PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch Series 4...worth a look for cycling?

fourspin
09-13-2018, 10:06 PM
I've run my trusty old Garmin 500 for years, and for the most part, it does the job, with the occasional glitch (it zapped half of my ride today for some reason, as an example). I've considered a 510, 520, etc and never quite been able to pull the trigger.

I used Strava for a few years and then got tired of the socialization and competitive nature and so now I just track my mileage on Garmin Connect.

Has anyone here transitioned from a Garmin/Wahoo/etc to an Apple Watch? I assume sensors are problematic (I'd have to find a BT chest strap and cadence/speed sensors). Would be interested in your feedback.

tylercheung
09-13-2018, 10:15 PM
I am probably not the right person to ask because I don’t keep track of my “Watts” but I like the Apple Watch 3 + Strava in private mode to track my rides. The hr meter is “good enough”. If the watch 4 has better electrodes then it may be more accurate

fourspin
09-13-2018, 10:18 PM
I think my Garmin samples data at around 1 second, including heart rate. (I only know this because I tried to repair my .fit file from this mornig's ride). Does the Apple Watch sample that frequently? My wife has the original Apple Watch and it seemed like it only measured heart rate when you asked it to. But then again, she isn't running Strava on it.

I am probably not the right person to ask because I don’t keep track of my “Watts” but I like the Apple Watch 3 + Strava in private mode to track my rides. The hr meter is “good enough”. If the watch 4 has better electrodes then it may be more accurate

Likes2ridefar
09-14-2018, 02:38 PM
I use my Apple Watch with gps twice a day commuting to work. It is simple to use, don’t even notice wearing it, and works perfectly fine with garmin connect and strava.

iPaul
09-16-2018, 03:03 PM
How does one use the Apple Watch with Garmin connect? Can it be synced or do you need to manually move the files? Looking to replace my wife’s vivoactive hr which is horrible as a heart rate monitor.

OtayBW
09-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Slightly OT, but I get really tired of my Edge 500 not synching up and Garmin Connect not recognizing the device. It works great! Except for the whiskey-tango-foxtrot after ride effect....

zmudshark
09-16-2018, 05:51 PM
I hate wearing a watch, but I think the Apple Watch 4 would work well with any activity.

Pro tip:
Just don't look at it while riding.

tylercheung
09-16-2018, 06:49 PM
I think my Garmin samples data at around 1 second, including heart rate. (I only know this because I tried to repair my .fit file from this mornig's ride). Does the Apple Watch sample that frequently? My wife has the original Apple Watch and it seemed like it only measured heart rate when you asked it to. But then again, she isn't running Strava on it.

I dunno. But I also had the original watch and the Series 3 is mucho mucho better, leaps and bounds. That being said, I never actually checked how often it checked heart rate. The Series 4 has the fancy schmancy EKG sensor but I don't have

pmac
09-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Normally it samples heart rate at intervals, no idea of the frequency but it isn't often enough to capture the rate during hard (for me) efforts on the bike. However, if I use the Workout app (green circle with the profile of a runner inside) in the biking mode, then it's clearly measuring the rate quite often and I can see exactly where I was in my ride based on the recorded heart rate. I have no idea of how this compares to a dedicated heart rate monitor. This is with the series 3 version.

chiasticon
09-17-2018, 07:54 AM
I think my Garmin samples data at around 1 second, including heart rate. (I only know this because I tried to repair my .fit file from this mornig's ride). Does the Apple Watch sample that frequently? My wife has the original Apple Watch and it seemed like it only measured heart rate when you asked it to. But then again, she isn't running Strava on it.going off of the data points in the Health app, it samples every ten minutes while you're resting. and every 5-10 seconds while in an activity (native watch activity or Strava). if, however, you link it to a chest strap, it will sample at whatever the strap does; which is usually every second. you just need to make sure you get a Bluetooth enabled chest strap (like Wahoo TICKR).

now, does that resolution of data matter to you enough to wear a chest strap? that's up to you.

MikeD
09-17-2018, 09:53 AM
I my opinion, watches don't work well in cycling. After all, it's on your wrist out of sight whereas the Garmin is there right in front of your face. Also, the Garmin sensors really improve accuracy and you get cadence. Does the watch interface with the sensors (ant +)? I think not.

