PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my Treks (ethical reasons)

Alaska Mike
09-17-2018, 12:55 AM
Inspired by the thread of a similar name. This is long, so excuse me in advance.

I have three Madones, which are my only carbon road bikes currently (other than my TT bike, which is a whole 'nother thing).

Madone 5.2 Pro- race training bike, which I use for fair-weather training and trying out new fit modifications.
Madone 6.9SSL- Nate Brown's old Bontrager Livestrong bike, which is exclusively used for crits.
Madone 6.9- My road racing bike.

Here's the quandary:
In addition to those three, I have the aforementioned TT bike, a Moots Compact, a Moots Vamoots DR, a generic Russian titanium bike, a Storck Visioner (dedicated to the trainer), and a Ritchey Break-Away CX.

Two years ago I broke my collarbone halfway through the race season (not in a race), which ended the season prematurely. Trying to recover, I overcooked myself and killed the early part of the next season. Just when I was coming around a bit, I fell hard in a crit and injured my hip- which took much longer to recover from. Months passed before I could walk without pain or turn the pedals, and I had gained 20 pounds and had no fitness left.

This season I rolled in overweight and under-trained. I had a couple results that were 'meh' before getting roped into a project that killed not only racing for me but riding. For three months, my bikes sat idle.

Long story short, I haven't raced much in the past three seasons. I ride the Moots Compact exclusively now and before that it was the Russian ti bike that got used 90% of the time. Nothing cleans up after a rainy ride like ti. I'm not sure I'll be in the same shape or have the opportunity to race in next few years, thanks to a career change. The crits I did on the Compact showed me it wasn't the Moots that was making me slow.

So, since I'm not using them much, should I keep the Madones? Is it ethical for me to keep a bunch of bikes I don't ride?

They won't be worth much. The 5.2 Pro shows its age. the 6.9SSL got an amateurish black paint job (orange peel) when I had some minor carbon work done, mainly because I wanted to cover up the logos and Lance affiliations (I'm not a billboard for RadioShack). The 6.9 is the best-looking of the bunch, but even it has a few years on it. Because of the shipping costs, I'd strip them down to the framesets for sale. The components I'd just recycle into future projects, because they aren't Trek-specific.

Maybe it's just the series of beat-downs I've gotten talking...

unterhausen
09-17-2018, 06:22 AM
I'm sorry to hear of all the setbacks you have suffered. I enjoy riding, but I also do it for my health. One of the worst mistakes I made was not riding for 10 years. Went from being in really good shape to a fat slug, and 10 years of riding after that hasn't totally changed that. I do a lot of trainer time now because it's a lot more time efficient.

My vote is to sell the bikes you don't use, but not for ethical reasons. Just to get out from under their emotional weight.

AngryScientist
09-17-2018, 06:48 AM
i'm the wrong guy to be asking, but i see no "ethical" problem with owning bikes that are not getting ridden. it's not as if it were food in your pantry going spoiled because you can't eat it all.

unless you really need the money or space, it may not even be worth your time to break them down and try and ship them out from AK. As you opined, they really dont have a ton of value as non current mass produced carbon bikes. the one you had carbon work done to and re-sprayed, i'd imagine is practically worthless on the used market.

i say keep them, and rotate using them as you can. carbon handles wet weather fine, no need to baby those bikes, they are not jewels.

the other advice is, i think cyclists tend to pigeon hole themselves into thinking that cycling is the only worthy form of exercise. cycling is a time consuming endeavor, and if work and other commitments are keeping you busy, especially where you live, i'd work on finding some other form of physical activity to keep you a fit, healthy human while you can't dedicate bulk amounts of time to cycling. swimming, rowing, racketball, etc - all great full body activities that keep the cardio system in top shape.

the bikes and the fitness will always be there when you're ready to return!

just some random monday morning thoughts from the other side of the country!

josephr
09-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Is it ethical for me to keep a bunch of bikes I don't ride?

Yes. :banana:

texbike
09-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Honestly, I would say that you're doing the ethical thing by NOT selling the bikes. Imagine what would happen to the 2nd hand bike market (and as an extension, the new bike market) if you (and the rest of us) decided to sell off all of the bikes in our garages that rarely get used. You could crash the economy!

