PDA

View Full Version : What Cycling Projects Are You Currently Overthinking?

Lanternrouge
09-14-2018, 09:06 PM
I was just wondering what bike projects are other folks out there overthinking to try and take your mind off of more stressful things in life.

For me, the main things have been unloading things I need to unload and all my future projects generally involving building of some really nice frames of I've acquired from U.S. builders whose names start with SE.

Andy sti
09-14-2018, 09:22 PM
Just got my new custom road bike last week and today on my ride I was designing the next frame I want him to build. Might be firing off an email this weekend and then trying to sell some stuff. It never stops!

mhespenheide
09-14-2018, 09:30 PM
All of them.

:D

:help:

Clean39T
09-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Just got my new custom road bike last week and today on my ride I was designing the next frame I want him to build. Might be firing off an email this weekend and then trying to sell some stuff. It never stops!

I have the same problem - I think I'd buy less bikes if I didn't ride so much...

Let's see: got most of the parts picked or bought for my incoming Kirk, but haven't picked the color yet; still thinking about how to build my Kirk 29er, but getting close to just taking a box of parts to the shop and letting them pick out the rest for me; not certain about putting more time into the Sachs vs. selling it as-is cuz it's inevitable anyway with other bikes I've got that fit me better; and then I've got a couple more inbound from BT that are needed or at least make sense with the traveling I'm doing and wanting a bit more size but similar themes to the Sachs; plus still thinking about throwing some cross tires on my Kirk and giving the racing thing another go, maybe use my single-speed stuff to change the flavor a bit on it.. And what to do with my Ellis OS that's getting pushed aside by the MRB? Oh geez, and I ready know I want to get a Onesto that's done up as an unapologetic race bike with room for 27c tubs and built for the giddy up, but that's gotta be a mid-2019 thing. But then I remember I got a deposit down at Rock Lobster and even going to the back of the line means I'll still get called up before too long, so maybe a monster-cross bikepacker is next, or a MAX roadie, or ??? And then what if I swing by Andy's place this weekend and get googly-eyed over one of his lesser-used rigs?

Where's the door to the padded room? And how much for a week or two w three squares and a cot?

soupless
09-14-2018, 11:24 PM
^^

That's some A+ bike thinking there.

Currently just fretting over handlebar tape. I just got my first very bright (orange on orange!) bike in quite some time. It's an orbea, so I thought maybe I'd do green tape with red plugs as a nod to the Basque heritage or the brand. Did a bunch of looking and got the Deda tape in jaguar green. A digression--Deda tape is very nice for about $10 on Amazon. Classy colors too.

So anyway I've got this orange bike with green tape and it NEVER occurred to me that it would look like a pumpkin turned on its side and that's the first thing my friend said when I showed him was "ooh pumpkin bike." And now that's all I can think about and it's gonna be back to black I think. Maybe perforated black with orange underneath, but that's a suede-y looking tape from Origin8, and I really think it wants a glossy Fizik look.

So tl;dr I tried green tape and it didn't work out (as of yet)

henrypretz
09-14-2018, 11:58 PM
Trade Parlee frame for something with a bit more endurance geometry or sell the Parlee and buy a mountain bike or keep the Parlee. It really is a great riding bike.
Deciding just what I want to choose as my retirement gift to myself. It's going to be a custom frame, but change my mind regularly on just what I want it to be.
Assorted wheel sales and/or acquisitions.

Alaska Mike
09-15-2018, 12:04 AM
I got a Ritchey Break Away CX that was pretty beat up. No problem, as it just will spend most of its life on a trainer. Slap it together with whatever parts came with it, replace the small bits that are missing, and roll.

...except, no.

I immediately tore it down and sold the groupset, brakeset, cockpit, saddle, and seatpost on Craigslist. Now I have a scratched-up framest and wheelset to start with.

I have multiple spare groupsets in the parts pile. Same with pretty much everything else, except for the mini-V brakes, which are on the way. Slap it together and roll. No need to overthink it.

...except, no.

Now I'm going to pull the headset, sand the paint down, prime it, and paint it in sort of a Flandria paint scheme (except in orange and white- my team colors). Clean it up, make some tube protectors for packing. Then build it with solid-yet-unspectacular components that are fitting for its ultimate purpose.

...except, what about that wheelset? Or that...

