PDA

View Full Version : Philly to Florida?

jemdet
09-20-2018, 02:19 PM
A buddy of mine is getting married in Key West next June and I'll be riding down the coast(ish) to get there. I'll be starting in Philly.

I've done four tours previously, typically 80-120 miles a day. I'll be pushing for longer days along with some night riding. My rough sketch of a route puts the total distance at about 1700 miles in no more than 15 days.

Are there any cities or towns that I shouldn't miss? Good dirt or gravel on the way? Are there weather patterns typical of the mid/southeastern cost during late May? Prevailing headwinds, tailwinds? Any info on the route or night touring is appreciated.

joosttx
09-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Hurricane Lounge which is attached to a Shoneys in Ocilla, Ga is a lovely night spot. It has a dance floor and a DJ. Bring a knife or small pistol.

Seriously sounds like fun.

Ralph
09-20-2018, 03:19 PM
1700 miles in 15 days. Take shortest route. US 17, US 1, and A1A, and some other less traveled N/S routes. I 95 has most of the N/S road traffic. Don't know how you can avoid some busy roads here and there. A1A in Florida is scenic, and brings you down the coast, low speed limits. It's more complicated than what I've said, A1A comes back to mainland and US 1 here and there. But you can figure it out. Coming around Va, etc.

veggieburger
09-20-2018, 03:56 PM
A buddy of mine is getting married in Key West next June and I'll be riding down the coast(ish) to get there. I'll be starting in Philly.

I've done four tours previously, typically 80-120 miles a day. I'll be pushing for longer days along with some night riding. My rough sketch of a route puts the total distance at about 1700 miles in no more than 15 days.

Are there any cities or towns that I shouldn't miss? Good dirt or gravel on the way? Are there weather patterns typical of the mid/southeastern cost during late May? Prevailing headwinds, tailwinds? Any info on the route or night touring is appreciated.

I don't want to derail the discussion, but I'd love to hear about the equipment you plan to use, what/how to pack, etc etc. Sounds like an amazing trip!

el cheapo
09-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Lived in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tallahassee, and Temple Terrace (Tampa). Been gone for 20 years but don't miss the crazy rude drivers at all. Remember back in the late 70's I was riding at Lauderdale beach and ran into another rider that was riding to Key West. Taking his time (retired Navy) had been on the road for a couple months and departed from San Diego. Said the ride had been great up until South Florida where he was dodging nasty, nasty people with a hatred for cyclists. Be careful! Interior of state might be better than A1A for safety. However sights along A1A are never dull. On answering your questions...wind off the ocean...rains in late afternoon...skip the night riding.

KJMUNC
09-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Love it!

Was in Key West 10yrs ago and saw a skinny, tan kid riding into the airport on a beat down road bike. turns out he and a buddy left Ohio on a lark to ride to Key West and the buddy quit half way. that kid (was 17, just graduated HS) rode the rest of the way himself, relying on strangers for lodging and food. He had no tent and very little money.

Kids today should do more epic $hit like that.....

AngryScientist
09-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Love it!

Was in Key West 10yrs ago and saw a skinny, tan kid riding into the airport on a beat down road bike. turns out he and a buddy left Ohio on a lark to ride to Key West and the buddy quit half way. that kid (was 17, just graduated HS) rode the rest of the way himself, relying on strangers for lodging and food. He had no tent and very little money.

Kids today should do more epic $hit like that.....

man, that is excellent. epic for sure!

jemdet
09-20-2018, 06:02 PM
I don't want to derail the discussion, but I'd love to hear about the equipment you plan to use, what/how to pack, etc etc. Sounds like an amazing trip!

Sure! I ride my own frames. My current touring frame has road / cross geometry. Double OS Columbus tubing except for the tapered Reynolds seat tube. Angles are fairly relaxed, decent saddle-to-bar drop. This is the first year that I've considered using aerobars, it's just so flat from NC to FL. Might be time to dust off those Scotts...

I use Paul cantilevers and Conti 4 Seasons 32s. I used to use 4000s in 28, but a nasty sidewall gash a few years ago gives me pause. My gearing has gotten closer to 1:1 as years go on. Currently a 50/34 up front and 11-32 in the rear. Shimergo, Campy Chorus 10 ergos shifting an XTR 952 RD across an 8 speed cassette. It works so well! Front shifting is handled by a 9000 bar end mounted on the downtube, which can fill in as a rear shifter if my ergo goes wonky. The 8 speed cassette helps in that regard, I don't like friction shifting on cassettes with more than 8 cogs.

I typically throw everything on the rear rack, but my gear has been trickling towards the front of the bike. It's just hell on rear wheels to support that kind of load, especially on mixed surfaces.

I pack a tent, down sleeping bag, and enough clothing to handle night-time cold and day-time rain. Clothing is the easiest thing to pick up on the open road, I'm not terribly concerned about it. Some Patagonia leggings and fleece. Other than that, it's just disposable cameras and repair items. Chamois cream is essential. Usually four tubes and a spare tire. Oh, and sunscreen!

