PDA

View Full Version : Frank Zappa Plays Bikes on Steve SAll

rounder
09-12-2018, 10:47 PM
This appears to be an early Frank Zappa video. He Plays bikes on Steve Allen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MewcnFl_6Y

oliver1850
09-12-2018, 11:03 PM
How did you come across that? MIA member Fixed posted a link to it a couple of years ago. I would have never come across it on my own. I've read several Zappa bios, but don't recall any reference to the Allen show appearance. Frank will have been gone for 25 years come December 4.

rounder
09-12-2018, 11:08 PM
I dunno. I was just clicking around and found it. It was pretty stupid but had to do with bikes so I posted it.

Frank Zappa lived in the Baltimore area years ago, Went to a concert years ago when his band was playing. I do not remember any of the song but it sounded good. Pretty jazzy.

oliver1850
09-12-2018, 11:16 PM
It's been sad to read about the squabbling over rights to Frank's music. From what I've been able to gather, Dweezil has been prevented from continuing his "Zappa plays Zappa" tours.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/business/media/whats-in-a-name-just-ask-frank-zappas-feuding-heirs.html

Perhaps this issue has been resolved, hoping so. DZ was at one time touring with the focus on a specific album, and gathering as many of the original band members from said album as could be included. Great for the band members, as well as fans from back in the day.

oliver1850
09-12-2018, 11:17 PM
I dunno. I was just clicking around and found it. It was pretty stupid but had to do with bikes so I posted it.

Frank Zappa lived in the Baltimore area years ago, Went to a concert years ago when his band was playing. I do not remember any of the song but it sounded good. Pretty jazzy.

Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny (FZ).

rounder
09-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Yeah. I do not own any Frank Zappa music, never wanted to buy any. But when I saw the band play, they sounded great. I think it was at the Laurel festival.

oliver1850
09-12-2018, 11:31 PM

Yes, it was pretty stupid. Don't know if it did anything for his career but who else can claim to play a bicycle as a musical instrument?

Frank was born in Baltimore, but his dad moved the family around a lot as he worked either for the military, or companies involved with defense.

fiamme red
09-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Yes, it was pretty stupid. Don't know if it did anything for his career but who else can claim to play a bicycle as a musical instrument?PDQ Bach: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervertimento_for_Bagpipes,_Bicycle_and_Balloons.

oliver1850
09-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Yeah. I do not own any Frank Zappa music, never wanted to buy any. But when I saw the band play, they sounded great. I think it was at the Laurel festival.

There is a lot more to his music than Dinah-Moe Humm. Freak Out, Absolutely Free, We're Only in it for the Money, Uncle Meat, and Hot Rats are essential 60s listening.

marciero
09-13-2018, 05:52 AM
No albums but much respect. Saw him with Steve Vai on guitar, newly plucked out of Berklee