It's a steel trainer bike, and I'm acting like it was one of my Moots.

Oh well, it's an interesting mental exercise.

Steve in SLO
09-15-2018, 12:07 AM
Which frame do I build up next?
Which bike do I sell to make room for the above?
Is it easier to answer the previous two q’s or just add onto my garage?

rmk
09-15-2018, 12:59 AM
It is nice to read the posts on this forum and feel validated with respect to my desire to tinker with my bikes (and add new ones). Currently, I have two projects considered:

1. I have a steel all-road bike that I am considering making more dirt friendly by (1) adding a 10-speed MTB RD and 11X36, (2) putting on some 38 gravelking SKs, and (3) potentially getting a light weight disc wheelset like the Knight Race 29s. Other times, I think that I will never get the bike right, and I should sell it and buy a Stigmata or Open, and call it a day.

2. I have wanted a Peg. But I had a chance to get a citron OG1, and it was so much less $$$ that I decided to try the speedvagen. Idea was that I could wait and eventually pick up a Peg. Now, like others on this forum, I am thinking of picking up a Marcelo. I own 3 road bikes, however, and like to ride my bikes so the third project is deciding whether to sell . . . . the speedvagen or my carbon race bike (a 12.5 lb Trek Emonda). Maybe both?

(BTW, welcome thoughts . . . . not that I want to hijack the thread.)

Ryan--

mhespenheide
09-15-2018, 01:11 AM
I have the same problem - I think I'd buy less bikes if I didn't ride so much...

Oh, man. I think I'm the exact opposite. I'm generally happy with what I'm riding at the time, and all of my dangerous ideas come when I'm either stuck in front of the screen or messing around in the garage/basement.

More seriously than my last response, I'm currently overthinking:
[1] Building up a Kona Honky-Tonk as a second wide-tire road bike to back up my Felt F1PR. Do I upgrade to a carbon fork? Add one of the Canyon-style leaf suspension carbon seatposts? But then I think that I told myself it would be more of a blue-collar parts-bin build. But 9-speed? 5800? I don't usually like gold as a color, but there are tiny yellow accents in the paint, so maybe a seatpost collar? Bar-end plugs?

[2] Converting an old Ritchey Ultra into a drop-bar monstercross. I've picked up the stem and bars that I want to use, and think I'm committed to a 3x9 drivetrain. But shifting? Gevenalle? Older Ultegra, probably. What gears? Do I spring for Rat Trap Pass tires? Try one of the funky old "Travel Agent" cable converters, or use mini-V's? I didn't like canti's or mini-V's on a Poprad that I since sold; maybe the Paul's versions would be worth the investment?

[3] Resurrecting and updating my first good bike, an '87 Bianchi. I've already talked to a framebuilder about respacing the rear dropouts, raising the brake bridge, and dimpling the chainstays a bit. But the fork... I've picked up a beautiful Waterford fork that's threadless and have somehow managed to pick up both a 1" Chris King NoThreadset and a 1" threadless Chorus. Which one? The CK needs new bottom bearings, but I could add a second baseplate and swap in a carbon Kestrel fork for giggles. Cut threads into the Waterford fork and use it with a quill stem? But I already bought a Ti 1" threadless stem during one of the eBay sales... But quill is prettier on classic bikes...

[4] Resurrect an old Trek 660 as a sprightly 650b bike? That's a whole 'nother rabbit hole. But it would be fun to set it up in a way that would technically qualify for Eroica California while also raising the eyebrows of traditionalists as a neo-vintage semi-rando bike. It's made with Reynolds 531c and skinny tubes, so maybe it would introduce me to the mythical phenomenon of "planing"...

:rolleyes:

alancw3
09-15-2018, 04:43 AM
deciding if i want a gravel bike or not. thinking seriously on a lynskey gr260. i changed the tires out on my beater/hybrid to 40mm from 32mm a month ago. at first i didn't like them. now i love them. found out lower tire pressure was better. could be my winter project.

.RJ
09-15-2018, 05:48 AM
I was just wondering what bike projects are other folks out there overthinking to try and take your mind off of more stressful things in life.

For me, the main things have been unloading things I need to unload and all my future projects generally involving building of some really nice frames of I've acquired from U.S. builders whose names start with SE.

