PDA

View Full Version : 650B wheels for gravel - options!

Clancy
09-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Will be picking up a Norco Search XR steel frameset at the end of the week. Plan on building it up using 650B wheels. Only problem, I know very little about the options out there.

What are my choices? Prefer center lock but not a deal breaker.

What inner width should I look for?

If I build some up with DT Swiss 350 hubs, what are my choices for rims?

oldpotatoe
09-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Will be picking up a Norco Search XR steel frameset at the end of the week. Plan on building it up using 650B wheels. Only problem, I know very little about the options out there.

Quite a few DTSwiss rims for 650b(27.5)
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/mtb/cross-country/xr-361/

Altho availability might be spotty.

This one too. Really nice rim

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/aileron-650b

Clancy
09-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Quite a few DTSwiss rims for 650b(27.5)
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/mtb/cross-country/xr-361/

Altho availability might be spotty.

This one too. Really nice rim

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/aileron-650b

Your thoughts on the DT Swiss XR 331?

I found the 361 on the DT Swiss site, but seems to be limited availability.

For reference, I weigh 155 lbs kitted up and ready to ride. I don’t see running anything wider than a 47c, on the 650B’s, probably a 35-38c from Panaracer or Compass.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2018, 09:06 AM

For reference, I weigh 155 lbs kitted up and ready to ride. I don’t see running anything wider than a 47c, on the 650B’s, probably a 35-38c from Panaracer or Compass.

Never seen or built one in the wild but like the R411, light rim. I can get you either..DT350 hubs as well or buy some and send them to me. XR331 and XR 361 both about $90...I like the 361 more better, PLUS rear OC..as it's a bit heavier(50 grams or so) and for smashing around n the dirt, not a bad thing.

Maybe 331 front and 361 rear? Altho they come with alloy Squorx, I'd build at least the front with brass.

yinzerniner
09-16-2018, 10:05 AM

If you want ready built wheels there are somewhat a decent amount of options for centerlock 650b/27.5. Dt Swiss, industry nine, Boyd, Reynolds, enve, shimano all sell wheelsets that have cl hubs. I know I'm missing a bunch of other manufacturers as cl is starting to become more widespread even on the mountain side.

For rims, there are only about 10 million options since 650b is the same thing as 27.5.

Inner width? Totally dependent on what size and design tires you plan on running, but in general you want to keep the tire at between 1.5-2x the inner width. So if you get a 20-22.5 id rim like suggested above, you're best served with a 30-45mm tire which is generally good enough for gravel riding.

Tons of options out there, really dependent on what riding you'll be doing. Determine the riding, which determine the tire, which determines the rim.

Wayne77
09-16-2018, 12:01 PM
I think the WTB options are excellent. They don’t get talked about enough. I love the i23 Frequency rims. Offset drilling, quite light, 23mm internal width I believe. A bullet proof mid-range build - i23 with DT350 hubs, 32H

The carbon Search XR Force 1x (I have this bike) actually comes with that wheel build stock...I really like the way they feel. EASY tubeless set up.

d_douglas
09-16-2018, 12:05 PM
I was wondering this myself - perhaps some DT prebuilts with out-of-fashion narrow MTB rims around 23mm ID - they must be giving these away?!

Wayne77
09-16-2018, 12:14 PM
one other thing I’ll add. The i23 wheels specd on the Force 1 XR model come shod with 2.1” mtb tires. That rim (somewhat narrow compared to current fashions) can take a high volume mtb tire...absolutely no problem. On a gravel bike I personally prefer a rim not too wide to give more flexibility with narrow and super wide tires. I ride older gen Enve XC90s and I find that rim width PERFECT for my needs. Before that I had ENVE M60s and while I liked the wheels, the width was too wide for some tire options I wanted flexibility to run and they were crazy hard to remove and mount tires. Maybe that has more to do with the hookless bead.

tlarwa
09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
I just bought some for my Marin Gestalt. Got a set of American Classic Terrains, which have a 22mm inner width. I mounted WTB Byway tires (tubeless) and they mounted great and seem to be a good match to that inner width. I’m happy, anyway!

yinzerniner
09-16-2018, 12:47 PM
I just bought some for my Marin Gestalt. Got a set of American Classic Terrains, which have a 22mm inner width. I mounted WTB Byway tires (tubeless) and they mounted great and seem to be a good match to that inner width. I’m happy, anyway!

I've got a set of nox skyline coming in and plan on reporting how wtb byways work on their 23mm id.

But to earlier points, it's totally not an exact science when it comes to id vs tire size. You can only go by what's been tried and tested as to whether certain rim will work well with certain tires. Case in point, I use Schwalbe pro one 28 on a set of Reynolds ATR 700s which are 23 id, which by common knowledge should be too wide a rim. But the ride at 65-70psi is sublime, and the tire to rim interface is fantastic.

R3awak3n
09-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Only have 300 miles on them but the Reynolds ATR II seems like a great wheel.

If I did not have this wheel I would have got a custom wheel, something laced to an easton arc, heart they are great (have 2 new arcs for sale if anyone is interested in building a custom 650b wheelset)

owly
09-16-2018, 05:58 PM

My 28spoke 331 650b wheelset currently has a 2.1 on it and does the job fine. 135 lbs.

