PDA

View Full Version : Customs question...

SoCalSteve
09-20-2018, 08:36 AM
Hi all,

Bought about $600.00 worth of components out of Merlin Cycles in the UK for my incoming Colnago. I got this message from their tracking system and I’m not sure what it means, what the implications are, time frame and any cost to me.

I’ve purchased many items out of the UK over the years and this is the first time I’ve ever had this happen.

Please help me understand:

Standard customs procedure/under inspection Comment: Please be advised that this shipment is currently undergoing Standard Customs Procedure. Customs have held this and are inspecting the goods and will contact our agent in due course and advise them what they will need from the consignee to clear the goods. - LAX

Thank you all in advance!

Steve

fmradio516
09-20-2018, 08:40 AM
My order from them came in last week and I remember seeing the same message. Should clear in a day or so.

tuscanyswe
09-20-2018, 08:59 AM
yes those type of phrasing usually just means that your item has been scanned at customs. Usually it has nothing to do with if your package will be held or not or if it will be subject to duties. Its a standard line from the first scan at customs.

All my packages going to usa and most other countries get similar updates to tracking regardless of if there are duties to be paid or not.

AngryScientist
09-20-2018, 11:10 AM
$60 order from them last week. exact same message.

it'll clear customs in a day or two. no worries.

jmoore
09-20-2018, 11:14 AM
The threshhold for paying customs on items imported into the US is $800. Anything below that, you are good. Even if you get dinged, consider it cheap, esp when all the other stuff you have ordered from UK came in with no duty.

SoCalSteve
09-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Whew!

Thought I was gonna get a knock on the door from 2 burly looking customs officials telling me I should have bought Campy instead of Shimano. I was losing sleep over this.

Thank you all for quelling my fears!!!