Yeah, I do this all the time. My current disaster is that I wanted a nice 'town' bike to ride in regular clothes with some fat tires - running errands, going the 2.5 miles to work, saturday market, etc. I also had a set of 650 wheels that I spent too much money to have my LBS build to use on my CX bike that I never really used much but couldnt sell them for a price I was happy with... and of course the paceline classifieds.

Smart money would have been to grab a cheap Trek FX from my LBS & team sponsor, but that's ridiculous, I'm not smart. Instead I grabbed a soma triple cross (stainless!) here and a Hope BB & Headset to match my hubs... still need a groupset and I'll be ready. Tires are 650x42 and with the brooks saddle should be a magic carpet ride around town.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Admin/Misc/n-rxCHVB/i-nHrhrdM/0/771277d1/XL/i-nHrhrdM-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Admin/Misc/n-rxCHVB/i-8NX4hSM/0/d5358791/XL/i-8NX4hSM-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Admin/Misc/n-rxCHVB/i-TdQd6Tp/0/4da9bda3/XL/i-TdQd6Tp-XL.jpg

weisan
09-15-2018, 06:44 AM
I am not sure about over-thinking.... I am thinking about something all the time and that's just how I work. I like to commit my brain to a time-shared program on multiple projects all going on at the same time at various stages of completion. I like to attack problems at multiple fronts. if I hit a snag, or not quite able to overcome, I will just let it sit for a while and come back to it later . But once I exit out of the thinking mode and get into the action phase, things happen pretty quick. That's the reason why I almost never let a new frame sit around for more than a day or two before it gets build up because by the time it arrives, I pretty much have everything figured out in my head.

So if you are asking what's currently inside my head - I am thinking on and off about how I want to approach building my first dynamo wheelset.

stien
09-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Bikes for my daughter.

Her due date is in 4 weeks!

R3awak3n
09-15-2018, 06:59 AM
My bike life is a mess right now

English needs a new tire

Open needs a new crank

Croll is waiting for dt shifters and a few other things

Parlee needs me to rebuild the shifter and new bars after accident

Yay bikes

colker
09-15-2018, 07:07 AM
My bike project is to ride my bike.

weisan
09-15-2018, 07:40 AM

colker pal, why are you over-thinking it, just go out and do it!

oldpotatoe
09-15-2018, 07:54 AM

Mee too..I just don't have much time this year..riding has certainly been in the back seats. Mom-in-law, grand kiddies, very warm weather, lots of wheels to build or have been built, helping a guy get ready for L'ERoica..just 10 pounds of ****e inna 5 pound bag. But, oh well, grand kiddies, son's are certainly worth it, mom in law in a memory care center ..it is what it is....can't effect the weather..it'll cool off eventually..really enjoy building wheels for y'all...Hendrik will have a great time on his Merckx...

BUT me main rides, Merckx/Delta/EPS and Moots/C-Record/DT shifters/6s freewheel..they are in great shape. Don't lust for anything bike gadget wise.

:hello::hello::hello:

AngryScientist
09-15-2018, 09:05 AM
i am relieved to say no projects in the works right now, and for the foreseeable future.

late summer and fall are my favorite time of year for riding, and we have access to some awesome roads in the NE area. bikes are all running fine and for the first time in forever, i feel no "pull" to acquire more stuff, bikes, wheels or gadgets. limited time and very limited spare in the inn. no more stuff, just more riding over here:)

whateveronfire
09-15-2018, 09:14 AM
2. I have wanted a Peg. But I had a chance to get a citron OG1, and it was so much less $$$ that I decided to try the speedvagen. Idea was that I could wait and eventually pick up a Peg. Now, like others on this forum, I am thinking of picking up a Marcelo. I own 3 road bikes, however, and like to ride my bikes so the third project is deciding whether to sell . . . . the speedvagen or my carbon race bike (a 12.5 lb Trek Emonda). Maybe both?

(BTW, welcome thoughts . . . . not that I want to hijack the thread.)

Ryan--

That's amazing, i just sold my Peg Duende to buy a SV Citron OG1.

The Peg was too big. And I'm taking Duende not Marcelo.

I love how both bikes ride/rode. Not that I'm encouraging anything, but in a vacuum (if I could afford it) I'd want both.

Gummee
09-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Which frame do I build up next?
Which bike do I sell to make room for the above?
Is it easier to answer the previous two q’s or just add onto my garage?

