PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Record Albums ?

Smiley
11-06-2006, 11:08 AM
What do u do with these old albums ? I just gave Rapid Tourist's mom my two old James Taylor LP's and I threw in an Alex Taylor LP just for kicks . So I have many other albums that have been played and I got stoned too while in College in WVa. So anybody want my Three Dog Night albums or some that are so old I am afraid to admit to owning. Should I just throw these out or what would you do that is right for the enviroment. If anybody wants this stuff give me your address and I will mail them to you. I have every Stones album within that era 1969 to 1980 ?

So what to do ... trash it all

William
11-06-2006, 11:11 AM
You could send them to me. But, you might want to check some collector sites first....some people will pay $$$ for vinyl

William

SoCalSteve
11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
At least in my city (Los Angeles) there are record stores that will buy old records (vinyl) from you for either cash or trade.

Example: You give them 7 records and thats good for 1 brand new CD. Oh, condition plays a big part in all of this, bot of the vinyl itself and the record cover.

Check it out!

Good luck,

Steve

jthurow
11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I've had luck finding albums at old book stores too so you might check those if you don't have any record stores trafficing in vinyl. And there's always the Salvation Army, Goodwill or St. Vinnie/DePaul. Back when I was living the QCA (hey, Frank!), I used to do a jazz radio show at one of the local college radio stations (KALA) and they had an incredible collection of classic and avant garde jazz vinyl. It was what kept me doing the show many years after it stopped being so novel. Those albums just sounded so full even with the little snap, crackle and pops.

jimi

davids
11-06-2006, 11:37 AM
You could send them to me. But, you might want to check some collector sites first....some people will pay $$$ for vinyl

William
I will gratefully split them with William. I promise to give them a very good home with the 1,000-odd vinyl records I already have. They will be treated very well. I dust my records before playing them, and they get to be spun on this guy:

http://home.c2i.net/jantoresvart/turntables/hw-19jr-oak.gif

Someone once asked me why I'd buy a multi-thousand dollar turntable for a dying technology. There's a couple reasons: (1) I figured it would cost $12-15,000 to replace my current record collection with CDs. That makes the TT a screaming deal. (2) I couldn't replace my record collection with CDs, anyway - probably 10% (the rarest, best portion) will never be available on CD. (3) Vinyl sounds fantastic.

Just this weekend, I listened to Special Beat Service, Peter Gabriel (III), and Country Life.

...but William's also right that, if you've got any interesting stuff, you might be able to get significant $$$ for the records.

Nic Schmidt
11-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Vinyl is the way to go. You could have as many discussions about what is the best medium to listen to (vinyl, cassette, cd, etc.) as you could with what to build a frameset out of...funny stuff :D

I say donate it...it'll make someone's day to find a good record after searching through bin after bin.

chrisroph
11-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I've got a vpi superscoutmaster with valhalla wire, a benz ruby 2 cartridge and a steelhead phono section. Vinyl sounds better, much better than digital if everything is going right. Its kind of like a great cotton sew up (eg a nos strada 66, or crit cotton) compared to a nylon continental. The contis work well but there's a smoothness and ease to the cotton tire that a conti lacks. The same is true for a great vinyl rig. Its smoother, easier on the ears, more realistic and lifelike that even the best digital. Also, the hunt for vinyl treasures in fun if you have the time. All vinlyphiles have various stories of the gems we found for $3. Your stones albums might be worth some money and many of us here would love some good clean first pressing stones albums.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I've got the same problem. I've got maybe a hundred albums that have just been sitting there for YEARS, taking up space in my living room. There' s software and connectors available to hook your turntable up to your computer and convert them to MP3, but as far as I know there's no way to get around the reality of having to actually play each record in it's entirety to get the info--at 35 minutes per album X 100 that's almost 60 hours of having to cue up discs. Ouch! Then you have to name the files, import them to iTunes or whatever program . . . AAAAGH!

Then add that to the fact that some of my favorite stuff was short run albums from obscure groups that you just would not find for sale online--and why should I pay for them again, anyway? I already DID once!

I saw an all-in-one machine advertised in the SkyMall catalog on a plane trip that did it all--had the turntable on top with a CD burner built into the front. But it was pretty pricey, and you still have to deal with then importing them into iTunes, renaming the files, etc.

I'm open to suggestions . . .

BBD

djg
11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't do much with LPs these days. I have a VPI turntable that looks a lot like the one in the picture above. I don't use it much, because I've got 4 year-old twins and no locked-away music room in which to install the thing. I like it, however, and will use it again regularly one of these days--I'm holding on to a few hundred albums in the meantime.

Bittersweet
11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
http://www.modernartisans.com/detail.aspx?ID=123

itsflantastic
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
All I listen to is vinyl these days, well except the ol' ipod in the car. . .
They sound better and are much more satisfying to listen to imho.

Well, I run a recording studio, and have the equipment to turn vinyls into cds. I'd be willing to offer this up as a service to forum members maybe in exchange for the actual vinyl?? See, I end up with the obsolete media form, and you end up with cds that you can burn, import, copy etc. . . Free exchange for what we both like.

Just a thought. And this offer won't stand if you have say, 2400 records. My time is still a bit valuable, or at least, that's what I like to tell myself :)

Dan

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2006, 01:25 PM
. . . but that only includes making the CD's, not renaming files? So I would still have to make photocopies of the song lists so I could organize everything myself?

BBD

itsflantastic
11-06-2006, 03:15 PM
you know, I'm not so sure how that would work out. I'll do a practice run tonight with some of my records and see what happens.
dan

davids
11-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Get a good turntable and a good stereo system. You will be happy you did.

http://i6.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/03/c1/11_1_b.JPG

chrisroph
11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Just play the records. They will still be going strong after the present redbook cd has been replaced.

fishbolish
11-06-2006, 06:17 PM
rega p9 ,vpi record cleaner, is my vinyl source. there are a bunch of turntables available that sound great @ a reasonable price these days,hopefully your audio system of present has a phono stage,there are many outboard phono stages available as well. First & formost listen to the MUSIC.........

chrisroph
11-06-2006, 07:35 PM
rega p2, p3, p9 are excellent. You can get a 2 or 3 used, perfect condition with cartridge for probably $600, the price of handbuilt wheels with tires and a cassette.

barry1021
11-06-2006, 08:14 PM
you know, I'm not so sure how that would work out. I'll do a practice run tonight with some of my records and see what happens.
dan
I would be VERY interested in your offer if you can do it, and if I wouldnt have to type in 8 kajillion song names. I have nothing unusual (from the Airplane and Bufflo Springfield to EmmyLou Harris and Talking Heads) but everything in verygood condition, many with plastic liners and the covers are good..

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2006, 08:44 PM
. . . you could get around having to rename all the files, but the important thing to me would be to get a CD that has clearly delineated separate files for each song. I saw some software somewhere that will do that for you--the software sees the silence between each song and automatically separates it into separate MP3 files. Maybe it was Toast? . . .

BBD

mike p
11-06-2006, 10:53 PM
They have College in WVa?

Mike