So, unless you REALLY need the money, do your part to keep our economy artificially inflated by holding onto the bikes that you have. Hell, buy more! It's the ethical thing to do. ;)

Texbike

oldpotatoe
09-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Inspired by the thread of a similar name. This is long, so excuse me in advance.

I have three Madones, which are my only carbon road bikes currently (other than my TT bike, which is a whole 'nother thing).

Madone 5.2 Pro- race training bike, which I use for fair-weather training and trying out new fit modifications.
Madone 6.9SSL- Nate Brown's old Bontrager Livestrong bike, which is exclusively used for crits.
Madone 6.9- My road racing bike.

Here's the quandary:
In addition to those three, I have the aforementioned TT bike, a Moots Compact, a Moots Vamoots DR, a generic Russian titanium bike, a Storck Visioner (dedicated to the trainer), and a Ritchey Break-Away CX.

Two years ago I broke my collarbone halfway through the race season (not in a race), which ended the season prematurely. Trying to recover, I overcooked myself and killed the early part of the next season. Just when I was coming around a bit, I fell hard in a crit and injured my hip- which took much longer to recover from. Months passed before I could walk without pain or turn the pedals, and I had gained 20 pounds and had no fitness left.

This season I rolled in overweight and under-trained. I had a couple results that were 'meh' before getting roped into a project that killed not only racing for me but riding. For three months, my bikes sat idle.

Long story short, I haven't raced much in the past three seasons. I ride the Moots Compact exclusively now and before that it was the Russian ti bike that got used 90% of the time. Nothing cleans up after a rainy ride like ti. I'm not sure I'll be in the same shape or have the opportunity to race in next few years, thanks to a career change. The crits I did on the Compact showed me it wasn't the Moots that was making me slow.

So, since I'm not using them much, should I keep the Madones? Is it ethical for me to keep a bunch of bikes I don't ride?

They won't be worth much. The 5.2 Pro shows its age. the 6.9SSL got an amateurish black paint job (orange peel) when I had some minor carbon work done, mainly because I wanted to cover up the logos and Lance affiliations (I'm not a billboard for RadioShack). The 6.9 is the best-looking of the bunch, but even it has a few years on it. Because of the shipping costs, I'd strip them down to the framesets for sale. The components I'd just recycle into future projects, because they aren't Trek-specific.

Maybe it's just the series of beat-downs I've gotten talking...

I see no 'ethics' involved in owning or not owning a 'bike'..I'm a big believer in purpose driven bike but no duplication..I have a dry day bike(Merckx MXLeader) and a wet day bike(Moots Vamoots)..I don't like the idea of having 2 'dry day' bikes, as an example. When I was running, lots, I had 2 pair of shoes..same model, alternated to let the one used to dry out..I didn't like the idea of having to decide which same type bike or shoe to use...

I'd keep the 2 moots, and the Richey Breakaway..adios to the rest..put the CR on the trainer.

MY opinion..:)

peanutgallery
09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
You hit the nail on the head, the treks are not worth much and shipping is a hassle. Unless there's a local swap where can ditch them for beer $ and clear up some space

On another note, curious about the road riding in Alaska? Pavement is not a term that comes to mind. I would imagine that there would be some incredible multi-surface riding opportunities...and some interesting encounters with locals.

juanj
09-17-2018, 09:36 AM
For some people, owning a lot of "stuff" creates it's own psychic weight (for others, owning/collecting things is fun, and that's fine). You have framed this as an ethical question, and I think you are correct to do so. I also think unterhausen is right in pointing out that there is an additional "emotional weight" that these bikes carry because you associate them with your time as a racer and the injuries/challenges you experienced.

You have to decide what your attachment to these bikes means to you. Since the bikes are not worth much and you don't seem to want to hassle with selling/shipping/tearing them apart, perhaps the best course of action is to donate one of the bikes (to a local bike organization or another racer) and see how it feels? If you feel unburdened, move on to the next bike. Enjoy the bikes you ride, and if/when you get back into racing seriously, you can treat yourself to a new bike.

redir
09-17-2018, 09:41 AM
If you don't ride them then get rid of them. Someone else will appreciated it. You might consider just keeping one of the Madones that way you have a carbon bike in your arsenal.

chiasticon
09-17-2018, 09:42 AM
I'm a big believer in purpose driven bike but no duplication+1

