PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive...is it normal?

ricardinho
09-17-2018, 01:10 PM
So...I believe I am obsessing about road bikes. When I say obsessed, I mean I constantly think about what I have and always trying to get it lighter, faster, up to date, etc.

Who knows how much I have spent over the years, but I always say...you know if I add it all up, I would have my dream bike by now at $10k.

Oh and the N+1...should really be infinite.

Anyone else like this? Has it really become a problem where you required professional help?

Thanks

Aaron O
09-17-2018, 01:16 PM
So...I believe I am obsessing about road bikes. When I say obsessed, I mean I constantly think about what I have and always trying to get it lighter, faster, up to date, etc.

Who knows how much I have spent over the years, but I always say...you know if I add it all up, I would have my dream bike by now at $10k.

Anyone else like this? Has it really become a problem where you required professional help?

Thanks

I am definitely like this and I do request professional help. By professional help I mean mechanics and frame builders. :banana:

bikinchris
09-17-2018, 01:24 PM
You might as well buy the bike you really want. You are gonna get it anyway. These in between bikes are just wasted money.

hokoman
09-17-2018, 01:24 PM
I am definitely like this and I do request professional help. By professional help I mean mechanics and frame builders. :banana:

and fellow paceliners - aka enablers.

Clean39T
09-17-2018, 01:42 PM
The line between passion and obsession is fine, but meaningful.

I don't lose sleep obsessing over the trivialities of my bike builds and acquisitions. I don't neglect my other priorities and obligations as a husband, worker, etc.

I do however devote fanatical passion to getting my projects "just so", even if for one day, or one ride, before they are cast aside for others to enjoy. I revel in the process, the research, the conversations, and getting grease under my nails.

Ultimately though, if I lost the time or means to approach the hardware side of cycling in this way, I'd still ride and still deeply enjoy this beautiful sport.

In the somewhat adjusted words of Jeff Spicoli: All I need are some tasty roads, a decent bike, and I'm set.

The rest is gravy.

LegendRider
09-17-2018, 02:07 PM
You might as well buy the bike you really want. You are gonna get it anyway. These in between bikes are just wasted money.

So true.

LegendRider
09-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Thanks

I was kinda that way for many years. However, with the benefit of hindsight the better frames, lighter wheels, etc. mean nothing now. But, the trips to ride and watch races in Europe, do races and events with friends, etc. which were also costly mean SO much more. Get a nice bike and go make memories.

NewDFWrider
09-17-2018, 02:14 PM
I've been thinking about the problem of nice bikes over the past several months--and this thinking has accelerated after I stumbled upon the Paceline Forum. I've sort of convinced myself that what I really need is a book with lots of nice bike pictures. As someone earlier noted, it's not like you can ride all those nice bikes at once....

m4rk540
09-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Tis better to think while you're riding than think about riding. And best to not think at all. No mind!

If we weren't all obsessing over the hobby we wouldn't be on this forum.

onsight512
09-17-2018, 02:23 PM
I was like that for a time. It changed for me when I figured out what I really needed as far as fit goes. I was fortunate enough to get an awesome frame from a fellow forumite (thanks Jeff!) and I really have no desire to get anything else. Except for one of Dave Kirk's frames and a Llewellyn. Someday...

mhespenheide
09-17-2018, 03:50 PM
It's not a perfect mathematical relationship, but in general, the more I ride, the less I obsess about the bike(s).

cachagua
09-17-2018, 03:53 PM
The line between passion and obsession is fine, but meaningful.

I don't lose sleep obsessing over the trivialities of my bike builds and acquisitions. I don't neglect my other priorities and obligations as a husband, worker, etc.

I do however devote fanatical passion to getting my projects "just so", even if for one day, or one ride, before they are cast aside for others to enjoy. I revel in the process, the research, the conversations, and getting grease under my nails.

Ultimately though, if I lost the time or means to approach the hardware side of cycling in this way, I'd still ride and still deeply enjoy this beautiful sport...

NICELY put! That's just the way I operate (or try to). Thanks for expressing my sentiments better than I probably could have myself.

jlwdm
09-17-2018, 05:05 PM
I am obsessive about a lot of things - one thing for a while and then I move on to another.

