PDA

View Full Version : Pannier recommendation

Spinner
09-15-2018, 11:45 AM
My trunk bag doesn't hold enough, so I'm looking
to replace or supplement for light credit card touring. Looking for something light in weight and at least water resistant. I'd prefer to spend less than $100.

Recommendations?

Any experience with Banjo Brothers Saddlebag panniers?

Thanks for any feedback.

dave thompson
09-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Spend a little more, $130, and get the standard for quality, waterproof panniers: Ortlieb.The Ortlieb Sport-Roller City pannier will check your boxes. https://www.jensonusa.com/Ortlieb-Sport-Roller-City-Pannier-Black-25L1526CuIn-QL1-Pair?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&msclkid=f0d4ce79ef83126f669d95e4d34d346a

dustyrider
09-15-2018, 12:12 PM
Ortlieb and Jandd!

redir
09-15-2018, 12:20 PM
The tri-glide clasps on my Ortlieb's ripped out on me. That was after one year but hardly ever using them., In fact I never toured they sat on my townie bike in the basement where I work and I just noticed it one day. Put a bad taste in my mouth concerning Ortlieb anyway.

Toddtwenty2
09-15-2018, 01:08 PM
I love my Arkel GT-18 panniers. I have used them almost every day for 7 years and they still work perfectly. I really love the secure and simple attachment system. You would likely prefer a fully waterproof model like the dolphin or Orca, though they are a bit above your preferred budget.

Their customer service is also impeccable. I wrote them to buy a replacement attachment system when I disassembled one and couldn’t get it back together again (there is a clear warning not to do this). They just sent me a new one free of charge and wouldn’t talk of me paying for it. Lovely company. Lovely products.

josephr
09-15-2018, 07:54 PM
i just ordered some axiom cartier lx25 for the same reason...I've had other axiom products and they seem well made and have lasted, so hoping the same for these. I found 'em on eBay for <$100. They should be here next week so hope to fit them to the bike and be able to report further.

charliedid
09-15-2018, 08:04 PM
My trunk bag doesn't hold enough, so I'm looking
to replace or supplement for light credit card touring. Looking for something light in weight and at least water resistant. I'd prefer to spend less than $100.

Recommendations?

Any experience with Banjo Brothers Saddlebag panniers?

Thanks for any feedback.

These fit the bill and your budget - https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FEP

BobbyJones
09-15-2018, 08:58 PM
I think I mentioned these somewhere before. I'm a huge fan of these.

Arkel DryLites.

• Sub $100
• Waterproof
• More of a mounted drybag...compresses contents.
• No "hardmount" rattling like my Ortleibs
• 19oz vs 4ish lbs for Ortliebs.

I've now been running a set for a few years. I was initially skeptical of the long-term durability due to general abrasion, but they've been holding up ok even as I've transitioned them for commuting. I'll probably replace them next year just to make sure I'm waterproof- not because of severe structural wear.

I am a bit careful with my equipment though. They showed no wear the first year over the use of 8 or 10 three / four day trips.

charliedid
09-15-2018, 09:00 PM
I think I mentioned these somewhere before. I'm a huge fan of these.

Arkel DryLites.

• Sub $100
• Waterproof
• More of a mounted drybag...compresses contents.
• No "hardmount" rattling like my Ortleibs
• 19oz vs 4ish lbs for Ortliebs.

I've now been running a set for a few years. I was initially skeptical of the long-term durability due to general abrasion, but they've been holding up ok even as I've transitioned them for commuting. I'll probably replace them next year just to make sure I'm waterproof- not because of severe structural wear.

I am a bit careful with my equipment though. They showed no wear the first year over the use of 8 or 10 three / four day trips.

I was going to offer these as an option as well. We sell them often but I have never used them. I think the attachment system would drive me batty.

BobbyJones
09-15-2018, 09:03 PM
These fit the bill and your budget - https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FEP

These look like a nice, decent, no-frills pannier. Thanks for bringing these up.

BobbyJones
09-15-2018, 09:13 PM
I was going to offer these as an option as well. We sell them often but I have never used them. I think the attachment system would drive me batty.

To be honest, i don't take them off / on that much and when I do, it's easy to overthink reinstallation. Definitely not as simple as the pull and slide of an Ortlieb mount. After you do it once or twice within a week it becomes a 10 second process.

A simple tip if using with a Tubus Fly: The Fly doesn't have enough room on it's bottom "hook hole" for the Arkel hook. I use a simple key ring on each side through the hook hole. I also have an extra ring clipped on an interior tag. It's easy (for me) to forget that these aren't Ortliebs and forget about the bottom hook during removal, trashing the key ring.

charliedid
09-15-2018, 10:03 PM
To be honest, i don't take them off / on that much and when I do, it's easy to overthink reinstallation. Definitely not as simple as the pull and slide of an Ortlieb mount. After you do it once or twice within a week it becomes a 10 second process.

A simple tip if using with a Tubus Fly: The Fly doesn't have enough room on it's bottom "hook hole" for the Arkel hook. I use a simple key ring on each side through the hook hole. I also have an extra ring clipped on an interior tag. It's easy (for me) to forget that these aren't Ortliebs and forget about the bottom hook during removal, trashing the key ring.

Yep, one of the people I know who uses them on a regular basis leaves them on. No question it's a really nice product. We sell quite a bit of Arkel and have a large selection in store. I have a full set for touring...

Good stuff.

charliedid
09-15-2018, 10:10 PM
These look like a nice, decent, no-frills pannier. Thanks for bringing these up.

They really are.

charliedid
09-15-2018, 10:11 PM
So is this one sold individually. https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRR-WR

dmortimer
09-16-2018, 06:05 AM
I like dhb products when I'm looking for cheap and decent. A friend bought their panniers for commuting and they've worked out well for him.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

jr59
09-16-2018, 06:12 AM
There was a set of Caridice fronts for sale in the classified not to long ago.
For cheap. They
May not be 100% waterproof but the are really good things that work vey well.

chrismoustache
09-16-2018, 07:11 AM
+1 for JANDD gear. Their stuff is well made and practical. If I'm really concerned about keeping contents dry, Ortlieb would be my go-to. Even empty though, the bags are hefty.

thunderworks
09-16-2018, 08:04 AM
deleted.