PDA

View Full Version : Cold feet - what works?

Andreas
11-05-2006, 05:51 AM
Just got back from a quick 1 hour loop - it was 11F when I left and 18F when I got back - no prob staying warm except for the feet.

It seems no matter what I do my feet get cold.

Today I used two pair of wool socks, sidi dominators (no mesh variety) and assos overshoes - not good enough...

Looking for recipies that have worked for people riding in sub 35F or below 0C. Do winter shoes work?

Thanks,
Andreas
Etna, NH

rwsaunders
11-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Are the Assos overshoes insulated?

A.L.Breguet
11-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Seems my biggest prob is my feet start to sweat. I've started to use thinner socks, and talc powder all under heavy neoprene booties. Seems better down to about 20'. I've had some success w/silk under socks too.
Desparation has caused me to use those disposable heat packs too, in extreme conditions. They help.
I've never tried winter shoes.
I'm guessing the cross/MTB folks might have some insight. :fight:

Andreas
11-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Are the Assos overshoes insulated?

It's Thermax. assos specs (http://assos.com/en/accessories/detail.aspx?article=44&color=) .

Fat Robert
11-05-2006, 06:41 AM
ride the trainer

that works

Andreas
11-05-2006, 06:49 AM
ride the trainer

that works

I ride to get around, e.g. work.

Thanks though,
Andreas
Etna, NH

Dredd
11-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Since you already use Sidi shoes, maybe you should look at purchasing some winter shoes. http://www.sidiusa.com/winter.html I have used their winter shoes with wool (nike) sock and that Assos bootie. into single digit, 5+ hours rides. Feet were cool but not cold

mikemets
11-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Just got back from a quick 1 hour loop - it was 11F when I left and 18F when I got back - no prob staying warm except for the feet.

Today I used two pair of wool socks, sidi dominators (no mesh variety) and assos overshoes - not good enough...

Looking for recipies that have worked for people riding in sub 35F or below 0C. Do winter shoes work?

Thanks,
Andreas
Etna, NH

Hi Andreas,

I ride at those temps, and much colder, and keep my feet/toes plenty warm. I go to a ski shop or hunting section of a sports store and buy both hand and toe chemical warmers.

As directed I put the thin adhesive backed toe warmers under my sock and in my shoe. This is okay, but they seem to get warmer when I take them off, and they get more air. They work a little in there, but the real 'trick' is to put the bigger, rectangular, hand warmer on top of the shoe, right over the mesh area designed to let air in and keep your feet cool in hot temps. Put a fleece lined bootie on, and you will have warm if not hot toes all winter long.

I think the hand warmers, located over your shoe, and in the bootie, get the air they need to really work.

Mike

Rapid Tourist
11-05-2006, 07:01 AM
If what you are doing is not warm enough, follow these instructions:

Place the 2 layers of wool socks on your feet. Place your foot inside some sort of plastic bag like a grocery bag that has been cut down or a somewhat thick plastic storage bag (like a ziplock bag that has been cut down).

Insert foot into your shoes. Place your booties over the shoes.

Go ride.

This receipe works for me. The plastic bags also helps in slipping your foot in the shoe when you are wearing thick socks.

Tom
11-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Down to about 25 degrees I'm comfortable. It is a function of how much heat I lose elsewhere, too. If I don't have a good enough hat my feet get cold.

Etna, huh? Great roads around there. When my sister's up in North Haverhill I have to go up for a few days with my bike.

How dorky would a snowboard helmet look while I'm riding? I'm still trying to come up with good hat and helmet combos and I would just pitch the helmet when I needed a lot of warmth on the head like a big wool hat but I'm also thinking that when there's the chance of ice I am more likely to fall off my bike. A buddy of mine who's a really good boarder, after concussing nicely (he described it as the white flash when you reboot), bought one and says its the warmest winter hat he's ever had.

davids
11-05-2006, 07:09 AM
How dorky would a snowboard helmet look while I'm riding? I'm still trying to come up with good hat and helmet combos and I would just pitch the helmet when I needed a lot of warmth on the head like a big wool hat but I'm also thinking that when there's the chance of ice I am more likely to fall off my bike. A buddy of mine who's a really good boarder, after concussing nicely (he described it as the white flash when you reboot), bought one and says its the warmest winter hat he's ever had.
A balaclava works for me, under the helmet. Keeps me warm into the low teens.

93legendti
11-05-2006, 07:34 AM

Thanks,
Andreas
Etna, NH
Up to 2 hours (I do not ride longer in the winter) Sidi Freeze shoes, DeFeet The Blaze wool socks and PI's warmest booties (Toasters?) work great. This has kept my feet warm down to 6 degrees. If it is really windy, I might throw on a pair of toe warmers as well.