Something must be wrong with me with bikes though as the last eight years have been by far my highest earning years and I have not purchased any bikes. I guess I did buy one frame and realized I did not need it and immediately sold it. I have a pair of wheels I had built five years ago and they have never been ridden.

I am happy with my Custom Serotta Nove (my go to bike for 11 years), my Custom Spectrum Ti (50 miles in 9 years; was in another state; time to ride it now) and my Serotta CSI (not custom for me but a perfect fit; it lives on my trainer).

Unfortunately, cars are another story.

Jeff

cachagua
09-17-2018, 05:39 PM
(Dang, I thought I was uptown with an Eddy Merckx on the trainer... guess not!)

sg8357
09-17-2018, 05:52 PM

Thanks

I got professional help, Chris Kvale built me a road bike.
Talk to your friendly frame builder and buy your parts from
your LBS. Those are the pros that can really help.

OtayBW
09-17-2018, 05:52 PM

Thanks
You haven't been around here too long. So, to answer your question: yes, there are others eat up with this chitz. Some I think are in the serious big leagues of obsession....not that there's anything wrong with that....:cool:

echelon_john
09-17-2018, 06:09 PM
As long as the cable ends are cut to identical lengths, the anodized cable end caps complement the overall aesthetic, the tire labels are centered on the valves, the logos on the cable casings are symmetrical, all cockpit parts are the same brand & level, and the frame was provided by someone with whom I have a personal relationship, then I’m good.

uber
09-17-2018, 06:29 PM
I think if you have the nature to obsess, it would be about something else if it were not bikes. If you think you could use some help from a professional, you are probably right. I don't know of anyone who could not benefit from talking to a skilled therapist.
I have three road bikes and could be happy with any one of them as my one and only (but if I really had to choose, it would be the Peg. It is that good). I am no longer lusting and don't feel a compulsion to upgrade to Campy 12. Three bikes, one wife. Much cheaper than....

avalonracing
09-17-2018, 06:55 PM
As long as the cable ends are cut to identical lengths, the anodized cable end caps complement the overall aesthetic, the tire labels are centered on the valves, the logos on the cable casings are symmetrical, all cockpit parts are the same brand & level, and the frame was provided by someone with whom I have a personal relationship, then I’m good.

That sounds like my definition of sanity too.

But to the OP, if you want to (possibly) get over this fun obsession just get your superbike. I had just started racing as a Cat 5 and I bought a Ti Serotta Legend with Campy Record, fancy handbuilt wheels, aftermarket titanium bolt kit, ti seatpost etc. This bike retailed for $5700 in the mid 90's when I got it. Which was a hell of a nice bike for a guy starting to do races where people crashed in crits every week. In fact, I bought a different bike just to race crits as this was too nice to be ruined in a crash so I saved it for the road races. But what this too nice of a bike for my skill did was cure my of bike lust. Sure, I still appreciate nice bikes (and have had a number of them) but I just haven't ever pined for the lastest or greatest bike of the year after owning one.

dynnendischord
09-17-2018, 07:11 PM
I'm actually a therapist, and if you're genuinely feeling worried about your obsession with bikes, and maybe if you've obsessed about other things that are similar in the past, you may benefit from at least a telephone consult. Not sure where you live but psychologytoday should be able to help you find a professional in your area that takes your insurance and is a match for what you're looking for help with.

Generally obsessions are sub-clinical if they don't cause impairment in your life. Have you ever been late to work because of the obsession? Ever lied to someone about it? Lost a personal relationship bc of it? Lost sleep or appetite? Basically the obsession isn't bad unless it's harming you in some tangible way. This of course shouldn't be a substitute for a phone consult, just wanted to try to help you with some perspective.

Louis
09-17-2018, 07:18 PM

It's just a phase - you'll grow out of it.

echelon_john
09-17-2018, 07:19 PM
That's crazy talk. :banana:

I'm actually a therapist, and if you're genuinely feeling worried about your obsession with bikes, and maybe if you've obsessed about other things that are similar in the past, you may benefit from at least a telephone consult. Not sure where you live but psychologytoday should be able to help you find a professional in your area that takes your insurance and is a match for what you're looking for help with.

