PDA

View Full Version : Is this deal too good to be true?

SoCalSteve
09-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

Contemplating getting a Colnago V1-R that is on closeout from a reputable online dealer. It is 63% off the retail price. The skeptical side of me thinks there is something wrong with this bike frame-design.

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=559&pg=store

I’m interested in the non-disc brake version. The bottom bracket standard and the rear direct mount brake ( under chainstay ) give me pause as well.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences and flames always welcome.

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

R3awak3n
09-14-2018, 10:39 AM
I saw that, I thought it sounded like a good deal.

old_fat_and_slow
09-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Looks legit. to me, but agree sure looks too good to be true.

ultraman6970
09-14-2018, 10:43 AM
You can even call and haggle :P

ultraman6970
09-14-2018, 10:50 AM
DId you see the deals in jamis???

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=607&pg=store&zenid=hptf742f24fmcmf10egvb889f6

dave thompson
09-14-2018, 10:52 AM
I don’t know what bottom bracket is used on those bikes but the direct mount brakes on the front and rear are a large turnoff for me.

PNW
09-14-2018, 10:53 AM
I have purchased the majority of my stuff (Campy groups, a frameset, wheels from Ben at Velomine). This is 100% LEGIT. The reason why it's such a good deal is because they released the V2-R and he still had extra framesets. At one point I was looking at purchasing one but went with the Moots instead.

This deal is NOT too good to be true, it's very real.

kingpin75s
09-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Velomine has always been really solid for me. Very responsive to a call or email with questions as well.

cmg
09-14-2018, 10:55 AM
looks legit for a 2016 model.

nobuseri
09-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Ben has sold me a bit of Campy stuff in the past. Bought a training wheelset from them a few years ago.

Legit shop.

Burnette
09-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Well you did them a solid because I have saved them as a favorite. Next year is a bogey for a project, I'll check that site out before I do anything.

Ken Robb
09-14-2018, 11:33 AM
DId you see the deals in jamis???

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=607&pg=store&zenid=hptf742f24fmcmf10egvb889f6

Did you see how limited the sizes are?

ultraman6970
09-14-2018, 11:42 AM
DId you notice that is the ideal deal for a kid's or a gf sunday bike for 300 bucks?

Did you see how limited the sizes are?

ntb1001
09-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Velomine is legit!!

I’ve gotten great deals on Campy there. Ben really was great with me a few years back on an issue I had, all I can say is they’re excellent to deal with.

If I hadn’t bought my Parlee last year...I would be all over the Colnago V1-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalSteve
09-14-2018, 11:50 AM
I don’t know what bottom bracket is used on those bikes but the direct mount brakes on the front and rear are a large turnoff for me.

Why? Please explain. I can how the rear mounted down by the bottom bracket would be an issue, but why the front?

Thanks!!!

Clean39T
09-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Please buy a 58S and sell it to me next year when I decide I'm willing to ride carbon again... :bike:

zap
09-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Velomine is a good retailer.

Not too many are interested in having a bike with bb mounted brakes.

ntb1001
09-14-2018, 12:06 PM

I have direct mount on my Parlee.
I don’t love the undermount by the BB, but it works fine. The direct mount are good for keeping brakes centred, I like it better than traditional mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalSteve
09-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Please buy a 58S and sell it to me next year when I decide I'm willing to ride carbon again... :bike:

Ok, will do. Any particular paint scheme you’d like?

SoCalSteve
09-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Velomine is a good retailer.

Not too many are interested in having a bike with bb mounted brakes.

Why is this?

Thank you!

russd32
09-14-2018, 12:36 PM
I've never purchased from VeloMine, but they are local and I did drive by the shop one day thinking I'd walk through the showroom and check some stuff out. I think the prices are low because the building is basically an old store/warehouse and they have no storefront at all. I've never heard horror stories about them.

CiclistiCliff
09-14-2018, 12:55 PM
Not a scam. Colnago is blowing out their inventory of old frames.