That's how I ended up at 14 bikes or frames in the garage.

I try to sell my 'old' stuff, but since I'd rather not give it away, no one seems to want it. I'm not charging retail by any means, but...

M

Lanternrouge
09-15-2018, 02:57 PM
That's how I ended up at 14 bikes or frames in the garage.

I try to sell my 'old' stuff, but since I'd rather not give it away, no one seems to want it. I'm not charging retail by any means, but...

M

There are folks out there with a higher number. I seem to be having a similar an issue with folks wanting to buy the things I want to sell.

I think the more work interferes with riding, the more I overthink and spend on things. For example, I'm thinking about the repaint on a frame that's pretty far back in line in terms of projects. Not only am I contemplating Joe Bell versus Bill McDonald, but I'm also contemplating color and potential designs.

I'm also contemplating resuscitating with 1992 Specialized Epic with 8 speed parts and downtube shifters. It came with DA 8 STI, which was as good as it got back then, at least since Campy wasn't an option.

LGrider
09-15-2018, 03:00 PM
How I get to N-1. I have a Felt VR30 that I can lock up in town and don't mind transporting on a bus occasionally. I also recently picked up a Ritchey Breakaway that is getting hardly any use. I've been thinking of getting a titanium bike with couplers that will clear 650bx42 but would likely have too much money into it to lock up while running errands.

Can't really complain, I did 50 miles on my Rock Lobster in perfect weather today.

rmk
09-15-2018, 04:15 PM
That's amazing, i just sold my Peg Duende to buy a SV Citron OG1.

The Peg was too big. And I'm taking Duende not Marcelo.

I love how both bikes ride/rode. Not that I'm encouraging anything, but in a vacuum (if I could afford it) I'd want both.

I got a chance to ride my buddy's Marcelo today. It was too small (a 52 when I am probably a 54). But it rode amazing. So, yeah, this might not be a debate too much longer.

Ryan--

MattTuck
09-15-2018, 04:25 PM
I'd love to even have an idea for a cycling project... right now, it is mostly just imagining how much more I'll ride next year than this year.

A bunch of rides next fall look interesting.

I think I'll bite the bullet and get a Kickr this winter, and just aim to be in decent shape for the late season riding 2019.

shinomaster
09-15-2018, 04:33 PM
I’m purging: campy wheels, old frames, forks, saddles.

djg
09-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Not much — I was hemming and hawing about a hardtail, but that’s done. At some point I’ll overthink the grips or the bars but I hope that point is off a while or so in the future. Had some setbacks in my riding for a few years but I’m glad to be riding again, slow as I may be — the road bike, the cross bike, the mtb — good to turn the pedals.

veloduffer
09-15-2018, 05:14 PM
I just got a Moots CR and thinking of having it painted (Black Magic?) in the Team 7-Eleven colors. It's kind of an ode to my favorite cycling team.

I need to get a fork for it, probably a Ritchey WCS -- it's getting hard to find straight (non-taper) forks!

pdonk
09-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Waiting for my SV.

Trying to decide if I wait for surprise me paint and probanly don't get it before weather changes or do I take a standard paint job and get it in 3 weeks so I can ride it this year.

R3awak3n
09-15-2018, 07:28 PM
I just got a Moots CR and thinking of having it painted (Black Magic?) in the Team 7-Eleven colors. It's kind of an ode to my favorite cycling team.

I need to get a fork for it, probably a Ritchey WCS -- it's getting hard to find straight (non-taper) forks!

consider a whisky, the road+ fork is excellent.

572cv
09-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Sigh. I am currently overthinking an incoming frame which, in a perfect world, would have already arrived. But, its not such a world. I am leaving on a trip a week from tomorrow. With luck, and a lot of it, the frame might arrive next Friday or Saturday. I have slowly accumulated all the parts over the spring and summer. I’m overthinking how to reorganize my available time to pack the frame and parts at the last minute. Can I get the BB installed so I don’t have to bring those tools? How to pack a pile of parts and a frame? What is going to happen will happen, so why am I even worrying about it? But of course, I am overthinking the matter and trying to be positive about taking the bike on the trip. Sigh. I knew when I started the process that the timing would be a long shot, but this is SO CLOSE!

charliedid
09-15-2018, 08:17 PM
I have a SOMA Wolverine with Jones bars I can't get comfortable on. Might need to try drops.