Bobbo
11-05-2006, 07:43 AM
I like these:

http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301

Along with some heavier/wool riding socks and a chemical warmer between the sock and shoe over the toes. That's good for two hours down to 20 F for me. Any colder or longer and it's the trainer for me.

I have some friends that use these battery-powered things (I think they're skiing gadgets) that basically go into the shoes. The battery pack makes your feet look like they're turbo charged.

djg
11-05-2006, 08:10 AM
I know that it can get colder than that in the upper Valley, but 11 degrees is just plain cold, no matter what.

So, there's no easy answer. Winter shoes do work, but only just so well. I have a pair of Northwave winter road shoes--they're less of a pain than booties, and for me (always had problems with cold feet), they're good for an hour, give or take, in the 20s, but it's not like wearing a pair of Sorel boots while you ride. I'd say that you've had good suggestions already mostly. I've never been a fan of the many socks theory--certainly in skiing, I've done worse restricting the circulation with too many socks or too thick socks than I have profitted from the extra insulation. I think that if you have a slightly larger pair of winter shoes, you'll do well with a good pair of wool socks and, if you've left room, chemical toe warmers (the little packets). That should help quite a bit. If you're really talking about being out in the cold, as cold as NH can get though, I'd think about putting a big old pair of platform pedals on a beater bike so that you can ride in insulated hiking boots. Finally--although I've never tried this and don't know what it costs--you could look into ski insoles that are wired and run a low level charge (I don't know what's around now or what they cost).

And the balaclava suggestion makes sense too--your head is a big heat sink, and keeping it warm helps slow the chilling of the extremities.

DfCas
11-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I mtb all winter and I've found that using shoes at least 1 size larger than usual lets me add more layers of socks and still have a loose fitting shoe. Packing socks in a snug fitting shoe = reduced circulation and cold feet.I use Mega's,so I can't buy winter boots since they are all medium width.

I read somewhere that some people swear by Shimano sandals-loose fitting,lots of socks,and booties on top.

Tailwinds
11-05-2006, 08:23 AM
And the balaclava suggestion makes sense too--your head is a big heat sink, and keeping it warm helps slow the chilling of the extremities.

If just the balaclava isn't enough, I put a wool skullcap on top of that -- and my helmet on top of that.

I usually have toe covers on my shoes by the time winter REALLY arrives -- then I just put Performance neoprene booties on top of the toe covers so I have 2 layers on the outside of my shoes (as previously suggested). Also, nothing but wool socks when it's cold. I've heard those battery-operated foot warmers are awesome.

mikemets
11-05-2006, 08:28 AM
I ride with people who swear by Hotronics:

http://cozywinters.com/hotronic/

I've never tried them since my system works great for me, but they look like a great solution.

Other interesting stuff on that site.

zap
11-05-2006, 08:36 AM
In the past I've ridden in temps down to 15 degrees wearing regular shoes, socks, and warmers. Warmers don't last for longer rides.

About 5 years ago I bought some neoprene Garneau booties that work great. I've never had a need for warmers while wearing these booties.

As mentioned by some, don't cover your feet with a bunch of crap and stuff them in tight shoes. They need room.

CNY rider
11-05-2006, 09:06 AM

I"m going to find out soon enough. I bought a Giro9.9 helmet for skiing and instantly thought it would be great for winter biking too. It's insulated inside and has flaps that keep your ears warm.
I've commuted this past week with my regular helmet with a liner inside, with temps in the mid 20's. When we hit 20 and lower I"m wearing the ski helmet.

Birddog
11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
For starters, I'll give you the standard "lines" I give my first time never evers when I'm ski instructing. If you feel you must wear two pairs of socks, make sure that one of the socks is a specific base sock. They are usually very thin. The second can be of moderate or even heavy thickness, but remember its the entrapped air that keeps you warm, stuffing your feet tightly into shoes or boots defeats the insulating properties of air. Never ever wrap your feet in plastic despite stories of success. The plastic traps all the sweat and eventually your feet get really cold and wet to boot.

Now for specifics re. cycling, I've had good success with the chemical foot warmer. The idea of putting them on top as well where circulating air can hit them sounds promising, I'll try that. A shoe that's a half or full size larger is also a good idea, and a winter specific shoe is best. In the past I used Neoprene booties, but I've quit, they make my feet too sweaty. I've actually had good success with some home made booties made from those fleece socks (Acorn) that you can buy. My shoe size is 10 and I bought some XL fleece socks, glued parts of the sole from my old booties on them, cut a hole for cleats, and wiggled them on. If you buy booties, I think something that is windproof that breathes is better than Neoprene (unless you're riding in wet or slop), but that's just me.

