PDA

View Full Version : 34/52

CPP
09-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Hi,
Is anyone running a 34/52 chainset? Any issues?
Thanks for sharing your experiences

FlashUNC
09-13-2018, 11:27 AM
They would type their replies, but their fingers are too mucked up from having to constantly put their dropped chains back on.

seanile
09-13-2018, 11:44 AM
FDs are usually built for a maximum spread of 16teeth

chiasticon
09-13-2018, 12:17 PM
WickWerks sells 53/34 rings. https://wickwerks.com/products/road-bike-ultra-wide-53-34/

WW using pretty extensive machining for their rings that has little ramps for the chain to go into to get carried up onto the big ring, instead of pins to catch and pull it. they work very well. I used 'em in CX for a couple years with no issues. some CX pros (Katie Compton) swear by 'em.

I haven't tried these specific rings, but they were reviewed favorably here: https://bikerumor.com/2016/04/21/review-wickwerks-lets-you-have-cake-eat-it-too-meshing-standard-53t-compact-34t-rings/

Mark McM
09-13-2018, 12:20 PM
I've been using a 34/52 for a few years now. The front derailleur does not shift as quickly or as snappily as with a smaller chainring differential, but it is quite reliable. If you shift just the front chainring, it results in a large change in cadence, so I usually shift the front and rear derailleurs simultaneously, so that the change in cadence is minor. I'm using Campagnolo Ultra-shift shifters and can do multiple rear sprocket shifts in either direction, so when I shift the front derailleur, I also shift the rear 2 or 3 sprockets, regardless of which direction I'm going between chainrings. And no, I rarely drop my chain - but I'm using a well adjusted K-Edge Chain Keeper, so that may have a lot to do with it.

Other comments: When in the 34 chainring, the chain rubs against the 52 chainring when in the smallest two rear sprockets. But I will have almost always shifted to the big chainring before I reach the smallest sprockets in the rear, so the rub rarely occurs. The large chainring differential is not ideal for terrain where you will be shifting between chainrings often, such as in rolling hills, but is better in terrain with long hills where you will be staying on a single chainring for longer periods of time.

weisan
09-13-2018, 12:32 PM
The large chainring differential is not ideal for terrain where you will be shifting between chainrings often, such as in rolling hills, but is better in terrain with long hills where you will be staying on a single chainring for longer periods of time.

This is key.

I have one or two bikes set up with 34/52. I like them especially in the kind of terrain that Mark pal mentioned. In the entire ride, I would stay probably 90-95% on the big ring and maybe 5-10 % where I would get on the small ring. Ok, don't shoot me on this, when I am "feelin' real good", I would stay 100% the whole time on the big ring....that's just because in the back, I've got a 11-34 cassette. :p

CPP
09-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Thanks everybody for the feedback

oldpotatoe
09-14-2018, 08:48 AM
This is key.

I have one or two bikes set up with 34/52. I like them especially in the kind of terrain that Mark pal mentioned. In the entire ride, I would stay probably 90-95% on the big ring and maybe 5-10 % where I would get on the small ring. Ok, don't shoot me on this, when I am "feelin' real good", I would stay 100% the whole time on the big ring....that's just because in the back, I've got a 11-34 cassette. :p

Ouch, say goodbye to the big ring..hint, hint, 52/34 about same as 34/21:eek:

Spdntrxi
09-14-2018, 08:56 AM
I ran 52/34 w. 11/34 mid cage ultegra clutched derailleur on my gravel bike...
Front is a little slower is all.

jamesdak
09-14-2018, 09:16 AM
WickWerks sells 53/34 rings. https://wickwerks.com/products/road-bike-ultra-wide-53-34/

WW using pretty extensive machining for their rings that has little ramps for the chain to go into to get carried up onto the big ring, instead of pins to catch and pull it. they work very well. I used 'em in CX for a couple years with no issues. some CX pros (Katie Compton) swear by 'em.

I haven't tried these specific rings, but they were reviewed favorably here: https://bikerumor.com/2016/04/21/review-wickwerks-lets-you-have-cake-eat-it-too-meshing-standard-53t-compact-34t-rings/

OK, I've got a set of these on my Lemond Tourmelet. In all honesty, and using a standard Dura Ace FD, they are my best shifting set of chainrings despite the huge jump. This is comparing them to a slew of Shimano and Campagnolo setups on my 25+ other bikes. From 80's era components up to modern 11 speed from both makers. I have NEVER had a dropped chain or any other issue with them. The drop down is fast and perfect everytime. The jump up is even better. The ramp system they have developed is awesome. It'll jump from the 34 to the 53 before I even complete the throw with the shifter. No hesitation, no missed shifts, it just works. My version is one of the earlier one's and they are a couple of improved generations beyond what I have.

Now I will also say the practicality of this spread is debatable. I like to use them on one local Cat 1 climb that is over 20 miles longs but not really all that steep in a lot of places. So the 34 helps me keep climbing, and climbing, and climbing. Then on the way down there's miles and miles of shallow descending and curves were you never really reach the point where you gain by going aero over pedaling. So the 53 is practically for carrying speed down these miles. On my other steeper climbs this setup is not as practical.

So, in a nutshell. Wickwerks chainrings work great. I'd say if you have any issues with the shifting on them then you don't have your FD dialed in properly. To be honest. If I had more modern bike than the mostly vintage steel I ride I've upgrade a few others to his more standard chainring setups. They just don't look right on a vintage steel bike.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/163817821.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/163817826.jpg

Now full disclosure, I got mine free from the owner of Wichwerks. He wanted me to test them out for him in real use. I honestly was skeptical but they work great. His chain rings are quite popular with the European CX crowd. You may not notice them much due to sponsorship issues where the riders have to promote the bigger Shimano sponser. But if you look closely you'll see his chain rings all over group in place of the Shimano ones.