Direct mount brakes work amazingly well. Better than regular calipers with more clearance. It's a non issue.

Clean39T
09-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Ok, will do. Any particular paint scheme you’d like?All look fine to me, but the black is probably lighter ;)

Direct mount on the BB shouldn't matter in SoCal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

colker
09-14-2018, 01:14 PM
That particular model jumps sizes in the traditional Colnago fit chart where sizes grow at 1cm pace. I ride a 55 so it´s not for me.

John H.
09-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Brake under bb = deal breaker for me.

SoCalSteve
09-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Brake under bb = deal breaker for me.

Why can’t anyone answer me why this is such a big deal??? I’ve asked this now 3 times in this thread.

Would love to know why there is such negativity towards this style of brake.

Thank you!!!

sfghbiker
09-14-2018, 02:05 PM
never been to this website but they also seem to have some good deals on a limited selection of enve wheels

likebikes
09-14-2018, 02:05 PM
gotta be a scam.

earlfoss
09-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Velomine is legit. The V1-R bikes I've seen seem to play nicest with an EE brake mounted under the BB. That gets you past the clearance issues users had with Shimano brakes and certain cranksets. Also, the Colnago bb design is excellent. I had a C60 for almost 2 seasons and appreciated the future-proofing and creak avoidance that went into its design.

Rusty Luggs
09-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Why can’t anyone answer me why this is such a big deal??? I’ve asked this now 3 times in this thread.

Thank you!!!

Location makes it a PITA to work on.
Makes repair stands that support off bottom bracket difficult or impossible to use.
If you ride in the rain, it gets far more water spray with road grit thrown at it than if mounted on seat stays.
All for minor aero benefit.
So IMHO downsides outweigh any upside.

alancw3
09-14-2018, 03:26 PM
steve: did a quick search of reviews for the v1-r:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/colnago-v1-r

appears that cycling weekly gives the frame high marks for drivability. low for value ,which would be negated by 63% off msrp. i would agree with you about climate not being a factor for the unconventional rear brake placement. that brake placement might even be more stable than on the seat stays. only bike i know of that had that brake placement was the 1950's raleigh bikes. personally if i was looking for a carbon road bike and the geometry works i would go for it. i can't see how you could loose much money on it if you didn't like on resale. it is a beautiful frame and i would guess rock solid knowing colnago and ferrari. can't wait to see the build! alan

zap
09-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Why is this?

Thank you!

BB area is a collection point for moisture, oil, sugar, bugs, etc. All that gets into every nook and cranny and a brake has plenty of those.

SoCalSteve
09-14-2018, 04:08 PM
BB area is a collection point for moisture, oil, sugar, bugs, etc. All that gets into every nook and cranny and a brake has plenty of those.

I’m not sure where you ride, but my bottom bracket area never sees all that!:eek:

dave thompson
09-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Location makes it a PITA to work on.
Makes repair stands that support off bottom bracket difficult or impossible to use.
If you ride in the rain, it gets far more water spray with road grit thrown at it than if mounted on seat stays.
All for minor aero benefit.
So IMHO downsides outweigh any upside.
^^THIS^^ I’ve worked on bikes with these, much too fiddly with no benefits.

alancw3
09-14-2018, 05:29 PM
the one other question i have based on the picture of the one v1-r that i saw built is the availability of brake calibers? looked like a special caliber arm was used to clear the chainring. does this frame require proprietary brake calibers? if so what is availability? if so and you can't get them might be a reason for the huge markdown in price. just saying! of course if you got the disk model this would not be an issue!

Plum Hill
09-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Nothing but good things to say about Ben and the guys at Velo Mine.
My buddy broke a Chorus rear axle and flinched at the price of a replacement. I called Ben. He had a used one in the “back room” for an incredible (as in ‘dirt cheap’) price.

On the Colnago in question, were they made in Italy or some far off land?

KarlC
09-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Some good point make in the below thread be sure to read it also ....

