PDA

View Full Version : OT New world record Marathon running

weisan
09-16-2018, 05:16 AM
Amazing!

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/eliud.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Polyglot
09-16-2018, 05:31 AM
What makes the Berlin marathon so fast? It seems to be the site of many record runs.

Lewis Moon
09-16-2018, 07:02 AM
Holy crap! Under 2:00 in our lifetime?

David Tollefson
09-16-2018, 08:13 AM
What makes the Berlin marathon so fast? It seems to be the site of many record runs.

Prevailing winds and a generally downhill course? I know the (now defunct) Portland Marathon was supposed to be "fast" (flat with a downhill last few miles), the timing and size of the race never really seemed to produce truly fast times.

ultraman6970
09-16-2018, 09:50 AM
This... I cant do that time even in my bike...

Holy crap! Under 2:00 in our lifetime?

Climb01742
09-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Weather and flat course. There was no wind yesterday and ideal fall temps. That’s his 9th straight marathon win. Extraordinary. He may be man to break 2 hours on legit course. To break 2 hours, my guess is it will take two runners dueling it out, pushing each other. Question is, who can push him?

PS For world record purposes, there’s a limit to elevation drop allowed on the course. Fast courses, like Berlin and Chicago, are essentially flat, run in the fall and have budgets to draw fast, competitive field.

verticaldoug
09-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Kipchoge was one of the athletes in the Nike Breaking 2 project.

They tried last year with 3 elite runners, 30 pacers running in 3 teams and a pace car to break the wind on Monza circuit.

They had staff zip in on scooters to hand water bottles to the runners to drink so they did not have to break stride.

kipchoge came in at 2h 25secs just coming up short. He must be in better shape now. They were using the Nike Vaporfly 4% which have a built in rocker.

I wonder if he was wearing Nike Vaporfly with rocker today? I thought the IAAF moved to ban the shoes.

RFC
09-16-2018, 10:14 AM
What blows me away is that when I do the math I realize he is running sub 5 minute miles through the entire race.

Clean39T
09-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Don't know how to link it, but there's a great podcast w Frank Overton (FasCat Coaching) and the guys who coached the 2-hr record attempt. Lots of good stuff in it even for cyclists...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
09-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Don't know how to link it, but there's a great podcast w Frank Overton (FasCat Coaching) and the guys who coached the 2-hr record attempt. Lots of good stuff in it even for cyclists...

Do ya know Frank? I know Frank...been wrenching on his bikes for a while(altho not much in last 4-5 years)...:)

Clean39T
09-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Do ya know Frank? I know Frank...been wrenching on his bikes for a while(altho not much in last 4-5 years)...:)Just from his podcasts, which are generally quite good - and some YouTube w Mr Gaimon..

Dino Suegiù
09-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Excellent, but it might be only the second most impressive t/f world record set just today.

Mayer broke Eaton's previous WR by 81 points.

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/media/LargeL/443012f5-d526-4da4-adad-7ed9a5e64463.png?v=-1360392098

Clean39T
09-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Excellent, but it might be only the second most impressive t/f world record set just today.

Mayer broke Eaton's previous WR by 81 points.

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/media/LargeL/443012f5-d526-4da4-adad-7ed9a5e64463.png?v=-1360392098They should add a track TT and uphill TT to really round it out...

Home dude is ripped AF!

mhespenheide
09-16-2018, 03:29 PM
What blows me away is that when I do the math I realize he is running sub 5 minute miles through the entire race.

Not simply sub-5:00, but sub-4:40 per mile.

I have run a handful of sub-5:00's in my life, never sub-4:50, and definitely never sub-4:40. To string together 26 of them in a row without stopping is beyond my ability to empathize with. This record is astonishing.

wc1934
09-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Not simply sub-5:00, but sub-4:40 per mile.

I have run a handful of sub-5:00's in my life, never sub-4:50, and definitely never sub-4:40. To string together 26 of them in a row without stopping is beyond my ability to empathize with. This record is astonishing.

Totally agree.
Paceline has about 300 active users? Highly unlikely that anyone here can run a 4:38 mile.

RFC
09-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Totally agree.
Paceline has about 300 active users? Highly unlikely that anyone here can run a 4:38 mile.

I ran a 4:40 . . . once.

Jaybee
09-16-2018, 04:57 PM
I ran a 4:40 . . . once.

4:21 in college track. Coach said I should move up to steeple or 10k as we had 8 guys faster than that already. There were 3 Kenyans, 2 Ugandan and 1 guy from Zimbabwe on the team. Built for running - amazing athletes and even better humans.

93KgBike
09-16-2018, 05:08 PM

The airfare from Nairobi is cheaper.

93KgBike
09-16-2018, 05:13 PM
Agreed, that is amazing! He could've paced me on my commute!!!!! That's just super-intense to run at that pace for 2hrs!

