PDA

View Full Version : article: your real responsibility as a cyclist

Gummee
09-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Link (https://www.outsideonline.com/2342361/your-real-responsilities-cyclist)

Thoughts?

M

HenryA
09-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Well yeahaaa.....

unterhausen
09-11-2018, 03:07 PM
way too involved. I pretty much limit myself to worrying about not hitting anything, that's more than a lot of motorists can manage.

And "wear normal clothes?" can we give up on this insecure nonsense?

redir
09-11-2018, 03:34 PM
I think he makes good points but I could do without the Jobst Brandt retro-grouch styling myself. ;)

earlfoss
09-11-2018, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'm not joining an organization or becoming a cycling activist just because I like riding my bike. Pretty sure that stuff would serve to kill what love I have for the sport. Kudos to people who want to, though. It's irritating how many of these articles are out there instructing the reader to do this or that. How about you just ride for your own reasons, on your own terms. Only downside is the websites don't generate as many clicks with that approach.

stev0
09-11-2018, 04:38 PM
The author's *us v. them* posture makes me super uncomfortable.

"us" cyclists who are tempted to laugh and shout at stranded cyclists because they are wearing expensive clothes :confused:
"us" cyclists who are not normal people and should try to make cycling look like an activity that all normal people might want to do :rolleyes:
"us" oppressed cyclists who wear lycra and hi-viz even though we dont want to? :help:

"them" cyclists in department store bikes picking up cans, who are definitely not "us" for some reason :no:
"them" cycling advocates who are born to advocate for cyclist safety and apparently doomed to life as paupers :crap:
"them" people who assume that a single cyclist's behavior is representative of a super diverse community of department store bikes and mr. moneybags :bike:

I'm as frustrated as the next guy or gal about ****ty humans, inattentive drivers, poor cycling infrastructure, etc, etc .. but I don't think this kind of article is productive.

The same author writes (https://www.outsideonline.com/2338476/its-all-additude): "Make no mistake: Drivers are your enemy. But when your enemy is legion, has seized control of the infrastructure, and has law enforcement on its side, is it really wise to attack them? Of course not. Instead, find inspiration in the fact that you’re vastly more nimble and adaptable than they are. Use their plodding and lumbering to your advantage. They’re the dinosaurs, destined for extinction, while you’re the small and nimble mammal flourishing right under their moribund noses."