You can't leave home without paper cue sheets, but I've primarily moved to Garmin navigation. I have a battery pack that can keep my phone and Garmin topped up for days at a time. I'm considering getting a second (or third) for the trip this year. Not much need to worry about weight on this sort of terrain.

jemdet
09-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Lived in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tallahassee, and Temple Terrace (Tampa). Been gone for 20 years but don't miss the crazy rude drivers at all. Remember back in the late 70's I was riding at Lauderdale beach and ran into another rider that was riding to Key West. Taking his time (retired Navy) had been on the road for a couple months and departed from San Diego. Said the ride had been great up until South Florida where he was dodging nasty, nasty people with a hatred for cyclists. Be careful! Interior of state might be better than A1A for safety. However sights along A1A are never dull. On answering your questions...wind off the ocean...rains in late afternoon...skip the night riding.

Thanks for the info - I was planning on staying central just in case I need to bail and take the ferry from Fort Myers. Can't get all the way down there and miss the wedding :)

jemdet
09-20-2018, 06:09 PM
1700 miles in 15 days. Take shortest route. US 17, US 1, and A1A, and some other less traveled N/S routes. I 95 has most of the N/S road traffic. Don't know how you can avoid some busy roads here and there. A1A in Florida is scenic, and brings you down the coast, low speed limits. It's more complicated than what I've said, A1A comes back to mainland and US 1 here and there. But you can figure it out. Coming around Va, etc.

US 17 looks fine (if super boring) and is included in the rough route. I've ridden US 1 from DC to Baltimore and value my life too much to try it again. Is US 1 a little friendlier south of DC? I remember being without a shoulder for most of it.

jemdet
09-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Hurricane Lounge which is attached to a Shoneys in Ocilla, Ga is a lovely night spot. It has a dance floor and a DJ. Bring a knife or small pistol.

Seriously sounds like fun.

Can you recommend a dance-friendly MTB shoe? Maybe one that is also good for fleeing down alleyways?

Ralph
09-20-2018, 06:22 PM
US 17 looks fine (if super boring) and is included in the rough route. I've ridden US 1 from DC to Baltimore and value my life too much to try it again. Is US 1 a little friendlier south of DC? I remember being without a shoulder for most of it.

US 1 in Florida w/b 4 lane. Not much traffic on it S of Jax. But further S, WPB or so, it comes a parking lot.

You mentioned Ft Myers....that's on other side of state. if going there....would go thru center of Florida.

June is beginning of rainy season, means afternoon rain almost every day. Maybe Hard rains....can't really ride in it.

AngryScientist
09-20-2018, 06:26 PM
that stretch with all the bridges down the keys to KW is hairy, scenic, but i think dangerous. speeds are high and not much protected shoulder. i was down to KW a few years ago and remember specifically thinking that i would not want to try and ride a bike down through the keys. perhaps consider hooking up with a friend or something and hitching a ride the last leg?

Ralph
09-20-2018, 06:29 PM
https://www.greenway.org/

Check out the E Coast Greenway. Some maybe paved, some just lined off for bikes. Maybe some of this could get you thru hi traffic areas safely. 3000 mile Maine to Florida biking and walking route. Don't know how much is complete. The traffic on some of your route scares the heck out of me.

Too bad you don't have more time. Hundreds of small towns with Mom and Pop places to eat and pitch a tent.

jemdet
09-20-2018, 06:34 PM
US 1 in Florida w/b 4 lane. Not much traffic on it S of Jax. But further S, WPB or so, it comes a parking lot.

You mentioned Ft Myers....that's on other side of state. if going there....would go thru center of Florida.

June is beginning of rainy season, means afternoon rain almost every day. Maybe Hard rains....can't really ride in it.

10-4 on the rain. To pick a sample town, my route is going through Arcadia and then cutting SE towards Miami / the Keys. That way, I have the option of bailing and heading straight down to Fort Myers if need be.

Consistent afternoon rains mean that I'll need to get to Florida with time to spare

Ken Robb
09-20-2018, 06:45 PM
many years ago I had to be a no-show as a groomsman in a pals wedding because I had planned to fly from AL. to OK in a Piper Cherokee. The weather prevented my flying in a small plane. Heck, I'm not sure I could have made it flying United but my point is that some occasions are too important to chance getting there by any but the most dependable mode of transportation.

jemdet
09-20-2018, 06:56 PM
many years ago I had to be a no-show as a groomsman in a pals wedding because I had planned to fly from AL. to OK in a Piper Cherokee. The weather prevented my flying in a small plane. Heck, I'm not sure I could have made it flying United but my point is that some occasions are too important to chance getting there by any but the most dependable mode of transportation.

Duly noted - it would be a shame to miss it.

I'm not a groomsman and the bride and groom both know about and encourage my plan. I won't be in the middle of nowhere, and my 15 day "deadline" will get me there with time to spare. There is also a ferry bail-out that will shave off 300 miles of riding. Bike breaks down, I'll hop on a flight from Philly, or DC, or Charleston, or Jacksonville, or anywhere. Not like I'm in the mountains of Vermont.

