PDA

View Full Version : OT-testing OT-ed-ness...new Record? Arborists

oldpotatoe
09-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Any arborists here? Please email as I’d like to send a pic of my tree...

Cp51errc@gmail.comm

Thanks...’testing OT-ed-ness one subject at a time’

fiamme red
09-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Since you're already OT, why not just post a pic in this thread? :)

oldpotatoe
09-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Since you're already OT, why not just post a pic in this thread? :)

I will later, not at home, nannying..:)
Pine tree, some needles always turn brown, loose some(not all of them)...seems more and earlier this year(very dry year)...inside out .

fiamme red
09-12-2018, 12:01 PM
I will later, not at home, nannying..:)
Pine tree, some needles always turn brown, loose some(not all of them)...seems more and earlier this year(very dry year)...inside out .When I rode in Colorado and Wyoming in the summer of 2012, it was depressing to see how many pine trees were dead or dying due to the mountain pine beetle epidemic.

oldpotatoe
09-12-2018, 12:16 PM
When I rode in Colorado and Wyoming in the summer of 2012, it was depressing to see how many pine trees were dead or dying due to the mountain pine beetle epidemic.

I asked an arborist 3-4 years ago...he asked, ‘inside out or outside in’
Inside out not Beetle kill.

zmudshark
09-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Aleppo Pine blight? Killing trees in PHX area.

What kind of Pine?

oldpotatoe
09-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Aleppo Pine blight? Killing trees in PHX area.

What kind of Pine?

Unknown..I’ll send a pic later.

oldpotatoe
09-13-2018, 07:13 AM
pic..I'll try for a better one once the sun comes up..

oldpotatoe
09-13-2018, 09:45 AM
a better one

MattTuck
09-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Not an arborist here, but it appears the tree has already fallen over.

:banana::banana: :help:

pbarry
09-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Not an arborist, but looks a little dry to me. I think thats a Scotch pine, and they seem to show effects of dry conditions here sooner than other pine species. I've brought a few back that had some yellow/brown areas with deeper watering. Used a Scotts or Jobes fertilizer probe. With the water already running at medium flow, insert about a foot to 16 inches deep. Leave on for 10 minutes, then do the same in 5 or 6 spots in a 3-4 ft radius around the tree. You could deep water now, and maybe again in October, and it should be set for the winter.

Edit: Cant find an image of the Jobes product, but pictured below gives you an idea. McGuckin should have something similar.

zmudshark
09-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Looks a lot like the Afghan pines we have in Phx. Something is killing them all of. When they are cut down, there is a blue fungus in the wood. You may lose it. If it is an Afghan pine, they dont like water. Bayer makes a product that you can use the mentioned Jobes fertilizer gizmo to treat, but you are likely just delaying the inevitable.

We have lost 6-8 pines in our small community in Phx, figure they will all go before long. No one really knows the cause, but they don’t recover.

Good luck

Edit: the product is the Ross Root Feeder, not Jobes

djdj
09-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Not an arborist here, but it appears the tree has already fallen over.

:banana::banana: :help:

Excellent.

djdj
09-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Any arborists here? Please email as I’d like to send a pic of my tree...

Cp51errc@gmail.comm

Thanks...’testing OT-ed-ness one subject at a time’

Look for neighboring trees whose roots may be strangling the base of the pine. Bartlett Pear, for example.

Jaybee
09-13-2018, 08:13 PM
I was going to guess Austrian Pine, but I think pbarry is on the right track with both the scotch pine guess and getting some water to the deeper root area. We are exceptionally low on moisture here in the Front Range.

A lot of trees like yours in the forest are why fires take off.

Vientomas
09-13-2018, 11:37 PM
Lack of water. Dry summer? Perhaps more than one dry summer in a row?

oldpotatoe
09-14-2018, 07:00 AM
a better one

tee-hee..not sure why they come out sideways..thanks to all..yup, I think it's the tree's way of protecting itself after a VERY dry and warm, summer. I'll go to McGucks for one of those deep watering things..

sokyroadie
09-14-2018, 07:58 AM
tee-hee..not sure why they come out sideways.

To insure the correct rotation with an iPhone the button must be to the right when you take the picture. If you hold it with the button at the bottom they are sideways.

OtayBW
09-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Old P: I would first ensure that you have identified the correct tree species to get an idea of the best fix moving forward. It may be drought-related, maybe not.
Contact the local ag extension service, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or some other resource for assistance.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Old P: I would first ensure that you have identified the correct tree species to get an idea of the best fix moving forward. It may be drought-related, maybe not.
Contact the local ag extension service, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or some other resource for assistance.

Thanks..I see other same type trees doing the same thing, just 'seems' more extensive on my tree..I'd hate to lose it..pretty and big $ to remove.