PDA

View Full Version : Good Washington DC bike shops ???

DHallerman
09-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Hi,

My nephew lives in Washington DC (Adams Morgan area), and he needs a good bike shop for new 700c wheels for his road bike.

What shop(s) do you suggest? Need not be in his area of DC, since quality of shop is more important than proximity.

Thanks,

Dave, who notes that new wheels are needed by my nearly-30-year-old nephew because he regularly rides off curbs and such
+++
Hudson Valley, NY

nobuseri
09-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Around here, I would go to Green Lizard Cycling or Spokes in Vienna, VA.

djg
09-15-2018, 08:34 AM
There’s been a bit of turmoil since the demise of Freshbikes, but Spokes, mentioned above, is a good shop — actually, a small local chain — that’s been around for a good while. Besides Vienna, they have shops closer to DC, in Ballston (Arlington) and Alexandria. I don,t know what the Bicycle Pro Shop is like these days but they still have a shop in DC. There are a couple of small DC shops as well. One near 14th Street, Adams Morgan. Falls Church has shops, Maryland ... it’s a pretty big area. What neighborhood or area is he in?

oldpotatoe
09-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Hi,

My nephew lives in Washington DC (Adams Morgan area), and he needs a good bike shop for new 700c wheels for his road bike.

What shop(s) do you suggest? Need not be in his area of DC, since quality of shop is more important than proximity.

Thanks,

Dave, who notes that new wheels are needed by my nearly-30-year-old nephew because he regularly rides off curbs and such
+++
Hudson Valley, NY

If he goes into a shop and gets the 'thousand yard stare', when he asks about new wheels..give me a shout/PM or email and I can design and send them to him..:)

cp51errc@gmail.com

kmac
09-15-2018, 09:03 AM
"district cycle works" is the right answer. matt and his team are amazing!
http://www.districtcycleworks.com/

makoti
09-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Is he looking for Pre-built or getting something built up? If the latter, I'd strongly suggest the Spokes in Alexandria & talk to Bill Mould.

Edit: Mould is correct, not Moulton.

wgp
09-15-2018, 09:12 AM
Bill Mould out of the Quaker Lane branch of Spokes is a master wheel builder. If you Google him I think he still has a separate webpage too.

dsimon
09-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Ill second green lizard

dzxc
09-15-2018, 09:27 AM
There’s been a bit of turmoil since the demise of Freshbikes, but Spokes, mentioned above, is a good shop — actually, a small local chain — that’s been around for a good while. Besides Vienna, they have shops closer to DC, in Ballston (Arlington) and Alexandria. I don,t know what the Bicycle Pro Shop is like these days but they still have a shop in DC. There are a couple of small DC shops as well. One near 14th Street, Adams Morgan. Falls Church has shops, Maryland ... it’s a pretty big area. What neighborhood or area is he in?

I didn't like the one in Adams Morgan very much, Bicycle Space. One time I brought in my bike because it wasn't shifting quite right, they charged me $35 and didn't fix it, just said "it's under our warranty if it isn't fixed so bring it back", which is a really weird response when they were telling me right there it wasn't fixed. Not wanting to judge them on a single encounter, I've been a few times and they've been mediocre at best.

I love green lizard, but they're not in DC, you have to go out a long way to get there, 45 minutes from DC proper into Virginia. Spokes in the old Freshbikes Arlington location is solid. The Bike Rack Login Circle is one of my favorites in DC, Rollin Cycles nearby is good too.

adrien
09-15-2018, 09:33 AM

This. Matt's been very consistent and very high quality work. He does appointments only, and has some great wheel builders too.

Bill mould as mentioned is well known and also very good. My experience with Bill is he tends to build wheels to be very tough.

I like the Green Lizard a lot as a stop, and as a community. I've never used their mechs, but wouldn't hesitate if I were out that way.

ultraman6970
09-15-2018, 09:41 AM
DC? you have a couple moving around, google is your friend. So far I remember in downtownn you have bicycle pro shop, and the one that is next door... hope your nephew have money tho, those arent cheap.

I was him I would talk with potato to get a set done... the other option is the forums with the locals, eventhought many of the area people dont know to each other sure somebody has a set moving around.

Even in CL you find stuff barely used.

echappist
09-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Bill Mould out of the Quaker Lane branch of Spokes is a master wheel builder. If you Google him I think he still has a separate webpage too.

+1 to Spokes and Bill Mould, who's a very thorough wheel builder. Pricing at Spokes is fair, and at least the Fresh Bike location is close to the Metro.

As for Bicycle Pro Shop, it's still around. That whole Georgetown area is crowded with bike shops

zap
09-15-2018, 11:10 AM
The Bicycle Place in Silver Spring Merryland.

Gummee
09-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Buddy of mine lives on the Hill and says the bike shop close to him is pretty good.

...but don't ask me what the name is 'cause I haven't been in to the city since I bought a Park workstand from a Paceliner moving to NYC

M

zap
09-15-2018, 01:00 PM
The Bike Rack is in downtown D.C. Another good shop to visit.

djg
09-15-2018, 01:14 PM

Quaker Lane is what I meant by Alexandria but I guess the nephew can google or waze any of the shops. I’m surprised that I forgot to mention Bill Mould, but yeah. I guess it’s been a while since I had wheels built for me.

zennmotion
09-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Bikenetic in Falls Church, just off the W&OD path. Price will be more reasonable than most of the others mentioned here. They've built me a few CX wheels, still holding up well after a lot of abuse. Ask that Pete builds them.

cderalow
09-15-2018, 07:59 PM
District hardware/cycle over at the wharf area is a good group. If he has car and can travel Ande’s bike shop over near quince orchard hs in Gaithersburg is great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flydhest
09-16-2018, 03:41 AM
Gummee, that was me you got the workstand from, hope you are enjoying it.