I like the simplicity of "I'm riding on the road and it's summer, I'm grabbing the go fast road bike." or "it's winter, obviously I'm riding the fender bike." etc...

just choose your favorites for the purposes you see using them for. especially since riding time is at a premium, you should enjoy it and not feel guilty for neglecting your other bikes. it seems these things are more emotional/mental baggage for you than space/financial constraints. if it'll feel good to get rid of them and you'll be free of this baggage, even if you don't get a huge return for them, might as well.

jmoore
09-17-2018, 09:46 AM
If they aren't getting used, I say purge. IMO I'd rather see a frame getting used than sitting in a garage. Maybe donate them to someone just getting into riding. Get them on a good frame for cheap.

bicycletricycle
09-17-2018, 09:47 AM
It is okay for people to own things they are not using.

Hellgate
09-17-2018, 09:52 AM
You can burn your Nike's too. [emoji6]

Dave B
09-17-2018, 12:36 PM
If you think you will ever ride them then hang onto them, strip them down and put the frames out of the way.

If you truly do not think you will ride them then punt them and use the money to upgrade your current bikes or get something new.

Ethics and owning stuff really cause issues for some. I don't use ethics in buying stuff, but in my world, cheap is all that matters, so Trek, "replicas", or old stuff works.

I am sure if you put them up here they would sell fast. If they have a 56cm TT I know they will sell fast as it seems so many of us ride that sized frame.

But owning multiples of things like bikes, cars, watches, etc is nothing more then what you enjoy. I have more bikes then I need and have decided to keep two I was selling as the market, like you mention wasn't strong for those things and to me it was worth keeping and repurposing.

Let me ask you this. What did you want to hear when you posted the original conundrum?

mflaherty37
09-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Keep only one of them cause carbon has a shelf life🤗 If you sell all 3 you’ll come back to wanting to take a ride on a carbon frame. ATMO

Alaska Mike
09-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Just to be clear- quitting riding is not an option.

Well over a decade ago, after my knees went from too many hours on artificial soccer turf, I got fat. Obese. My mental image of myself was that of a skinny guy carrying a few pounds. I had no idea. I had gained 100 pounds over the course of a decade.

One day as I was wheezing and grunting as I tied my shoes for work, I looked over at my daughter's crib and realized if I kept going this way I wouldn't live to see her get married, much less dance at the wedding. It was that day I started riding. I lost a lot of the weight, got fitter, started racing, and started filling the garage with bikes.

I'm better when I ride, so I ride.

I'm kitted now as I type this to go out and ride. I'll walk past the bikes I won't be using to the Moots Compact, open the garage door, and ride the hills around Anchorage. The season is drawing to a close, so I know I have to get the miles in before I'm limited to the trainer for six months.

In Alaska we have a short season, but we pack a lot of stuff into it. In Anchorage we don't have much of a group ride culture, but we do have a relatively robust race calendar. Road, mountain, 'cross, rando, endurance... yeah, we have those bases covered.

Sure, it's chilly sometimes. Sure, it rains like it does in the PNW. Still, you can't beat the view.

I'm going to go out and ponder my quiver situation on the bike. I make my best decisions there.

Alaska Mike
09-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the input.

I decided to keep them. I'll hang them up where they won't get damaged, and hopefully pin on a number again sometime in the near(ish) future.

I have passed on several bikes in the past at low, low prices to get new riders into the game. A few of my old race bikes can still be seen on the trails and crit courses. However, these Madones are the ones that I settled on after years of trying just about every other major manufacturer's race-oriented bikes, then tweaked with various components to make them something more suited to my likes and needs. In other words, they're mine.

In a few years they may look like dinosaurs ("what, no electric pedal assist?"), but I just haven't seen meaningful progress in frame design in the last ten years that would warrant replacing them. They'll do...

AngryScientist
09-18-2018, 09:27 PM
what size bike do you ride Mike? serious question.

i may have a free weekend in ANC next month. :help:

Alaska Mike
09-18-2018, 11:05 PM
All of my bikes are in the 56cm range.

I have no idea if I'll be in town next month. Very good chance I could be on Point Barrow soaking up the sun or in some other garden spot.

If for some off reason I am in town and winter hasn't closed in, I'm always open to riding.