.RJ
09-16-2018, 06:53 PM
Easton/Raceface Arc 24

markmdr
09-16-2018, 07:28 PM
I also wonder why people say its much more fun with 650b's.....

bigbill
09-16-2018, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I can run a 650 with a 47mm tire on the Coconino. The idea is a bigger tire that will still clear the frame. For now, I've got a 1.9" MTB tire on the front because the fork has ridiculous clearance. I've got a 38 on the back. It works for me.

yinzerniner
09-16-2018, 07:52 PM
I also wonder why people say its much more fun with 650b's.....

People say it's more fun because of the tires and where you can ride.

700c/29x28mm tires is about the same size as 650b/27.5x47mm, so you'll still have the same bike geometry just 19mm more tire so loads more traction. Also you can reduce the pressure a bunch, which also helps with traction and comfort when off road. Top speed on tarmac will be lower with the smaller wheels.

As for rims, anything below 450g or so should be fine in terms of spin-up feel so there's plenty of options no matter the budget. The XR361 looks like a great combo as well, especially like the asymmetric spoke hole pattern which allows all the spokes to be the same length and evens tension a bunch.

R3awak3n
09-16-2018, 07:58 PM
yeah there is nothing more fun than a 2.1 650b tire on a road bike...

I bet the 54mm 26" tire is also super fun though.

markmdr
09-16-2018, 08:02 PM
People say it's more fun because of the tires and where you can ride.

700c/29x28mm tires is about the same size as 650b/27.5x47mm, so you'll still have the same bike geometry just 19mm more tire so loads more traction. Also you can reduce the pressure a bunch, which also helps with traction and comfort when off road. Top speed on tarmac will be lower with the smaller wheels.

As for rims, anything below 450g or so should be fine in terms of spin-up feel so there's plenty of options no matter the budget. The XR361 looks like a great combo as well, especially like the asymmetric spoke hole pattern which allows all the spokes to be the same length and evens tension a bunch.Awesome!!! Thanks for the explanation... will look into trying out those 650b's

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DRZRM
09-17-2018, 09:18 AM
ebauman has a set of new XTR 27.5 wheels, if the TA options work for the frame, these would work well for your needs, and at $350 for a ~$1,500 wheel, they are dirt cheap.

Here is the link, says sold, but his last post says he has another pair. May still be available.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217038&page=3

yinzerniner
09-17-2018, 12:01 PM
ebauman has a set of new XTR 27.5 wheels, if the TA options work for the frame, these would work well for your needs, and at $350 for a ~$1,500 wheel, they are dirt cheap.

Here is the link, says sold, but his last post says he has another pair. May still be available.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217038&page=3

Those wheels are an insane deal with a few caveats;
-The ID is a rather narrow 20mm. As long as you don't intend going much wider than a 2" tire the ID should be enough.
-XTR hubs have no ability to switch axle standards, so you're basically stuck with the sizing you get unless the dropouts of your frame and fork are designed to play well with the various slip-in adapters.
-The cost of a replacement rim WILL be more than the cost of a new wheelset in case you ever damage one. This shouldn't be a problem as the carbon/alloy Shimano rims have proven to be nigh indestructible

But if the above aren't important issues then there's probably no better bang per buck than those XTRs for 650B/27.5.

v531xc
09-17-2018, 12:59 PM
I have DT XR331s laced with White Industries CLD rear and Shutter Precision front on my Chapman. I really love these wheels, and the rims feel much more confidence inspiring than my Enve rims did. Granted, one of the Enve rims bowed mysteriously on the side of the rim, hence the switch to the DTs. The wheels with the DT rims are a bit lighter. Noticeable on a scale, but not sure I notice the weight difference on the road. The 361s also seem nice given the asymmetrical option. I like OldPotato's idea of using one of those in the rear and a 331 in the front.

alembical
09-17-2018, 04:54 PM
I have been happy with my WTB i23s (Shutter precision dynamo hub), but there are lots of good options and these were just what initially came on the bike.

Clancy
09-18-2018, 06:50 AM
Great suggestions.

I also thought that there would be some smokin’ deals out there, e.g., last year’s MTB wheel sets being dumped to make way for new models. The XTR’s would be perfect except the fact the freehub will only take a 10 speed cassette.

I believe I’m looking at DT Swiss 350’s laced to either 331s or 361s.

I’m still looking for close outs or used. Those XTRs are so close...

oldpotatoe
09-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Great suggestions.

I also thought that there would be some smokin’ deals out there, e.g., last year’s MTB wheel sets being dumped to make way for new models. The XTR’s would be perfect except the fact the freehub will only take a 10 speed cassette.

I believe I’m looking at DT Swiss 350’s laced to either 331s or 361s.

I’m still looking for close outs or used. Those XTRs are so close...

shimano makes some 11s MTB cogsets that will work and the newish Ultegra 11s cogset..11 something..on 10s FHB. OR let me know and I'll build ya a DT350/331/361...:)

Kirk Pacenti
09-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Build your own! ;)

Accepts up to 2" tire.

https://pacenticycledesign.com/collections/rims/products/forza-asymmetrical-road-rear-rim-27-5