PDA

View Full Version : The moment on TV bike sponsors dread

Climb01742
09-14-2018, 11:07 AM
From Stage 17 in the Vuelta, when a rider calls your bike '“Cazzo di bici!” That's calling your bike a piece of poop. Oh my. All caught in glorious hi-def audio on the broadcast.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/09/vuelta-a-espana/aru-apologizes-to-ernesto-colnago-for-stage-17-meltdown_478701

mktng
09-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Get the man on a 3T Strada ASAP!

buddybikes
09-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Ok, move from one set of Taiwanese decals to another. ...remember when pro's bikes were custom...

sure he should of been screaming at campy...

El Chaba
09-14-2018, 11:56 AM
For sentimental reasons I'm sorry that Colnago and Campy were the victims, but a part of me is very satisfied whenever anything like electronic shifting, through axles, disc brakes etc. craps out in a big race in a spectacular way..This may have been the biggest event since the Brad Wiggins bike throw...

72gmc
09-14-2018, 11:56 AM
Yikes. His teammate is right to be resolutely staring up the road. Way too much Aru visible to his left ...

dancinkozmo
09-14-2018, 12:18 PM
....meanwhile at shimano HQ

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT1R9CyiZHPpUUkw7K/giphy.gif

FlashUNC
09-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Interesting they're on the V2R and not the C64.

cachagua
09-14-2018, 01:23 PM
When your results are due more to the technology of the bike, and less to the rider's training and determination (more, that is, than with a simpler bike), then when you don't get results, the bike is more to blame, and the rider less.

An illustration: a basketball is a pretty simple piece of sports equipment, and wouldn't it be ridiculous for a basketball player to blame the ball for bad play? There's nothing it can really do wrong. But there are numerous ways -- more, with every new technology -- that a bike can fail and affect your performance.

So I don't think the guy's out of line to call his bike a piece of dookie. I'm disappointed he apologized -- there was no apology necessary.

93KgBike
09-14-2018, 01:37 PM
An illustration: a basketball is a pretty simple piece of sports equipment, and wouldn't it be ridiculous for a basketball player to blame the ball for bad play? There's nothing it can really do wrong.

Isn't that exactly what happened with Tod Brady and his footballs, and with all of baseball's baseballs?

Bad balls can definitely make a difference.

cachagua
09-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Okay, let the illustration be garbage. The point still stands.

Polyglot
09-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Interesting they're on the V2R and not the C64.

Ernesto probably got the contract builder to supply the team frames for free. Had he supplied the C64, he would have needed to pay the sponsorship deal AND the frames.

93KgBike
09-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Okay, let the illustration be garbage. The point still stands.
:cool:

FlashUNC
09-14-2018, 02:02 PM
When your results are due more to the technology of the bike, and less to the rider's training and determination (more, that is, than with a simpler bike), then when you don't get results, the bike is more to blame, and the rider less.

An illustration: a basketball is a pretty simple piece of sports equipment, and wouldn't it be ridiculous for a basketball player to blame the ball for bad play? There's nothing it can really do wrong. But there are numerous ways -- more, with every new technology -- that a bike can fail and affect your performance.

So I don't think the guy's out of line to call his bike a piece of dookie. I'm disappointed he apologized -- there was no apology necessary.

There was a big kerfluffle in the NBA a couple years ago when the league changed the material in the balls a bit. So there is actually some stuff it can do wrong. For those athletes at the sharp end of sports at a world class level, the little things do make a difference.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/04/new-ball-nba-spalding

Spaghetti Legs
09-14-2018, 02:10 PM
There was a thread here, or maybe another site on this. He crashed while descending and apparently trying to pull the chain out that had wedged between the small cog and the frame or some other kind of chain suck. It was reported that later he got a call from Ernesto Colnago and got his ass chewed up (again).

EDS
09-14-2018, 02:51 PM
For sentimental reasons I'm sorry that Colnago and Campy were the victims, but a part of me is very satisfied whenever anything like electronic shifting, through axles, disc brakes etc. craps out in a big race in a spectacular way..This may have been the biggest event since the Brad Wiggins bike throw...