Generally obsessions are sub-clinical if they don't cause impairment in your life. Have you ever been late to work because of the obsession? Ever lied to someone about it? Lost a personal relationship bc of it? Lost sleep or appetite? Basically the obsession isn't bad unless it's harming you in some tangible way. This of course shouldn't be a substitute for a phone consult, just wanted to try to help you with some perspective.

weisan
09-17-2018, 07:31 PM
This is the way I view my cycling pursuits.

If I am a dancer, I would do everything I can to improve on my dancing. I will try to learn from those better than me.

If I am a writer, I would want to perfect my craft. And to do that, I need to practice...a lot. I need to write....a lot. I need to get feedback from others to see how I can improve. I will have my list of favorite writers that I admire and wish to emulate.

If I am a pianist, I want to work on my techniques. I have to keep practicing until I get it right. I would like to play on a really good piano, the best if possible. I will have my favorite piece that I like to play over and over and over again.

If I enjoy cycling, I would like to get better at it. I want to ride more. I want to get better equipment. I want my bike to look good. I want to feel good when I am on the bike. I want to take my bike to interesting places. I want to do it with friends. I want to get in a community where there are like-minded people who enjoy cycling as much as I do, if not more, who know more than I do and are willing to share their knowledge, people can encourage and support me, opportunity where I can give back and return the favor...

I am not a dancer.

I am not a writer.

I am not a pianist.

I am a cyclist.

And that's one of the stations in life where I have decided I can commit my resources, time and energy to grow the most, enjoy the most, learn from the most, get fulfilled the most, share the most, love the most.

If that's an obsession, so be it.

bob heinatz
09-17-2018, 07:38 PM
It is not crazy to lust after a particular bike. I have a very nice Peg that rides like a dream but I will either have Tom Kellogg build my a custom Ti or Dave Kirk a nice steel bike. Do I need it no. But I crave for that last bike in retirement. We all have our priorties but this is not a obession.

Clean39T
09-17-2018, 07:41 PM
This is the way I view my cycling pursuits.

If I am a dancer, I would do everything I can to improve on my dancing. I will try to learn from those better than me.

If I am a writer, I would want to perfect my craft. And to do that, I need to practice...a lot. I need to write....a lot. I need to get feedback from others to see how I can improve. I will have my list of favorite writers that I admire and wish to emulate.

If I am a pianist, I want to work on my techniques. I have to keep practicing until I get it right. I would like to play on a really good piano, the best if possible. I will have my favorite piece that I like to play over and over and over again.

If I enjoy cycling, I would like to get better at it. I want to ride more. I want to get better equipment. I want my bike to look good. I want to feel good when I am on the bike. I want to take my bike to interesting places. I want to do it with friends. I want to get in a community where there are like-minded people who enjoy cycling as much as I do, if not more, who know more than I do and are willing to share their knowledge, people can encourage and support me, opportunity where I can give back and return the favor...

I am not a dancer.

I am not a writer.

I am not a pianist.

I am a cyclist.

And that's one of the stations in life where I have decided I can commit my resources, time and energy to grow the most, enjoy the most, learn from the most, get fulfilled the most, share the most, love the most.

If that's an obsession, so be it.Here-here!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
09-17-2018, 07:46 PM
as i often remind my wife: hey, it's better than a coke habit.

Louis
09-17-2018, 07:49 PM
As long as the cable ends are cut to identical lengths

What if, as you adjust them over time, the various cable ends grow and shrink at different rates, so they no longer all match? Do you then have to replace them all the cables and start over?

This might be a good reason to go electric & hydraulic. ;)

ricardinho
09-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Very good reads. Thank you to all. Seems I am not as obsessive as some of you...also, seems I don’t set aside enough money.

It’s all relative I suppose.

Thanks again, keep it going.

kppolich
09-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Very good reads. Thank you to all. Seems I am not as obsessive as some of you...also, seems I don’t set aside enough money.

It’s all relative I suppose.

Thanks again, keep it going.

I find it comes and goes. For a while i'll be in upgrade mode then i'll ride and decide that I need to be more fit, then one I hit a plateau or the seasons change I go searching for marginal gains. Just remember to buy and sell and not hoard too many parts. Use old parts to partially fund the new parts if the $ is the issue.