Amazing!

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/eliud.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

martl
09-16-2018, 08:16 PM

I once ran 1km in close to 3:00 min, and i was shattered after that. doing that and better 42x in a row is beyond my imagination.
Berlin is as flat a course as they come. Älso, a relaxed attitude of the organizers toward pacemakers may help. Given that, i believe the current times are close enough to give a chance we might see the 2:00:00 fall, all it takes is a day with ideal conditions.

BobO
09-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Totally agree.

I ran a 4:09 and did a marathon course in just under 2:30. These guys are so far beyond anything I could do that it's quite humbling. I can't wait to see a sub 2 marathon.

Bwana
09-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Pretty crazy.

My brother ran today too. 2:41 (8 minutes slower than his PR), but he was ecstatic to just finish, he's been crazy busy with work and had to cut back his training a lot, so he had no expectations. :hello:

wc1934
09-16-2018, 10:44 PM
I ran a 4:09 and did a marathon course in just under 2:30. These guys are so far beyond anything I could do that it's quite humbling. I can't wait to see a sub 2 marathon.

4:09!!! WOW - hats off to you - You are FAST - 10 seconds from breaking the coveted 4 minute mile - and 26 seconds off the world record.
Does your speed translate to cycling? Which do you find more difficult (for me it is running).

RFC
09-16-2018, 11:48 PM

I'd say what you've done is pretty great!

BobO
09-17-2018, 12:39 AM
4:09!!! WOW - hats off to you - You are FAST - 10 seconds from breaking the coveted 4 minute mile - and 26 seconds off the world record.
Does your speed translate to cycling? Which do you find more difficult (for me it is running).

It's difficult to tell as I had a series of injuries that ended my running career and slows me to this day on the bike. A marathon is extremely difficult, I have yet to do anything on a bike close to that. I think that being on the bike at the limit demands more in the way of cardio fitness.

Thanks for the compliment, but, to put my performance in perspective, I was locally fast, regionally competitive and irrelevant nationally. In cycling terms Cat2ish.

Sub 3:50 milers and low 2 marathoners are very special athletes. Massively impressive.

oldpotatoe
09-17-2018, 07:56 AM

I was one of the herd...I once ran a just under 5 minute mile and thought I was gonna expire..best marathon was 3:09..the guys I felt for were the ones that finished with the elite women..those n the 2:20-2:25 range who, altho very good distance runners, probably wouldn't ever get to the elite level..

I was built for comfort, not for speed..I could run all day but my 10k/10miler/1/2 was the same pace as a marathon..meaning slow for the shorter distances..BUT I saw the light(injuries) altho I still like the simplicity of running..shorts/shoes...go run..anywhere. Bikes seem awfully 'busy' and involved by comparison..and much more expensive.

"I got my tan off the coast of Iran"..5 times around the flight deck was...1 mile.

Climb01742
09-17-2018, 08:05 AM
It's funny how every race distance has its time barrier that separates good/decent from very good/great. As an indication of my age, in HS all our races were in yards. I was a sprinter, and the two barriers I chased (but never broke) were 10secs for 100 yards and 50secs for the 440.

I remember a few times our coach had us sprinters do a few timed 880 repeats. My god, a half mile seemed like forever back then.:eek:;)

AngryScientist
09-17-2018, 08:15 AM
4:46 was my fastest mile way back when.

i often wonder what it would take for me to run a sub-5 mile these days?

gosh, i can still remember that feeling of seeing the finish line on the back 100 stretch, having my vision narrow to almost nothing and just feel like moving in slow motion and that line was just never getting any closer.

i hope that one or more of my kids will get into track and field. i used to really enjoy going to the meets and cross country especially.

i also think it kept me out of a lot of trouble in HS. i remember most days getting home from practice, hungry as a horse, and tired. lots of kids went out after classes and got into lots of stupid situations, i could barely keep my eyes open long enough to watch some TV and go to bed!

agree with Peter too - even these days, still love the purity of running. especially when travelling, just bring a pair of shoes along and run anywhere. no need for "gravel" shoes either!

Climb01742
09-17-2018, 08:17 AM
I wonder how many cyclists are injured ex-runners?:rolleyes:

AngryScientist
09-17-2018, 08:18 AM

that was the only reason i started cycling :)

oldpotatoe
09-17-2018, 08:21 AM
that was the only reason i started cycling :)

Mee too..calcium deposits in my Achilles tendon sheaths...couldn't bend my feet when I got up..but ran anyway:eek:..finally saw the light..But as I mentioned, I really like the simplicity of running..shoes/shorts..go run..Cold? Put on a hat..:)

wc1934
09-17-2018, 08:53 AM
It's funny how every race distance has its time barrier that separates good/decent from very good/great. As an indication of my age, in HS all our races were in yards. I was a sprinter, and the two barriers I chased (but never broke) were 10secs for 100 yards and 50secs for the 440.