Birddog

Peter P.
11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I find that the hard plastic/carbon soles of cycling shoes, along with any nylon/mesh(though you said your shoes didn't have any)/synthetic uppers conduct heat away from the feet.

Shoes that fit snugly, particularly if wearing thick socks or a second pair, exacerbate cold feet. Circulation will be reduced even though your feet don't feel like they're being constricted.

Legs need to be kept warmer so the blood that reaches the feet is warmer.

Here's what I do (and I've ridden comfortably in below zero temps.):

Socks: I only wear thin, wicking cycling socks such as from Sock Guy or DeFeet. One pair, that's it.

Shoes: My shoes are the "casual" Shimano SPDs-suede uppers with a rubber sole, lace up with a single velcro strap. My toes don't touch the end of the shoes, and there's good wiggle room all around. It would be worth considering a second pair of larger shoes for winter riding that will accommodate a second pair of socks without squeezing things.

Legs: Below 20 degrees I wear a second pair of tights. I add gaiters to the lower legs. Both keep the blood warmer as it travels south.

pdxmech13
11-05-2006, 07:56 PM
A doctor responded in velonews one time on this subject and
had mentioned to many cyclist tighten shoes too much in the
winter when the need circulation and room to wiggle.

Ginger
11-05-2006, 08:51 PM
If you do a search on the forum, and the old forum, you'll find threads addressing this with many similar solutions.

For winter riding I purchased a pair of cheap Shimano winter boots. These look like construction boots. I placed my cleats, then I pulled out the footbed and caulked the cleat opening, replaced the footbed and stood around in them a bit to flatten the caulk out while it was curing. I run one pair of wool socks and I put a chemical warmer over the top of my toes between the sock and the shoe. I also generally run flat bmx pedals in winter if there's a chance of anything icing up 'cause trying to engage an iced up cleat is something you only want to do once.

Not that you asked, but I also run a road camel back filled with warm water under my jacket, foam insulation on a shorter tube helps keep that thawed as well.

Zman
11-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Try using two chemical warmers taped to your kidneys (I stick them to my first layer of clothing). I found after several after several long cold rides my hands and feet are warmer. Remember to wear your winter gloves w/ liners, wool socks and booties.

Elefantino
11-06-2006, 04:14 AM
For short rides, I use newspaper bags. Helps if they're not too thick, which most aren't these days because the thick ones are too expensive. Pull them over your socks.

Full disclosure:

a) I am a newspaperman
b) I am cheap

Fat Robert
11-06-2006, 09:42 AM
find two woodchucks

kill them

make an incision along the belly, long enough for your cycling shoes

make a second incision along the spine, large enough for your cleats

insert feet and shoes into the warm belly of the freshly-killed 'chuck

ride around

repeat as the body heat of the woodchuck eventually dissipates

(ref: how Luke Skywalker survived a cold night on Hoth)

Tom
11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I didn't see the movie but I'd wager Skywalker wasn't concerned with speed. Think about it. Have you ever seen a woodchuck moving faster upside down than right side up? They're designed to go fastest feet side down. Besides, it's easier to cut the cleat hole when you're not working around bones and stuff. Also, make sure you put the head side forward because their noses are remarkably aerodynamic. As a matter of fact, I plan on marketing a line of TT helmets that are shaped like woodchucks. My lawyer will be calling you for brand infringement. I may never have to actually do any work and put the things out there after I claim all of your fabulous wealth.

Perfect.

William
11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.hurstwic.org/members/pix/warm_feet.jpg

dekindy
11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Use the link in Mackka's discussion starter to read her hints. Then scroll down the page and read Hezz's reply. Hope this helps.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=242591

Louis
11-06-2006, 10:00 PM
single digit, 5+ hours rides

Wow. You are a mad man - that's all I can say.

itsalldark
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I found a pair of socks at my LBS, Alberto's. They are from a company called Sealskinzz. They have a waterproof breathable membrain sandwhiched between two thin coolmax layers. They are fantastic!!!!!!!!

chuck
11-08-2006, 08:24 PM
In cold weather, the hands start out cold and the feet start out warm. Then they reverse and they reverse pretty quickly. I use sandals year round for commutes and rides shorter than 50 miles or so. The straps can accommodate the think ankle summer socks as well as the layers. For layers:

50+ degrees = 1 pair wool ankle socks

20 - 50 degrees = 2 layers = calf wool socks under a Gore-tex and Thinsulate sock from cabellas: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat601709&id=0005228810874a&navCount=1&podId=0005228810874&parentId=cat601709&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601709&hasJS=true

Below 20 degrees = 3 layers = add another heavier wool sock over the Cabellas - good down to about 5 degrees

Comfort guaranteed.
Chuck