PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your firefly seatpost?

bicycletricycle
09-23-2018, 12:57 PM
I am generally suspicious of all the seat posts that work like the firefly/enve. They seem to be more likely to slip and tend to have less rail support. I am a big person so these two attributes are not ideal, however, This style of post is getting more and more popular and I am curious about people’s experience with them.

I am specifically interested in your experience with firefly posts, especially if you are large.

weiwentg
09-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Firefly's page does say they use Enve's seat clamp, so you might as well ask people with Enve posts the same thing.

bicycletricycle
09-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Firefly's page does say they use Enve's seat clamp, so you might as well ask people with Enve posts the same thing.

I would be surprised if the change in material didnt effect the holding power.

happycampyer
09-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Fwiw (data set of 1), I had problems with an Enve post slipping, but so far I have not had any problems with my Firefly post which, as weiwentg notes, has an Enve clamp. I weigh 170 - 175 lbs, so that could make a difference.

tuscanyswe
09-23-2018, 01:41 PM
I have had issues with the older enve clamps. It nearly dumped me backwards, luckily i got a hold of the bars in time.

The redesign does not have this problem (im told). I have had one of these as well and dident experience any issues and the design should prevent it from pivoting in a circular motion like the older version.

Also still have the enve older round version on a lynskey ti post. It works fine when overtightened. I would not dare ride it (no handed) with suggested torque tho, but i got spooked the first time..

R3awak3n
09-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Its really interesting how some people have had all sorts of problems with enve post and others do not. I have had a few and 0 issues of slippage. I am also not a small guy. 200lb+ club here.

It has to be either installation or where the saddle is placed, maybe too far back or too far forward creates problems? I am not sure because mine has been set and forget. I did follow this instructions to a T on this one, greasing the only the hardware that is suppose to be greased, did not even tight it to the prescribed torque.

I actually like the old post more than the new one, the new one is weird to me, you have to flip the craddle in order to get some angles, kinda clunky.

Personally I would buy the firefly post without any concerns for the clamp mechanism... You mention material but my english ISP also used the enve clamp and also never ever had a problem.

Gummee
09-23-2018, 04:42 PM
I haven't owned either of the 2 posts we're talking about, but I have had similar posts. As long as you aren't launching yourself onto them ala CX you should be fine.

I'm a fan of the 2-bolt posts tho. Easier to tweak the position to 'just so' and have it stay there.

M

ergott
09-23-2018, 05:05 PM
I've always used a bit of carbon grip paste in between the rotation bits on posts like Enve (others use it too). They don't slip.

Andy340
09-23-2018, 05:42 PM
Had the version 1 enve clamp in a TI lynskey post and it slipped when I hit a pothole and my weight rotated front of saddle toward top tube. Version 2 clamp looks like it would solve this rotation problem but I prefer the rails to have more support so use a pmp post.

hollowgram5
09-23-2018, 05:45 PM
I rode an Edge post for a bit and it will probably end up in my Cielo. After I torqued things to spec, I never had any issues with slipping and I'm a fair bit north of 200#.

R3awak3n
09-23-2018, 06:05 PM
I rode an Edge post for a bit and it will probably end up in my Cielo. After I torqued things to spec, I never had any issues with slipping and I'm a fair bit north of 200#.

I seriously think ppl have slipage on those posta because they are not torquing enough or not greasing the bolt or getting grease where its not suppose to go. I have heard of 140lb guys having it slip but 2xx lbs not having a single peoblem

buddybikes
09-23-2018, 06:13 PM
V2 of enve clamp is not compatible with V1, so make sure you get V2, 2 bolts are certainly better than one. Due to (previous) using less that 100% good allen wrenches, I need to replace the bolt on mine as the head is a bit stripped. But it is holding well now so I forgot. (and I finally got good torque).

If you get one, have some nice anodizing done of your favorite thing.

JAWN
09-23-2018, 06:19 PM
I had an Edge (Enve) gen. 1 post for years on my old road bike and never had a single slip issue. My weight has yo-yoed a bit over the course of that post. I was as heavy as 185 and as light as 165. The only reason I stopped using it is my new road bike doesn't take the same size diameter post.

On the same bike, I'd had an Eriksen Sweatpost and it slipped a number of times. I loved the design/look but it just did not hold so I got rid of it pretty quick.

I (briefly) used a Bontrager post of similar design and absolutely hated it. It slipped constantly and never held properly. I returned it immediately.

I now have the gen. 2 Enve post on my new road bike and so far it has been great.

thegunner
09-23-2018, 06:48 PM
i have a firefly seatpost. it is fantastic. :banana:

also pertinent, i weigh 145

SlowPokePete
09-24-2018, 03:14 AM
My Lynskey post uses the one bolt Enve clamp.

The first time I set it up I had the seat a little too far forward. I loosened the bolt, but the clamp was stuck...and it WAS torqued to spec. Well, I did get the clamp out with a mallet, and re-installed seat in the proper place. I've never had it slip, but I'm not sure it's coming out of there again! It seems like the edge of the "hole" it sits in digs into the clamp a bit.

Anyway, almost 2,500 miles trouble free now.

I do have a BlackSheep ti seat post on my Kona Raijin that uses the BEST CLAMP EVER - Thomson

SPP

soulspinner
09-24-2018, 06:35 AM
I've always used a bit of carbon grip paste in between the rotation bits on posts like Enve (others use it too). They don't slip.

This...…

rst72
09-24-2018, 10:15 AM
One issue I have had with the the Enve post is that it would not secure the Fabric Scoop saddle with carbon rails. Too big for the small hardware and just barely too small for the oversize hardware. i was getting up/down movement and loud creaks. Very frustrating and it took a good while to figure out. Ultimately I swapped for the Ti rails version (small hardware) and problem solved.

ColonelJLloyd
09-24-2018, 11:30 AM
This...…

+1 to carbon paste.