RudAwkning
09-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Putting a dropper on the bikepacking bike. Been agonizing over this for 6 months now. It would mean ditching the porcelain rocket Mr Fusion which I love for its anti-sway design. It would also require going back to 27.5+ for tire clearance.

Lanternrouge
09-15-2018, 08:42 PM

Do it. That will be an awesome looking bike.

joosttx
09-15-2018, 08:59 PM
I thinking about buying a new 44 Ti MTB. However if I do I will need to sale a bike. I think I would want to sell my pink 44. However, I cannot imagine anyone who would buy a pink MTB.

Clean39T
09-15-2018, 09:28 PM
I thinking about buying a new 44 Ti MTB. However if I do I will need to sale a bike. I think I would want to sell my pink 44. However, I cannot imagine anyone who would buy a pink MTB.Would I? Yes. Yours? Too small...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bicycletricycle
09-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Paint on incoming max Zanconato

charliedid
09-15-2018, 10:17 PM
I thinking about buying a new 44 Ti MTB. However if I do I will need to sale a bike. I think I would want to sell my pink 44. However, I cannot imagine anyone who would buy a pink MTB.

Interesting sales pitch! I'd ride that thing in a second...

bigbill
09-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Since moving to AZ, my road riding is limited to the weekends. The afternoons are spent on my Coconino Dirt Road Racer on the gravel roads and trails that butt up against my neighborhood. The roads and trails are rocky and since 4 wheelers use them, there's lots of loose stuff, cat litter-like gravel that my front tire will plow into forcing me to death grip the bars and try to stay up.

So here's the overthink part. The bike had 38mm Gravel Kings. The fork is a steel unicrown with lots of clearance so my idea was to install a wider front tire to handle the loose. This evening I installed a 1.9" Specialized Ground Control 2bliss on front wheel. The wheelset has WTB KOM I23 rims so that's not an issue. Neither is clearance. I don't think I'll get anything bigger than a 40 on the rear because I wanted a double crankset. I could with a 650 but this is my experiment with the existing wheels. I'll try it out tomorrow.

DaveS
09-16-2018, 03:26 AM
I'm currently overthinking a project for my father, who is considering getting back into cycling after borrowing my Hampsten SB for a "5 minute" (read: 65 minute) ride last month in Vermont.

He tends to be impatient, so leaning towards a Honey Allroads with 700c wheels, 2x gearing and hydraulic disc brakes. Still going back and forth on frame material, however...

Lionel
09-16-2018, 04:52 AM

Anything sells at 25% of MSRP :)

Lionel
09-16-2018, 04:57 AM
I am overthinking the paint scheme of my incoming Gaulzetti Aerotack, I overthought every part on my incoming Seven Sola SL, I enjoy overthinking bike stuff.

seahuston
09-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Road bike: New supersix disc and I'm loving it but I'm still thinking about how I really want a steel disc road.

Bike Packing Bike: Raleigh stuntman that is heavy as sin but still convinced I can think my way into a lighter ride (steel frame)

Travel Bike: Veloce is crap (it isn't) I should probably get record

Jaybee
09-16-2018, 10:58 AM

What would the new 44 have that the old one does not, besides Ti?

bigbill
09-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Since moving to AZ, my road riding is limited to the weekends. The afternoons are spent on my Coconino Dirt Road Racer on the gravel roads and trails that butt up against my neighborhood. The roads and trails are rocky and since 4 wheelers use them, there's lots of loose stuff, cat litter-like gravel that my front tire will plow into forcing me to death grip the bars and try to stay up.

So here's the overthink part. The bike had 38mm Gravel Kings. The fork is a steel unicrown with lots of clearance so my idea was to install a wider front tire to handle the loose. This evening I installed a 1.9" Specialized Ground Control 2bliss on front wheel. The wheelset has WTB KOM I23 rims so that's not an issue. Neither is clearance. I don't think I'll get anything bigger than a 40 on the rear because I wanted a double crankset. I could with a 650 but this is my experiment with the existing wheels. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Worked like a champ, yay overthinking.

Lanternrouge
09-16-2018, 12:54 PM
I am overthinking the paint scheme of my incoming Gaulzetti Aerotack, I overthought every part on my incoming Seven Sola SL, I enjoy overthinking bike stuff.

