out of me by every single bump in the road around NYC. I'd LOVE to test ride one, but needing a 61 or 62cm frame, that's very unlikely! :)

Darrin in NYC

m4rk540
09-23-2018, 04:18 PM
Madone rides better and is possibly more aero.

kppolich
09-23-2018, 04:27 PM
I'm in the market for a 2019 Trek Madone SLR or Specialized Venge Pro. What is feedback regarding the ride quality? I want a little more comfort and compliance than most aero bikes offer, but these two are the leading contenders. I just don't want the crap beat out of me by every single bump in the road around NYC. I'd LOVE to test ride one, but needing a 61 or 62cm frame, that's very unlikely! :)

Darrin in NYC

Disc model for both?

DarrinNYC
09-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Disc model for both?

Yes on discs for both. The Venge is actually disc-only for 2019 while Trek still offer rim or disc.

Burnette
09-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Trek has a few neat features for comfort and if you have the coin they the Project One option too. Here are some general data points on prices, weights, components and features.

https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/2019-specialized-venge-ten-things-to-know

https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/new-2019-trek-madone-ten-things-to-know

ltwtsculler91
09-23-2018, 06:34 PM
The ride on the Trek with the isospeed, is second to none. So for an "everyday/all-day" aero bike, I'd definitely lean there over the Venge.

Two of the guys I know here in North Jersey have quite large Madones (I think one is a 60 and the other a 62?), and love the bikes..

DarrinNYC
09-23-2018, 06:39 PM
The ride on the Trek with the isospeed, is second to none. So for an "everyday/all-day" aero bike, I'd definitely lean there over the Venge.

Two of the guys I know here in North Jersey have quite large Madones (I think one is a 60 and the other a 62?), and love the bikes..

I might need to friend these guys! :) Are they RCC members, by chance? I'd get the Trek at Danny's in Manhattan... I'd get the Venge from Nelson at Strictly Bicycles.

jinbok
09-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Madone all the way.

zzy
09-23-2018, 07:03 PM
If ride quality is the concern I don't know why a Venge is even in the running. The Madone is a really nice ride. Personally I'd suggest a Domane but you can't go wrong with any of Trek's current top offerings. You also may want to hit up Bicycle Habitat. They just closed down their Soho store and would probably do a deal for ya, tho it's unlikely in your size, but worth a call.

DarrinNYC
09-23-2018, 07:16 PM
If ride quality is the concern I don't know why a Venge is even in the running. The Madone is a really nice ride. Personally I'd suggest a Domane but you can't go wrong with any of Trek's current top offerings. You also may want to hit up Bicycle Habitat. They just closed down their Soho store and would probably do a deal for ya, tho it's unlikely in your size, but worth a call.

You read my mind! I already have a 2018 Domane! I love it! I just want something that gives me a little more speed for my faster road rides.

ltwtsculler91
09-23-2018, 07:48 PM
I might need to friend these guys! :) Are they RCC members, by chance? I'd get the Trek at Danny's in Manhattan... I'd get the Venge from Nelson at Strictly Bicycles.

Nope, we all ride out of Cyclesport in Park Ridge, NJ. If you're willing to take a ride up here, it's a great shop and the crew would make sure you're well taken care of.

rnhood
09-24-2018, 05:18 AM
Both are very good bikes, so you won't go wrong with either. I should mention that if its comfort you're after, the Emonda and Tarmac will ride a little better in this regard. So if you're not planning to be on the front of your group a lot, my recommendation is to consider one of these. But you will be in good company with either of your prospective choices.

eric01
09-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Anyone have a direct comparison of comfort between madone vs emonda? Wonder if the isospeed beats the emondas built in “vertical compliance”

Tony
09-24-2018, 09:50 AM

Spent a couple weeks on a Domane sl7, very nice!

quickfeet
09-24-2018, 04:24 PM
I’ve owned a new gen madone, emonda, and Domane recently and all are awesome. I would say that the rear end of the madone matches the emonda in compliance but the front end was a little stiffer comparatively. This was on the previous 1piece bar/stem not the 2019 set up though. The madone always felt like it wanted to pick up speed and was awesome. The emonda just did everything really well. Personally, If I owned a Domane I would buy a madone. Right now I have a Boone until I buy a new p1 emonda Disc.

DarrinNYC
09-24-2018, 07:56 PM
I’ve owned a new gen madone, emonda, and Domane recently and all are awesome. I would say that the rear end of the madone matches the emonda in compliance but the front end was a little stiffer comparatively. This was on the previous 1piece bar/stem not the 2019 set up though. The madone always felt like it wanted to pick up speed and was awesome. The emonda just did everything really well. Personally, If I owned a Domane I would buy a madone. Right now I have a Boone until I buy a new p1 emonda Disc.

We share the same Trek addiction! I have a 2015 Emonda SL (H2) with Ultegra 6800. Light and super strong climber. I have a 2018 Domane SLR (H2), and it's the most comfortable yet fast bike I've ever ridden. Naturally, having a real race bike is my next goal here. I'm confident that I'd love the new 2019 Madone, but the issue is fit. I'm not sure the new H1.5 fit will get me tall enough. I talked with a guy in P1, and there is a limit to the length of the steerer tube they'll send (liability reasons), so I have around a 15mm gap in the stack I need vs. the stack I can get from the Madone. The new 2019 Venge will fit me, but I'm sure it won't be as comfy as the Trek would be IF it was tall enough in the stack.

Darrin

Cyzemup
10-01-2018, 08:51 PM
Have owned a Madone and currently a Specialized Tarmac. I thought the Madone was awesome until I got a Tarmac. The two bikes didn't compare. The Tarmac seems to ride smoother, faster acceleration and stiffer. The Venge might be a different story though.