93KgBike
09-17-2018, 10:11 AM
I think I am most interested in the EKG (FDA approved) built into it. That's pretty interesting, and would lead one to believe that it should be accurate for rides without connecting to other sensors. I don't believe it requires skin pads.

chiasticon
09-17-2018, 10:23 AM
I my opinion, watches don't work well in cycling. After all, it's on your wrist out of sight whereas the Garmin is there right in front of your face. Also, the Garmin sensors really improve accuracy and you get cadence. Does the watch interface with the sensors (ant +)? I think not.the Wahoo sensors (or any BT ones) will talk to the Apple watch just fine. no options for power though, last I checked. some of the Garmin watches will do power; and they talk ANT+ so your sensor options are larger.

I like watches for riding off-road, where you can't really look at the data while riding anyway, but would like to review later or just want to have a record of the ride.

charliedid
10-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Anybody get one of these yet?

Irishgirl
01-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Anybody get one of these yet?

Great Question...curious minds would like to know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djg21
01-06-2019, 02:14 PM
I've run my trusty old Garmin 500 for years, and for the most part, it does the job, with the occasional glitch (it zapped half of my ride today for some reason, as an example). I've considered a 510, 520, etc and never quite been able to pull the trigger.

I used Strava for a few years and then got tired of the socialization and competitive nature and so now I just track my mileage on Garmin Connect.

Has anyone here transitioned from a Garmin/Wahoo/etc to an Apple Watch? I assume sensors are problematic (I'd have to find a BT chest strap and cadence/speed sensors). Would be interested in your feedback.

I’m wear an AW4, and love it. But I don’t really use it for riding. I use a Garmin Edge 1030 with Vector pedals and prefer that setup. I don’t really like wearing a watch when I ride, but I do wear it when I want to leave my iPhone at home (I have cell service on mine). As far as a HRM strap, the Polar H10 will connect via BLE. I use one indoors because it will simultaneously transmit to my iPhone/AW, my old Computrainer, and my Garmin.

With respect to your question, it really depends on what you are using it for.

djg21
01-06-2019, 02:21 PM
I think I am most interested in the EKG (FDA approved) built into it. That's pretty interesting, and would lead one to believe that it should be accurate for rides without connecting to other sensors. I don't believe it requires skin pads.

The ECG isn’t going to help you while riding. To activate it, you need to have the ECG app opened, and you have to put the index finger from your other hand on the watch crown for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, it tells you if it detects an atrial fibrillation. The HRM monitor has proven pretty accurate (without a chest strap).

Likes2ridefar
01-06-2019, 02:22 PM
I've used my watch quite a bit more since I posted last time.

The HR is pretty accurate but with gloves or arm warmers sometimes doesnt read properly since it gets pushed out of the ideal position. Rarely wear a jacket in AZ so can't comment on that.

The auto-pause is not as accurate as it was on my Garmin 1000. I notice it takes longer to pause when I stop at a light, and am not sure how fast it starts working again once I start moving.

I find the watch comfortable when on the road, but yesterday decided to ride the desert classic trail on my 30mm sized tires Roubaix in south mtn. park (PHX) which is definitely a MTB trail and not friendly to road bikes...

point being the watch was noticeable when going over very rough terrain, and started to act like a hammer on the edge of my hand. I tried covering it with my arm warmer but it was still knocking around some on bumpy sections.

Other than the auto-pause, and if you were wanting to use the watch for MTB'ing or bumpy terrain on a road bike, I think its perfectly adequate for cycling.

Alan
01-06-2019, 02:51 PM
See

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/apple-watch-series-4-in-depth-review.html

Happy reading!!!

Alan

Irishgirl
01-06-2019, 03:55 PM
See

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/apple-watch-series-4-in-depth-review.html

Happy reading!!!

Alan

Thanks for reposting!!!

meant to read his post on the Apple Watch and other reading got ahead of his review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronf100
01-06-2019, 10:34 PM
I find that the Apple Watch 4’s fall detection gets easily triggered by bumpy roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wc1934
01-31-2019, 08:00 PM
I use my Apple Watch with gps twice a day commuting to work. It is simple to use, don’t even notice wearing it, and works perfectly fine with garmin connect and strava.

Contemplating buying an AW as my Garmin is acting up. How do you synch to garmin connect?

Likes2ridefar
01-31-2019, 08:53 PM
Contemplating buying an AW as my Garmin is acting up. How do you synch to garmin connect?

Mine is through strava.