I remember a few times our coach had us sprinters do a few timed 880 repeats. My god, a half mile seemed like forever back then.:eek:;)

Oh yeah - half mile was hard - seemed like a sprint the entire way.

Jad
09-17-2018, 09:12 AM
As with most sports, seeing world class marathoners doing their thing in person must be pretty cool. I haven't, and wonder what it looks like. On TV, their speed seems harder to identify.

I remember seeing guys at meets run the 400 in ~46 seconds and being surprised at how powerful/fast that looked.

BobO
09-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Probably quite a few. We get into running at the Jr. High / High School level because it's an easily accessible way to compete. We learn that there is a level of innate talent that can be developed. Running injuries are generally due to impact, so the obvious choice to replace is cycling so we can keep feeding the addiction.

TiminVA
09-17-2018, 09:27 AM
I'm a cyclist > runner > injured runner > cyclist/occasional runner

oldpotatoe
09-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Probably quite a few. We get into running at the Jr. High / High School level because it's an easily accessible way to compete. We learn that there is a level of innate talent that can be developed. Running injuries are generally due to impact, so the obvious choice to replace is cycling so we can keep feeding the addiction.

No doubt about that..both running and riding..my wife said I was 'running away'..some truth to that for sure..:eek: 'Problem' with riding, along with being way more expensive, it takes a LOT more time. I ran 1 to 2 hours per day..I rode, when I was riding more, 2-3 hours per day, with a 4 hour on Sunday.

I kinda play with the idea of running again..but I think that ship has sailed..

Climb01742
09-17-2018, 09:45 AM
As has been said, there is something so simple and elemental about running, the purity of beautiful form. For me, this race captured one of the most graceful runners I've ever seen, David Rudisha. The race begins at 3:20. In particular, watch him on the final back stretch. That 100m is about as beautiful as there is. As the announcer said, 'It's quick. Very quick.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEOjWEzVGs

BobO
09-17-2018, 09:46 AM
I kinda play with the idea of running again..but I think that ship has sailed..

...or you could just jump up and down on the concrete garage floor for ten minutes so you can feel like you ran. :p

I actually tried "running" for a few weeks last year and gave it up because it felt so abusive. Besides, I think my wife likes having me out of the house for a while. :p

redir
09-17-2018, 10:07 AM
I can't even imagine that. I can't run a sub 5 minute mile on a 5k. That's just insane.

RFC
09-17-2018, 10:22 AM

+1 Between the ages of 15 and 35, I ran about 40,000 miles. Then my knees started to complain.

verticaldoug
09-17-2018, 10:27 AM
I can't even imagine that. I can't run a sub 5 minute mile on a 5k. That's just insane.

I believe Kipchoge's avg 5k split was 14:24

verticaldoug
09-17-2018, 10:30 AM
As has been said, there is something so simple and elemental about running, the purity of beautiful form. For me, this race captured one of the most graceful runners I've ever seen, David Rudisha. The race begins at 3:20. In particular, watch him on the final back stretch. That 100m is about as beautiful as there is. As the announcer said, 'It's quick. Very quick.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEOjWEzVGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJ0Gjn9M6E

100 secs to beat the world.

I still think this documentary on Rudisha and Brother Colm is one of the most inspiring.

Climb01742
09-17-2018, 10:31 AM
+1 Between the ages of 15 and 35, I ran about 40,000 miles. Then my knees started to complain.

I hear ya. In my 20s, I had stressful jobs, not much money, was living in NYC. I needed an outlet, for both stress and competitive urges. So I wanted to see how far I could push my body. I got up to 100+ miles a week running. I wasn't fast or anything, just crazy/driven/young. Then, man, did my knees complain. Few of us are built for 100 mile weeks. I sure wasn't.

Jaybee
09-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Those who are really good at running with truly beautiful form - Rudisha, Gebresellasie, Kipchoge are actually experiencing a lot less impact than you or I. Their foot strike is such that they are being constantly pushed forward instead of the slight braking impact that normal people feel with each step.

johnniecakes
09-17-2018, 11:15 AM

I started as a roller speed skater at 11 and got into cycling to train over the summer, then progressed in cycling and dropped the skating. When the kids were born I switched to running since that is easier to do in the dark and much safer without the drivers. When the youngest turned 12 I started riding again. Now I include some swimming with the other 2 and participate in (bad word for some here) triathlons

Clean39T
09-17-2018, 12:25 PM
I'm a cyclist > runner > injured runner > cyclist/occasional runner

Same progression for me.

