PDA

View Full Version : OT: Looking for info regarding commercial-free TV watching

Red Tornado
09-22-2018, 12:59 PM
I HATE sitting through TV commercials. Can only remember a few times when a commercial actually made me want to look into or buy something. Seems like there's more commercials on now than ever. Some stations seem to devote more time to running commercials than showing the actual program (AMC & CMT come to mind). I see them as a waste of my time, and nowadays the different networks all seem to run them at about the same times, so lots of times can't flip the channel and watch another actual program.

I know about Netflix, but are there other options to stream shows to avoid commercials? Are Roku, Sling TV and the like able to do that or just a way to get around paying for hi-priced cable/sat and still have to sit through ads? I seem to remember Hulu maybe being a streaming option? I'm not real savvy on these options as you can probably tell so looking for info, pros/cons. Not adverse to going the antenna route for local channels if I can find a good option for the "cable" type stuff. We do have good Internet and if I went to something like this, would be willing to upgrade it if it would help.

Thanks in advance.

SoCalSteve
09-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Get a DVR, record the shows you want to watch and fast forward through the commercials. Done!

Grant McLean
09-22-2018, 01:04 PM
News - Youtube
Sports - DVR
TV/Movies - Netflix

Grant McLean
09-22-2018, 01:07 PM
News - Youtube
Sports - DVR
TV/Movies - Netflix

I should have also mentioned the Google Chrome ad blocker for YouTube
is essential!

-g

Mark McM
09-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Obviously you can't skip/block commercial from live broadcasts, but there are several products that can skip commercials when viewing programs later. Here's a few:

Hulu allows you to stream many broadcast and cable network shows. They also offer an extra cost tier called "Hulu Plus" that is commercial free. Typically shows are available to stream the day after they are broadcast.

The Tivo DVR service has a commercial skip feature. Commercial skip works on shows that are broadcast during primetime on the 20 most popular broadcast and cable network channels. Here's how it works: Set the DVR to record a show that is broadcast during primetime on one of the channels that is covered by commercial skip. The Tivo home office will determine when the commercials start and stop on the shows on these channels, and within an hour or so after the show ends, they will download a database of this information to your DVR over its network connection. A 'SKIP' icon will appear next to the show in your recordings list to indicate that commercial skip is available for that recording. When playing back the show, when commercials start a message will appear on the bottom of the screen indicating that they can be skipped. Press a button on the Tivo remote control, and playback will skip ahead to the end of the commercial. (Note: The Tivo can not automatically skip over the commercials due to legal reasons.)

Horsfan
09-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Hulu - pay for the premium...
Netflix
Youtube - Again, pay the 12 bucks a month - well worth it.

How tech savy are you ? How comfortable are you with some simple programming and installing? If you are comfortable, you can get a NVIDIA shield (google it) and install KODI. What you do with KODI is up to you. I used it to watch European TV I couldn't get otherwise... Others use it to watch 'illegal' TV streams, 'illegal' movies, etc... Personally, I don't mind paying for Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Amazon prime, etc... as they produce content and people deserve to make a living. We also 'buy' movies and 'rent' digital movies for the same reason - when they are reasonably priced. I digress -

The beauty of Kodi is you can watch TV you otherwise would not have access to see... even if it might be 'grey market'. Hey, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to see media from all around the world today. I would much rather watch the spring classics in French or Flemish. :)

Lots of info on Kodi - Youtube is your friend.

One more nice option is to get a cablecard from your provider, and get a HD homerun - then watch TV on your computer, using it as a DVR so you can skip commercials. Again, youtube...

Good luck!

echappist
09-25-2018, 06:14 AM
Hulu - pay for the premium...
Netflix
Youtube - Again, pay the 12 bucks a month - well worth it.

How tech savy are you ? How comfortable are you with some simple programming and installing? If you are comfortable, you can get a NVIDIA shield (google it) and install KODI. What you do with KODI is up to you. I used it to watch European TV I couldn't get otherwise... Others use it to watch 'illegal' TV streams, 'illegal' movies, etc... Personally, I don't mind paying for Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Amazon prime, etc... as they produce content and people deserve to make a living. We also 'buy' movies and 'rent' digital movies for the same reason - when they are reasonably priced. I digress -

The beauty of Kodi is you can watch TV you otherwise would not have access to see... even if it might be 'grey market'. Hey, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to see media from all around the world today. I would much rather watch the spring classics in French or Flemish. :)

Lots of info on Kodi - Youtube is your friend.

One more nice option is to get a cablecard from your provider, and get a HD homerun - then watch TV on your computer, using it as a DVR so you can skip commercials. Again, youtube...

Good luck!

Could you watch the BBC?

jlwdm
09-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Could you watch the BBC?

I have a friend that has the Nvidia Shield and Kodi and he can basically watch anything in the world. All the way down to some person recording a movie in a theater on a phone.

Jeff

ptourkin
09-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Could you watch the BBC?

I stream the BBC with a vpn. You need to google a postal code and enter it when you first sign up.

bikinchris
09-25-2018, 07:00 PM
Get a DVR, record the shows you want to watch and fast forward through the commercials. Done!

+1 Unless you pay a lot of money, your going to have to deal with commercials. These programs cost a lot of money to make. Nothing is free.

eddief
09-25-2018, 07:22 PM
and then fast forward through all the BS. I have gotten so used to fast forwarding that I now watch a lot of sports on fast forward and watch the score board bug at the same time. When I see the score board change, I rewind to watch the action. i think it's called speed watching.

kramnnim
09-25-2018, 07:28 PM
The Tivo DVR service has a commercial skip feature.

And it works very well.