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=227751&highlight=Colnago

KarlC
09-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Nothing but good things to say about Ben and the guys at Velo Mine.
My buddy broke a Chorus rear axle and flinched at the price of a replacement. I called Ben. He had a used one in the “back room” for an incredible (as in ‘dirt cheap’) price.

On the Colnago in question, were they made in Italy or some far off land?

The VR-1 is made in some far off land

zap
09-14-2018, 06:44 PM
I’m not sure where you ride, but my bottom bracket area never sees all that!:eek:

Paved roads.

Sweat, energy drink dribbles, snot, the odd dried worm, fruit bits, etc. Normal stuff that happens on road rides.

Peter P.
09-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Thank you!!!

Rear brakes under the bottom bracket are a pain to adjust, service, replace brake pads, and so on. They also collect much more dirt, grunge, and muck, depending on the conditions. This can lead to rough brake operation.

On the front, you'll be limited to available direct mount brakes should you ever want to change brands. And if, for whatever reason, you need or want to change the fork, you'll be hard pressed to find a replacement.

I prefer flexibility, choice, and ease of service.

charliedid
09-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Yep

Velomine is legit and Colnago has never been afraid to blow out bikes...we sold some at incredible prices through a shop I worked at for a while.

I say brakes schmakes....set them up right and don't ride through a foot of sticky mud.

Cool bike that rides amazing.

Clean39T
09-14-2018, 07:48 PM

That's kind of all about disc-brake clusterfluffs though..

Still, I'd be careful of price-anchoring though. $1699 is either what its worth to you or it isn't - the original MSRP is just an aspirational halo number that was set some time ago... That said, it is new, and with warranty. And that's nice.

SoCalSteve
09-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Read it, if I wanted the disc version, I’d look elsewhere for sure!

Lanternrouge
09-14-2018, 08:53 PM
At this point, if you still want it, you should get it. All that matters is that you like it. Even if you don't, you already know there are people here who would gladly take it off your hands as a used bike.

SoCalSteve
09-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, experience and wisdom!

Pulled the trigger on a 58s non disc version in UNNE. Gonna look pretty hot with a set of ENVE 4.5’s. Can’t wait! I haven’t owned a Colnago in a few years and I don’t think I’ve ever owned a monocoque bike.

Now all I need is a 130 Colnago stem.

Clean39T
09-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, experience and wisdom!

Pulled the trigger on a 58s non disc version in UNNE. Gonna look pretty hot with a set of ENVE 4.5’s. Can’t wait! I haven’t owned a Colnago in a few years and I don’t think I’ve ever owned a monocoque bike.

Now all I need is a 130 Colnago stem.Nice! Look forward to seeing the build and how you fit on it.

SoCalSteve
09-15-2018, 03:58 PM
Nice! Look forward to seeing the build and how you fit on it.

Build will be ETap, ENVE 4.5’s, 9100 crankset and brakes. If I can find a cool Colnago stem in 130, if not ENVE. I’m excited!

soupless
09-16-2018, 09:50 AM
ooh jealous that looks like a cool bike

MaraudingWalrus
09-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Build will be ETap, ENVE 4.5’s, 9100 crankset and brakes. If I can find a cool Colnago stem in 130, if not ENVE. I’m excited!

I always caution people about using eTap with non SRAM cranksets. Have seen some bad situations where folks who didn't have their derailleurs set up absolutely perfectly (and some who likely did have it set up perfectly) run into contact with the cranksets.

Most all brands who do a bike with an eTap group spec some type of SRAM crank on them for this reason, even Cannondale who obviously very much prefer to use their Holowgrams does it.

If you set everything up right it'll probably be fine, but just a word of caution. SRAM will tell you its absolutely a no-go - a more severe no go than the standard "we design our chains to work with our cassettes and derailleurs and can't speak to how they work with a Shimano chain or cassette" type answer, more of a "it may rip your FD off" type of answer.