I am a DC native, only recently moved to NY. I would think the OP’s son should consider location. New to the area and especially if he doesn’t have a car, stay local.

If what he wants/needs are wheels, I agree that old potato is a good option if it fits the budget.

The bike shop scene in DC is only so-so. Near him in Adams Morgan the Bicycle Space is fine but not overly impressive. THey he cater to insta-commuters or people who use bikes as transportation. I am very glad they exist as the more people like that the better, but it is a different crowd.

City Bikes is right there, as well. They are fine for general service and the same demographic plus mountain biking.

The Bike Rack in Logan Circle is close. More cyclist oriented (little known fact, when they first opened, I created the shop’s group ride and out of that helped to found District Velocity Racing). Generally reliable.

Matt at District Cycleworks has been referenced. They do top notch work. I had them install my Campy 11 on my Zank and replace the group on my wife’s Goodrich. But keeping in correspondence with Matt can be hard. When he responds he is awesome, good guy, super great work. But he was way over schedule with work for me and would sometimes go for over a week without responding to emails despite missing deadlines. That experience was a year and a half ago. If he has changed habits or got a business manager, it would be one of the best bike shops ever.

djg
09-16-2018, 09:11 AM

I am a DC native, only recently moved to NY. I would think the OP’s son should consider location. New to the area and especially if he doesn’t have a car, stay local.

If what he wants/needs are wheels, I agree that old potato is a good option if it fits the budget.

The bike shop scene in DC is only so-so. Near him in Adams Morgan the Bicycle Space is fine but not overly impressive. THey he cater to insta-commuters or people who use bikes as transportation. I am very glad they exist as the more people like that the better, but it is a different crowd.

City Bikes is right there, as well. They are fine for general service and the same demographic plus mountain biking.

The Bike Rack in Logan Circle is close. More cyclist oriented (little known fact, when they first opened, I created the shop’s group ride and out of that helped to found District Velocity Racing). Generally reliable.

Matt at District Cycleworks has been referenced. They do top notch work. I had them install my Campy 11 on my Zank and replace the group on my wife’s Goodrich. But keeping in correspondence with Matt can be hard. When he responds he is awesome, good guy, super great work. But he was way over schedule with work for me and would sometimes go for over a week without responding to emails despite missing deadlines. That experience was a year and a half ago. If he has changed habits or got a business manager, it would be one of the best bike shops ever.

Not to drift the thread but when did you move? I was out of things for a while — a year out of town, then a year-plus off the bike — lost track. Hope all’s well up there.

Gummee
09-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Can't say I use it every day, but yeah, comes in VERY handy.

In fact, I'm fixin to go fix on a coupla bikes and make some extra cashola using that stand

M

livingminimal
09-19-2018, 03:16 PM

District is the absolute best.

bward1028
09-19-2018, 06:16 PM
I used to work at the Bike Rack. Would say that’s a solid place to go for road bike wheels. When I was there we had a great wheel build program with some of the lowest prices in town.

Couldn’t keep wheels in stock in the summer due to all the theft.

flydhest
09-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Not to drift the thread but when did you move? I was out of things for a while — a year out of town, then a year-plus off the bike — lost track. Hope all’s well up there.

Dan,
Left late spring 2017. Fam moved up in Early July after school ended.

Still adjusting. Lifelong Washingtonian to becoming a New Yorker. Big shift.

DHallerman
09-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Thank you all for the detailed and useful info.

I just sent it on to my nephew.

Mattre
09-23-2018, 07:17 PM
I'm late to the thread but I'll give another recommendation to the Alexandria Spokes. They have a really good inventory. The Specialized dealer in Richmond didn't have any of the bikes I wanted to check out so I drove to DC and Spokes was well worth the trip.

ajhapps
09-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Wow, I worked at Bicycle Pro Shop back in 1998, so glad to hear they're still around. Looks like Revolution is now a Trek shop. Interesting back story to those two shops being right next to each other. From what I remember, Pinky(?) was an employee at Bicycle Pro Shop, then left to open his own place... and it turned out to be right next door. Bringing back so many old memories!

Foxtrot
10-17-2018, 11:25 AM
I'm looking for a shop not too far from Silver Spring (e.g. in the northern part of the District, Rockville, etc.) to get some work done on several used bikes I recently acquired (the work includes, for Bike #1) tune up (back wheel needs to be trued, gears out of adjustment), replace front derailer cable, new front + rear break pads; #2) (depending on cost) - Back hub is loose, lot of rust, lube, front derailer cable rusted out; #3) adjustments/tune up)

I'm on a tight budget for this set of repairs, and so rather than the best shop, I'm looking for the least expensive that is good enough.

I'd appreciate any information about how expensive local shops are, especially as to their labor charges.

Thanks!

lawgrad12
10-17-2018, 11:00 PM
I'm looking for a shop not too far from Silver Spring (e.g. in the northern part of the District, Rockville, etc.) to get some work done on several used bikes I recently acquired (the work includes, for Bike #1) tune up (back wheel needs to be trued, gears out of adjustment), replace front derailer cable, new front + rear break pads; #2) (depending on cost) - Back hub is loose, lot of rust, lube, front derailer cable rusted out; #3) adjustments/tune up)

I'm on a tight budget for this set of repairs, and so rather than the best shop, I'm looking for the least expensive that is good enough.

I'd appreciate any information about how expensive local shops are, especially as to their labor charges.

Thanks!

If you're on a tight budget, do some of that work yourself: follow a youtube video for derailleur adjustment (don't touch the H/L screws, and you can't screw anything up); brake pads are easily replaced on your own; and, front derailleur cable on most frames is pretty easy. If you're not comfortable doing these on your own, pop into one of the bike coops. Save your money for the hub/truing work.