PDA

View Full Version : Broken Brooks Cambium C13 carbon rails

zambenini
09-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Just like the title says, riding today on my road bike and felt like my butt was sinking or waggling (someone has a gif for this) and put my hand back there and discovered not one but two broken carbon rails behind the saddle clamp. Stood up the remaining five miles.

No hits, no crashes, no racing. (Well about two years ago I tipped over at a stop light in one of those embarrassing moments that happen to us, admit it or not, and there was some damage to the rubber cover and one of the rivets) but the rails we're fine and it's been going strong since then....

Anyway, you carbon rail saddle experts and users out there what's your experience with these? What's your read? Over torque?? Normal service life concluding catastrophically? I will save us the time and own up to being an old fat man at 33 and 200lbs but I didn't think old enough or fat enough for this. :cool:

Cicli
09-13-2018, 08:11 PM
What seatpost?
Any sharp edges on the clamp?

zambenini
09-13-2018, 08:19 PM
A fizik carbon one, I've forgotten which model... I will check the clamp for burrs and such. The left rail cracked immediately aft of the clamp. The right about 1cm aft of the clamp.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

jtbadge
09-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Theoretically, Fizik seatposts should handle 7x9 carbon rails perfectly. In practice, the one I had creaked endlessly with my C13. I was afraid to tighten it any further - maybe you just over torqued it.

FWIW I weigh even more than you and have used C13s extensively since they came out, no cracking or other issues with Thomson, Shimano, or Nitto seatposts.