Doesn't look like his bike has discs or through axles. Does appear to have campy wireless.

pincopallinobis
09-14-2018, 02:56 PM
I doubt anyone here knows the real story behind the Aru incident, and what equipment if any was actually to "blame", so any speculation is just that.

The basketball supposition is incorrect:
In 2006 the NBA unveiled a new Spalding game ball and Commissioner David Stern trumpeted, "The advancements that Spalding has made to the new game ball ensure that the best basketball players in the world will be playing with the best basketball in the world."

Well...the best (and the just-average and even the never-close-to-the-best) actual NBA players (not Spalding execs, not NBA execs) were almost unanimous in how how much they despised the new ball. Players as vastly different in how they used the tool as Shaq to Dirk to Nash all openly criticized/blamed it. It was a PR disaster for Spalding/Stern.

pincopallinobis
09-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Ernesto probably got the contract builder to supply the team frames for free. Had he supplied the C64, he would have needed to pay the sponsorship deal AND the frames.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon5.gif

That is an irresponsible and unwarranted assumption. How would you even possibly know? It is unfair to imply that Colnago has acted in the manner you merely speculate that they did/do. Also, accusing Colnago of being "cheap" in this context is unfair as well.

The relationship agreements between Colnago Srl, any third-party suppliers, and Colnago-supplied teams (especially ProTour level) are known only to a very select few, I'm sure.

Free (which is hardly the issue anyway) or not, supplying UAE Team Emirates with sub-standard framesets would be a very stupid decision, and Colnago never have/do not engage in stupid decisions with their teams. Obviously UAE (in a Grand Tour to boot) are the current flagship team; hardly some podunk 5th-level outfit.

I seriously doubt that a concern like Colnago is stiffing its top-level teams on quality-control issues just to save a few lire. If anything, Colnago's history and pedigree is that they are fanatical about q-c/fabrication for the pro teams, especially those at the very top of the sport = top advertising, etc.

Ernesto Colnago had every right to demand a proper apology from Aru for his comments, and Aru was correct in providing one so quickly.

goonster
09-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaqs6_RslM8) is the footage.

sfo1
09-14-2018, 03:28 PM
I wish we still had heavy wool jerseys & shorts. These modern lightweight, breathable, pliable, wicking textiles suck.

For sentimental reasons I'm sorry that Colnago and Campy were the victims, but a part of me is very satisfied whenever anything like electronic shifting, through axles, disc brakes etc. craps out in a big race in a spectacular way.

GregL
09-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Has anyone established whether the jammed chain caused the crash, or if the chain was jammed as a result of the crash. Either way, the fault doesn't appear to be with the bike supplier. Aru has experienced a less-than-stellar season and he's not happy. Venting his frustrations in a way that implicated a team sponsor was a poor move. A fast, public apology was the only wise option open to him.

Greg

BobO
09-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaqs6_RslM8) is the footage.

It's unfortunate that we really only see the aftermath.

It's apparent that something failed on the bike to upset Aru that much. Granted he's a pro and should know better than to trash a sponsor, but, it's not hard to see why he was upset in the heat of the moment.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2018, 04:07 PM
The bike must not have been that gooned up, he got back on and finished the stage.:eek:

Spaghetti Legs
09-14-2018, 04:35 PM
The bike must not have been that gooned up, he got back on and finished the stage.:eek:

I wondered about that too. Wasn’t sure if he got a replacement bike that I didn’t see.

I’m not going to hold this against Aru too much. Adrenaline is already up, you crash, you’re in pain and pissed and start yelling. I remember a few years back when I played a lot of basketball. I turned my ankle for like the umpteenth time and it’s really hurt. I laid on the court pounding it with my hand yelling and cursing to best the band. I think the other players were a little frightened. At the time I was more pissed about being out and hobbling around again for a few weeks.

Big Dan
09-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Wow fanboys out in force....

:eek:

crankles
09-14-2018, 05:29 PM

why stop with Di2/EPS, Disc, and TAs... lets get rid of any progress made after 1903!

“Variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn’t it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles rather than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft. Give me a fixed gear.”
–Henri Desgrange, 1903. Cyclist, first organizer of Tour de France.

Plum Hill
09-14-2018, 05:44 PM
I read somewhere Aru called Colnago and apologized profusely.
It was on the ‘net so it had to be true.