The real risk is injury, or worse, and that's something that I can only help by being as prepared as possible. This would be a non-starter if I hadn't already put in thousands of miles of touring.

marciero
09-20-2018, 07:08 PM
that stretch with all the bridges down the keys to KW is hairy, scenic, but i think dangerous. speeds are high and not much protected shoulder. i was down to KW a few years ago and remember specifically thinking that i would not want to try and ride a bike down through the keys. perhaps consider hooking up with a friend or something and hitching a ride the last leg?

Am reminded of the harrowing description of cycling down that road in the Barbara Savage book "Miles From Nowhere". The chapter title "Dive or Die" gives some idea. That was late 1970's I think.

Ralph
09-20-2018, 07:11 PM
https://www.bikeflorida.net/coast-to-coast.htm

Much of this 250 mile Florida E Coast to W Coast trail is complete. A 20 mile paved (14' wide) section comes by my house. Probably winds around too much for your use.

Florida has great trails. Wide, fast, and not much crowded. Florida is building wide smooth paved protected trails all over the state....connected together. Thinking what the state planners call "eco tourism" is going to be huge. Actually, it already is.

Richard
09-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Going to portage the Carolinas?

jemdet
09-20-2018, 08:23 PM
Going to portage the Carolinas?

Depends - Will shimano pontoons do the trick? :)

I'll be slightly off the coast in NC and SC

jemdet
09-20-2018, 08:24 PM
https://www.bikeflorida.net/coast-to-coast.htm

Much of this 250 mile Florida E Coast to W Coast trail is complete. A 20 mile paved (14' wide) section comes by my house. Probably winds around too much for your use.

Florida has great trails. Wide, fast, and not much crowded. Florida is building wide smooth paved protected trails all over the state....connected together. Thinking what the state planners call "eco tourism" is going to be huge. Actually, it already is.

Might come in handy - I just wish that it trended NW-SE and not NE-SW

jemdet
09-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Gave it a cursory street view. There appear to be bike lanes, segregated paths, and decent shoulders on the bridges, no?

tombtfslpk
09-20-2018, 08:52 PM

A few years ago a group of nine of us rode from Key Largo to Key West, then back to Florida City. Riding and camping over five days the week after Christmas. We ended up in Key West for New Years Eve....Yowza!
There is a "bicycle route" that parallels A1A, The Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail, bike lanes and MUT. You won't have to ride every bridge, and the ones you have to ride have a pretty good shoulder. If there is an accident on A1A, you have the advantage on a bicycle, because traffic gets all tangled up on the mostly two lane road.
I enjoyed the trip and want to do it again.....maybe I'm strange. There is an organized ride I've been interested in, 72 Hours to Key West.

To jemdet, if I was going to ride from Philly, I might explore the option of riding to Ft Myers and taking the ferry to Key West. Just check the ferry schedule for your arrival date. There might be some routing options through Central and Western Florida. How do you plan to get back?

AngryScientist
09-20-2018, 08:55 PM
A few years ago a group of nine of us rode from Key Largo to Key West, then back to Florida City. Riding and camping over five days the week after Christmas. We ended up in Key West for New Years Eve....Yowza!
There is a "bicycle route" that parallels A1A, The Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail, bike lanes and MUT. You won't have to ride every bridge, and the ones you have to ride have a pretty good shoulder. If there is an accident on A1A, you have the advantage on a bicycle, because traffic gets all tangled up on the mostly two lane road.
I enjoyed the trip and want to do it again.....maybe I'm strange. There is an organized ride I've been interested in, 72 Hours to Key West.

?

i was not aware of that, good to know!

everbeek
09-21-2018, 09:57 AM
High pressure typically sets up in the summer off the southeastern coast and winds are more often out of the east/southeast rather than west/NW as typical in fall, winter and spring. Wind rose plots are helpful https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/climate/windrose.html
-Mike

idrinkwater
09-21-2018, 10:32 AM
I grew up riding in FL and did a NC to Maine tour a few years back. We used the ACA Atlantic coast maps and they were pretty good

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/atlantic-coast/

Also, you might wanna look into the Florida divide. Mostly gravel or single track, and significantly safer than 4 lane highways. Lots of other cool gravel specific routs on that website.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/597fb1c8e6f2e18d7fdbec11/t/5aafdce603ce643c081fe7e9/1521474823658/florida+divide+route+snip.JPG?format=1500w

https://www.singletracksamurai.com/florida-divide/

I encountered my share of hairy situations riding in FL but I never once needed a weapon.

93KgBike
09-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Although, once you get to Florida, summer weather more often comes off the Gulf and travels E by NE. And as others have already said, Florida gets daily afternoon downpours (3pm - 6pm), much like tropical countries. Also, Florida leads the nation for humans struck by lightening, and hearing thunder is enough reason to get indoors.

I'd use good paper maps to find non-interstate roads as you cross east to west making for Fort Meyers. Traffic is a major issue, and we all drive trucks, and there are a lot of truck drivers in their 70's and 80's. The highways are boring and ugly, but the country roads are beautiful.

I'd offer to feed you and put you up, but doubt I'll be near any trail you'd take. But let us know what routes you choose, you might find some PL's that will ride a stretch with you.

Good luck! Take photos and let us know how you're getting on.

+1 to idrinkwater's post above