Ask Craig to send you a picture of the demo Aerotack disc bike for potential ideas. That's a gorgeous bike, though it's hard for it not to be with Campy EPS and Lightweight wheels.

Mike V
09-16-2018, 04:22 PM
I have all silver Chorus 10, Record silver to Ambrosio Nemesis with fresh Veloflex , titanium post and stem with my favorite classic bend bars waiting for the perfect classic frame to come along.

Looking for along the lines of a grail 52cm Merckx MXL, De Rosa Primato, LeMond SLX-TSX, Colnago Master, Moser, Tomasini.....

Lanternrouge
09-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Looking for along the lines of a grail 52cm Merckx MXL, De Rosa Primato, LeMond SLX-TSX, Colnago Master, Moser, Tomasini.....

Based on what I'm selling, I'm not really looking for anything, but if I found a good deal on one of those in my size, I would be all over it.

markmdr
09-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Although I already have a gravel bike.... "Do I really need it?" Should I convert it to a 1X system for it to be more fun???

93KgBike
09-16-2018, 05:14 PM
lol - wife's commuter bike.

Andy sti
09-16-2018, 07:34 PM
With my new Alliance I don’t really need my Cielo. To help I took out the Cielo on today’s ride - It didn’t help. I don’t really need 2 steel race type bikes but....ugh!

Andy sti
09-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah, not sure I’m digging the Campy on my new bike. Couple things bug me with the shifting. Debating scraping it and going with 9100 - ugh!

tv_vt
09-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Widening my 'stance' on my bikes. Just switched from Time RXS pedals to Dura Ace 9100 pedals with the longer +4mm axle, and switched from 132mm saddles to 143mm (same model).

I'm 6-2, 180, size 48 shoes, and felt that maybe my feet wanted to be farther apart. I've always used one or two pedal washers and mounted my cleats to get my shoes out as far as they'd go.

We'll see how this goes. I went with the yellow +/- 6 degree float cleat. The blue one that came with the pedals was too confining. Have a few hundred miles or so on the new setup and it feels fine. Not earth-shattering, but good. The 'hold' with the new pedals is definitely way different than with the Time pedals. Wow, shoes are really locked in. Not a bad thing. I dialed back the retention a bit, too, and may dial it back even more at some point.

jet sanchez
09-16-2018, 09:10 PM
I have a NOS 1984 Cinelli Supercorsa frameset and I have a nice C-Record group to go on it but I am hesitant to build it up because the darned thing is probably pretty valuable to someone in it's NOS condition. I think I'd be better off finding a used one and building that up instead and selling the NOS one to a collector.

kppolich
09-16-2018, 09:39 PM
The single speed gear ratio never ending question
17,18, or 20?

weaponsgrade
09-16-2018, 11:38 PM
I’m in this weird paradox where I think if I had more time to ride I’d have fewer bikes. Somehow I’m finding time to ride and number of bikes to be inversely proportional. But since I feel that I’m here in the trust tree, I’m thinking about a gravel disc with clearance for a 700x38 to 700x43 that cuts more on road geo than mtn geo. I’m not sure if that can be done and still have clearance for 43. I’d be willing to give up some mud clearance. I was reading a recent Cycling Tips review where the author thought the Open Up was sluggish and went instead with the Alfa Allroad. I was surprised at the sluggishness comment. I’d like to go ti but my pockets aren’t deep enough. I’m thinking a tig steel - Rock Lobster is the heavy favorite right now.

TonyG
09-17-2018, 12:05 AM
Back in January I ordered a No22 made to order “gravel bike”, I kept telling the shop that I wanted this to be more like an 80% road bike that I could ride on fire roads not a “gravel bike” per se. All along the way I keep hearing how a gravel bike “should be” and I keep saying I want this to be more of a road bike I can ride on gravel. If I just wanted a gravel bike I wouldn’t have needed to make a custom order.

I keep obsessing about whether my message had eventually sunk in; and what I’m going to end up with after my 9-10-11 month wait (who knows when it's going to show up).

As much as I'm willing to support local shops I wish I could deal with the frame builder myself so I know they get the message... my message.

(thanks for the thread. probably saved me a trip or two to a therapist:confused:)

alexchoi
09-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Replace my ck pink headset to ck 40th anniversary.. also the wheels.
The price is kinda ridiculous but i cannot get out of beautiful color..