Running was always the easiest and most efficient way to drop weight and get "back in shape", but I kind of left it behind for good in late 2016. I've done trail marathons and ultra-marathons, and used to love nothing more than a hard 3-4hr run in woods. I could never get above 70mpw without getting injured though and always struggled with taking in enough food or being able to "run" without being too high in the HR zones to sustain the output. I think being tall, with larger bones and lower legs, and huge feet means I will never be a good or efficient runner (I'm the opposite of what Matt Fitzgerald outlines as the body type for being a good distance runner). Anyway, I've left running behind for good I think. I would like to be able to do trail half-marathons, but just don't have the time to build my body back up for that - or really, don't want to dedicate the time away from cycling.

Incidentally, I'm on vacation right now and don't have a bike (10yr anniversary, I'm being good), so I tried to go for a 3mi run yesterday - it felt fine while doing, but walking down stairs today is a bit painful.

I do think there is something good about having some weight bearing exercise in my life though for the bones benefit - so maybe I'll try to do 5-10mi a week at the gym in combo with weights. Maybe.

nmrt
09-17-2018, 01:09 PM
You left out Bekele -- my favorite!
A joy to watch him run.

Those who are really good at running with truly beautiful form - Rudisha, Gebresellasie, Kipchoge are actually experiencing a lot less impact than you or I. Their foot strike is such that they are being constantly pushed forward instead of the slight braking impact that normal people feel with each step.

TiminVA
09-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Same progression for me.

Running was always the easiest and most efficient way to drop weight and get "back in shape", but I kind of left it behind for good in late 2016. I've done trail marathons and ultra-marathons, and used to love nothing more than a hard 3-4hr run in woods. I could never get above 70mpw without getting injured though and always struggled with taking in enough food or being able to "run" without being too high in the HR zones to sustain the output. I think being tall, with larger bones and lower legs, and huge feet means I will never be a good or efficient runner (I'm the opposite of what Matt Fitzgerald outlines as the body type for being a good distance runner). Anyway, I've left running behind for good I think. I would like to be able to do trail half-marathons, but just don't have the time to build my body back up for that - or really, don't want to dedicate the time away from cycling.

Same here. 60mpw was the magic number for me where either overtraining or injury cropped up. Several marathons and a couple ultras along the way, but my hips started revolting in 2015. Proud to say I never did a road marathon, everything was trails at that distance or beyond. Spent last fall and winter attempting to build back up for a 50 miler this summer, but the hip injury hit again. No runs over 10 miles since March.

Jaybee
09-17-2018, 01:28 PM
You left out Bekele -- my favorite!
A joy to watch him run.

Good addition. He might be the smoothest.

BobO
09-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Being in Tucson I've gotten to watch Bernard Lagat run in person on a number of occasions. He is so smooth, graceful and powerful that it's just a joy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTMU1QRLQI

Jaybee
09-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Lag is great, and a really nice guy to boot. Ran into him on the Starr Pass trails once- my friend and I actually caught up to him. I asked him why he was running so slow and he said “when your going easy, go easy.”

Climb01742
09-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Lag is great, and a really nice guy to boot. Ran into him on the Starr Pass trails once- my friend and I actually caught up to him. I asked him why he was running so slow and he said “when your going easy, go easy.”

Had the same experience years ago here. It was Thanksgiving weekend and I was out riding, trying to burn off some stuffing and pumpkin pie. I rode up on a guy. Looked over. It was Tyler Hamilton back when he lived up on the north shore. I also asked him why was he riding as slowly as us turkey-stuffed mortals. Same answer...easy means easy.

mhespenheide
09-17-2018, 03:47 PM
I (help) coach high school cross-country, and will often tell my runners that "the number one mistake of most high school and college runners is going too hard on easy days, and not hard enough on hard days. The easy days need to be easy in order to go hard on the hard days."

Clean39T
09-17-2018, 07:38 PM
I (help) coach high school cross-country, and will often tell my runners that "the number one mistake of most high school and college runners is going too hard on easy days, and not hard enough on hard days. The easy days need to be easy in order to go hard on the hard days."

That's the hardest part of running for most of us - easy IS hard... Like, Z2 means walking for me. And y'all have seen me. I'm 6'4" 180lbs out of competition. I just suck at running. Even when I was doing 50-60mpw, I was barely under 8:30mi without being well over threshold.

wc1934
09-17-2018, 08:18 PM

I am not kidding - it is hard for me to run easy (not that I am fast or anything), but my stride and cadence seem out of whack and after awhile I end up back to my normal pace..

wallymann
09-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Totally agree.

translates to ~70sec per 400M...that's 2:20 800m pace...that's f*cking quick.

i have a hard time believing that many middle-age fatties on paceline like myself can run a half mile that quick, hell even 400M at that pace would be tough. i cant.