PDA

View Full Version : Dream bike demo fleet

tv_vt
09-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Just surfing around here, I see bikes I'd love to try out. Lately they all seem to be steel. So if I could order up a fleet of +/- size 60cm bikes to take out for some good long test rides, here's what the list might look like:

FlashUNC's lovely Della Santa
A Richard Sachs, maybe Lionel's for sale, but with a hair longer head tube
A Pegoretti Marcelo and a Duende, size 59 please
And sure, why not, a Zanc and a Hampsten (maybe a Zanc anniversary Max; not sure which Hampco steel frame - I love my ti GP and SB frames)

Edit: and let's add Clean's new Kirk to the list, for sure. Or any Kirk for that matter.
A Merckx MXL

d_douglas
09-19-2018, 12:06 PM
ha - I always find myself drooling over the same small crop of bikes. I could schedule a road trip to visit:

Cornfed
Bencolem
Poppawheelie
Kohlboto
a4racer (easy enough, he's local)

They could do the same for me in Victoria!

FlashUNC
09-19-2018, 12:10 PM
I'm glad I'm not shorter, otherwise I'd take all of Ryun's seconds.

Come on out to the Bay Area, we'll do some East Bay test rides.

happycampyer
09-19-2018, 05:52 PM
I'm glad I'm not shorter, otherwise I'd take all of Ryun's seconds.

Come on out to the Bay Area, we'll do some East Bay test rides.I thought you were closer to my height? If my bikes fit, stop by for some test rides when you’re on the east coast.

Before Ryun, there was Jack Brunk, RIP.

weisan
09-19-2018, 06:09 PM
One word : DBRK

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/landscape_928x523/2016/10/136_copy-h_2016.jpg

FlashUNC
09-19-2018, 06:19 PM
I thought you were closer to my height? If my bikes fit, stop by for some test rides when you’re on the east coast.

Before Ryun, there was Jack Brunk, RIP.

6'2" with a 34"-ish inseam, but pretty evenly legs and torso. Della Santa is a 58.5 with a 120 stem, Lobster closer to 59, and the Pegoretti is a 57.5 top tube with a 130 stem.

Anywhere in that 600 reach and 400 stack realm, and I'm good to go.

AngryScientist
09-19-2018, 06:26 PM
The only thing I can think of that i’d really like to try these days is very modern Ti. I get to rent modern carbon often enough that I have a good feel for that; and i’ve got top notch aluminum and steel covered. I have a few older ti bikes too, but am curious about something super modern in a ti frame.

Top of the wish list would be a Mosaic roadie with rim brakes and campy 12 speed.

Anyone got one of these in size 50 I can borrow :)

kohlboto
09-19-2018, 06:30 PM
ha - I always find myself drooling over the same small crop of bikes. I could schedule a road trip to visit:

Cornfed
Bencolem
Poppawheelie
Kohlboto
a4racer (easy enough, he's local)

They could do the same for me in Victoria!

I dig that idea!
I’d put Tim Porter on that list, too.

rheosibal
09-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Top of the wish list would be a Mosaic roadie with rim brakes and campy 12 speed.

I have an RT-1 in LA that you could try! Campag 11 speed though

thegunner
09-19-2018, 06:39 PM
The only thing I can think of that i’d really like to try these days is very modern Ti. I get to rent modern carbon often enough that I have a good feel for that; and i’ve got top notch aluminum and steel covered. I have a few older ti bikes too, but am curious about something super modern in a ti frame.

you ruined it by asking for campy.

nooch has a pronto and i have a firefly :p

joosttx
09-19-2018, 06:41 PM
pretty happy with what I got. I have ridden enough bikes to pretty much know what a type of bike is going to feel like within reason.

wgp
09-20-2018, 06:32 AM
Come to DC and you're welcome to ride my new-to-me 59cm Peg Marcelo. Still have my late 70s vintage Gios too, if steel is what's beckoning!

Fair warning: All Campy all the time :-)

KidWok
09-20-2018, 10:47 AM
I'd join in on this cus it's just my size...and could contribute a C50, a De Rosa, and a Davidson. There are a few others in my fleet that are nice as well, but more daily drivers without the flash.

MX Leader...I had one. Heavy, stiff, and overbuilt. Beautiful to look at. Couldn't imagine wanting to ever ride one again though.

Tai

Nooch
09-20-2018, 10:57 AM
you ruined it by asking for campy.

nooch has a pronto and i have a firefly :p

i mean i've got etap.... that's pretty fancy, no?

jet sanchez
09-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Bought a Peg last year and a Superprodigy as well, I am done buying bikes unless a nice Masi comes up locally (and for a good price).

KJMUNC
09-20-2018, 01:47 PM
MX Leader...I had one. Heavy, stiff, and overbuilt. Beautiful to look at. Couldn't imagine wanting to ever ride one again though.

Really? Man I love my Yates Caloi MXL....I thought the same thing about my 1st MXL but the 2nd one is so much better. Maybe I'm just heavier so I'm "overbuilt" too?!

My 60-62ish fleet in Austin (soon to be back in LA's South Bay) is always open for rides: the aforementioned Yates Caloi, Cipo's FG Lite, Boonen's EMX-5, Rast's Domane Classics, and a C40 Mapei.

Clean39T
09-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Edit: and let's add Clean's new Kirk to the list, for sure.

Make that Kirk(s) - will shortly have three fully functional fillet-brazed beauties ready for road, gravel, and trails..

As for other cast-offs, they'll be few and far between by the end of the year I expect. With those Kirks sorted, what else do I need besides an all-weather trainer and a spirited race-bike?

Famous last words.

tv_vt
09-20-2018, 02:18 PM
...what else do I need...?"

Famous last words.

Yeah, that's what I said to my wife a few years ago after getting a second Hampsten. Since then a Spectrum has come and gone, a Serotta carbon HSG has taken up residence, and a Zanc Al is on order.

Never say never.

Matthew
09-20-2018, 02:21 PM
No new bikes for me anytime soon either. My stable consists of a Colnago EPS, Serotta Meivici, Moots Compact, and an old school Moots Rigormootis 26er. Very happy with all of them and see no need to get anything else.

Clean39T
09-20-2018, 02:47 PM
No new bikes for me anytime soon either. My stable consists of a Colnago EPS, Serotta Meivici, Moots Compact, and an old school Moots Rigormootis 26er. Very happy with all of them and see no need to get anything else.

Who are you who is so wise in the ways of the world?

Teacher, make me thy pupil.

RobJ
09-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Yea really, who let him in here?? Enablers-only please :eek:

(I joke, he's a good guy and he's got my EPS)

Matthew
09-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Thanks Rob! You should list your crazy cool house full of bikes. Including the ones you let go. So ridiculously nice. And thanks again for the great deal on the EPS. Awesome bike, one of my all time favorites for sure. The others I was lucky enough to have found good deals. And an understanding wife. But I am maxed out. Or divorced!!