.RJ
09-17-2018, 06:33 AM
As much as I'm willing to support local shops I wish I could deal with the frame builder myself so I know they get the message... my message.

Can you call the builder direct? That would drive me up the wall.

AngryScientist
09-17-2018, 06:58 AM
Back in January I ordered a No22 made to order “gravel bike”, I kept telling the shop that I wanted this to be more like an 80% road bike that I could ride on fire roads not a “gravel bike” per se. All along the way I keep hearing how a gravel bike “should be” and I keep saying I want this to be more of a road bike I can ride on gravel. If I just wanted a gravel bike I wouldn’t have needed to make a custom order.

I keep obsessing about whether my message had eventually sunk in; and what I’m going to end up with after my 9-10-11 month wait (who knows when it's going to show up).

(thanks for the thread. probably saved me a trip or two to a therapist:confused:)

i dont like the sound of anything about this story. it sounds like your LBS is not very good if you have these questions in your head after ordering an expensive bike like NO22.

I would contact them directly. they have contact info on their web page listed, and from what i have been told, they are pretty responsive and easy to engage.

also - this is what's listed on their page for custom lead time...

Your bike, made exactly as you want it. With a current turnaround time of approximately 12 weeks with stock or custom geometry, our made-to-order collection is comprised of some of the most desirable frames in the world.

R3awak3n
09-17-2018, 09:11 AM

I wonder what the shop thinks a gravel bike differs from a road bike. Are they trying to put 1x on it? Or does the shop have a say on clearances and bike geo?

Like I need a new project but thinking about stripping my Parlee and painting it...

cmbicycles
09-17-2018, 09:42 AM
All of them.

:D

:help:
I think this is the correct answer.

Nooch
09-17-2018, 09:47 AM
color. i've been overthinking color for almost 9 months of a 10 month wait...

ricardinho
09-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Overthinking hydraulic rim brakes. Why? Looks so cool

DRZRM
09-17-2018, 11:22 PM
Makes me think of the difference between the Moots Routt RSL compared to the Routt 45. Shorter head tube, more drop, head tube angle is less slack, shorter chain stays, less stack more reach. More performance and less endurance riding. Takes a 40 tire instead of a 45 but this review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXn0Or911TU) makes me feel like those are numbers I'd like in a gravel bike.

I wonder what the shop thinks a gravel bike differs from a road bike. Are they trying to put 1x on it? Or does the shop have a say on clearances and bike geo?

Like I need a new project but thinking about stripping my Parlee and painting it...

bob heinatz
09-18-2018, 12:11 AM
I am overthinking my last bike. I will be having a custom bike made for a retirement gift to myself. What size tires, steel or ti? Brutal questions.

marciero
09-18-2018, 05:23 AM
Agonized for literally months over 1/4 to 1/2 cm on seat tube length for new custom. Not top tube (though I agonized over that too, trust me) but seat tube. Between that and the top tube, Changed my mind over and over. Really surprised the builder didnt fire me. Though he was (is) responsible for dragging things out a bit too.

Bob Ross
09-18-2018, 09:06 AM
"Overthinking"? Uh... I guess the only thing I've been overthinking lately is "Which 32c tires will I put on my CAADX once I finally wear out the current 37c WTB Riddlers?"

...because these Riddlers look like they're gonna be around for a very long time.

MaraudingWalrus
09-18-2018, 09:19 AM
I made plaster moulds of someone's feet on Sunday for him to send off to some company for some zillion dollar custom shoes.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out where I'd go wrong if I made moulds of my feet and found an underemployed composites expert around here (Space Coast of FL, you can't shake a stick without thwacking at least one underemployed rockety person)to help me wrap carbon around the casts and make a shoe. It seems like it shouldn't be impossibly impossible. But then people charge $1400+ for custom all carbon shoes, so there must be some more than minor foible in this plan that I'm missing.

So, in actuality, I think I'm overthinking the thinking about something I'm underthinking.

gdw
09-18-2018, 12:24 PM
I'm helping a friend design and build a poncho/tarp combo and bivy for 3 season bikepacking trips in Colorado and Utah. The gear will see use in the mountains as well as in the desert and must provide protection from bugs, wind, rain, and light snow. It also needs to be durable, easy to set up, and light. Target weight: 1 pound for tarp, cord, stakes, and bivy.

pdonk
09-18-2018, 02:16 PM
I am glad there are many people contemplating paint. Makes me feel better.

dookie
09-18-2018, 04:01 PM
The next kid's mtb. Anyone selling a Trailcraft 24"?

teleguy57
09-18-2018, 04:17 PM
I am overthinking my last bike. I will be having a custom bike made for a retirement gift to myself. What size tires, steel or ti? Brutal questions.

I had that same discussion with myself 7 years ago -- last bike, custom, retirement gift to self....

Now I'm thinking about what its successor should be -- and asking the same darn questions again!:eek:

I had good advice from Hampco last time around -- buy the bike for 80% of your riding vs trying to get the last 20% of everything. What's happened for me is that what I fantasize doing isn't consistent with what I end up doing. I'm pretty sure it's allroad vs my current Gran Paradiso Ti road -- although I've ridden some rough stuff with it and the bike has performed like a champ. Leaning ti again, likely disc... but more details to overthink for sure!

TonyG
09-18-2018, 04:49 PM

I spoke with Mike at No.22 and it turns out that the bike shop had sat on my deposit and did not place the order. No.22's production time is in fact about what they state on their website.

I have to thank Mike for making the effort to reach out to me and for whoever read my post and made him aware. Many thanks to both!!!

SPOKE
09-18-2018, 05:02 PM
For me to assemble....
Colnago Arabesqe- I have most everything for this build
Colnago C60- I have everything
Bianchi Specialissima- I have the Campy chorus eps group. Need saddle, bars, stem & seatpost
75th Anniversary Paramount- have everything
Serotta Coors lite- have most of the vintage group but plenty more to buy.
Masi 3V Jublee Edition- still collecting bits
Exxon Graftek- a ways to go getting bits
Pink Vitus 979- have most of the bits

TonyG
09-18-2018, 05:05 PM
For me to assemble....

Masi 3V Jublee Edition- still collecting bits

A Masi 3V was a bike I drooled over for many years!

Lanternrouge
09-18-2018, 05:09 PM
For me to assemble....
Serotta Coors lite- have most of the vintage group but plenty more to buy.

Is it Ti or steel? Also, is it a team bike or team paint? A steel one with the paint is on my project list. It will be the first steel bike to be getting a new group on my list.

weaponsgrade
09-18-2018, 05:17 PM
That is a long time to be sitting on a deposit. Glad it got worked out and you get what you want.

I have a new dilemma now. The slush fund is showing sufficient levels for a custom tig steel gravel/allroad, used ti, or production carbon. I don't think my measurements are that abnormal that I wouldn't be able to fit a stock offering; and I also don't think I'm looking for anything weird - like a 1" quill stem with discs. I'd probably opt for a 3rd bottle mount and fenders for the hell of it if I went custom. Not a big deal. Mainly I like supporting small builders. So, what should it be?

I also have a trip to Boston in about two weeks. I don't know if people are aware of this but there's a shop out there that does some mighty fine work in titanium. I hear they have a very nice fit studio. Way out of my budget absent some accounting tomfoolery. I can't say their name out loud because even saying the name would get me thrown in the dog house, but it rhymes with apple pie. Please nobody quote this last paragraph because I might need to come back and delete to cover my tracks.

SPOKE
09-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Is it Ti or steel? Also, is it a team bike or team paint? A steel one with the paint is on my project list. It will be the first steel bike to be getting a new group on my list.

It’s a really well preserved steel frame/fork that was purchased with the team paint (not an actual team frame). It just has a tiny bit of shop wear from being on display. I doubt that it was ever actually ridden. It’s a great looking Frameset!

SPOKE
09-18-2018, 08:24 PM
A Masi 3V was a bike I drooled over for many years!

This was a eBay purchase that was in pretty nice condition. There were a few too many paint chips and nicks that really didn’t touch up well (metallic silver) so I sent it to Tom Kellogg so he could freshen it up. I asked Tom to not make it perfect by really doing a bunch of finish type sanding prep. Was more interested in keeping the frame looking like it came from the factory. Now it’s just waiting on me to build it up. I may strip a Teledyne Titan that has a gently used Campy Super Record group in order to build it up.......or some Mavic bits I have collected.