PDA

View Full Version : Panaracer GravelKing 35 Slick Tubeless

NoMoreParagon
09-16-2018, 06:09 AM
no unfortunately I am not celebrating their arrival into the market...quite the opposite...
Panaracer makes the 32 and 38 but misses the 35!
In my view there is a huge market for 35 out there which is only filled by Compass...dont take me wrong Compass are great, but if you dont like gumwall you are out of luck. I have been running the Compass BJP 35 extralite, but, oh boy, the sidewall is so delicate. Makes me nervous each time I ride into single tracks.

Does anybody in the industry know whether Panaracer is planning to introduce a 35 slick?
Thanks!

R3awak3n
09-16-2018, 06:33 AM
100% with you. I have the gks in 32 but wish they had a 35 as I think its the perfect size for road ridding with a bit of gravel thrown in or for maintained gravel road. I think they are missing out no having that size too. On the whees that you sold me I am running 32 gks but what I really wanted was 35s. Only available was compass and I just did not want to spend that money/wanted all black. Compass is very nice but definitely fragile

tommyrod74
09-16-2018, 06:36 AM
no unfortunately I am not celebrating their arrival into the market...quite the opposite...
Panaracer makes the 32 and 38 but misses the 35!
In my view there is a huge market for 35 out there which is only filled by Compass...dont take me wrong Compass are great, but if you dont like gumwall you are out of luck. I have been running the Compass BJP 35 extralite, but, oh boy, the sidewall is so delicate. Makes me nervous each time I ride into single tracks.

Does anybody in the industry know whether Panaracer is planning to introduce a 35 slick?
Thanks!

Panaracer recently relabeled some of the GK tires - for example, the old SK 40mm is now labeled 43mm (to accurately reflect how dang big they are on wide rims).

It's very likely the 38 is the same actual size as a 35 in other brands.

NoMoreParagon
09-16-2018, 06:46 AM
Yeah I agree. I used the 38 slick and it’s more like a 40 on 21mm internal width rims.
That’s why I need the 35 to make sure they fit with the ENVE GRD fenders.
Thanks though

Panaracer recently relabeled some of the GK tires - for example, the old SK 40mm is now labeled 43mm (to accurately reflect how dang big they are on wide rims).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tctyres
09-16-2018, 07:02 AM
I bought a pair of GK slicks once. I wouldn't buy them again. They wear fast without much rubber on the tread.

doomridesout
09-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Point of reference: Schwalbe Marathons? :confused::confused::confused:
I bought a pair of GK slicks once. I wouldn't buy them again. They wear fast without much rubber on the tread.

unterhausen
09-16-2018, 10:12 AM
I felt like my first pair of GK 32's wore really fast. They are event tires in my case, only randonneuring events. I have forgotten exactly how many miles, but the rear was down to the casing and I think it had about 1500 miles on it.

Compass says their tires have more rubber and no flat-resistant belting. I have considered going that way, but I do like the GKs.

R3awak3n
09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
I felt like my first pair of GK 32's wore really fast. They are event tires in my case, only randonneuring events. I have forgotten exactly how many miles, but the rear was down to the casing and I think it had about 1500 miles on it.

Compass says their tires have more rubber and no flat-resistant belting. I have considered going that way, but I do like the GKs.

the compasses are going to wear even faster than the GKs. They do ride nice though.

tlarwa
09-16-2018, 12:33 PM

I have the 38mm GK Slicks on 21mm inner width rims. They measure almost exactly 38mm.

Luwabra
09-16-2018, 01:16 PM
the compasses are going to wear even faster than the GKs. They do ride nice though.

Not often do I do this..but I gotta disagree w you. Ime the compass tread far outlasts the gk slick. Not apples to apples but my bonjons look new and 200mi on gk 32 they were starting to smooth. Maybe just that batch idk??

tctyres
09-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Point of reference: Schwalbe Marathons? :confused::confused::confused:

I've never ridden Schwalbe marathons. Sorry.

R3awak3n
09-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Not often do I do this..but I gotta disagree w you. Ime the compass tread far outlasts the gk slick. Not apples to apples but my bonjons look new and 200mi on gk 32 they were starting to smooth. Maybe just that batch idk??

interesting. I have not had the 35mm compass but have had 42s and 28s... the 42s were great, the 28s went realllly fast. Maybe the 35s are more like the 42s than the smaller tire.

The GKs feel more stout to me, specially the side way. Also they are half the price :)

thwart
09-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Yeah, my experience with the Compass Barlow Pass is similar to yours... slower wear than the usual high performance tire. And they definitely have a thicker contact patch section than the average tire as well (FWIW, mine are the tubeless ready standard weight version).

Pics of rear tire after a season's worth of use on my Psychlo-X... so about 700-800 miles... probably 50/50 pavement (hills) and off-road. Ridges all the way across the tread.

For comparison, a shot of a similar version BP with less than 20 miles on it.

MikeD
09-16-2018, 02:59 PM
The mislabeling of tire sizes is a great disservice to the cycling community. Why can't this be standardized like bead seat diameter is?

R3awak3n
09-16-2018, 03:10 PM
The mislabeling of tire sizes is a great disservice to the cycling community. Why can't this be standardized like bead seat diameter is?

because rim sizes are different and so you get different tire size... however yes, some tire manufacturers got it wrong for sure

MikeD
09-16-2018, 03:15 PM
because rim sizes are different and so you get different tire size... however yes, some tire manufacturers got it wrong for sure

So have the standard say when mounted on such and such sized rim. At least one would know if you use a wider rim than the specified standard, the tire will be wider, and vice versa. Perhaps there's a formula that can be applied. I bought some Continental tires that were so undersized from what the label said, they were unsuitable for the application I wanted them for.

Tommasini53
09-16-2018, 05:10 PM

+1. I put GK SK 35s on my wife's gravel bike. and calipers show it is a little over 38. Great tires and i plan to use them in future. I'm curious to see if Panaracer makes an "adjustment" in the stated size when they ship the 2019 products. all in all a minor issue for a very good tire.

NoMoreParagon
09-20-2018, 05:22 AM
Panaracer replied with the answer :)
Early Spring 2019 the GravelKing 35 Slick tubeless will land
Hell yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk