PDA

View Full Version : Help pricing the parts of a mtb

Jimbo
09-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Sold.

Hello All:
I hope this is an acceptable post. I am trying to sell a mountain bike locally, as well as here and on pinkbike. Its a 26" bike and I have gotten zero interest except from spammers. Its disc brake and so I'm pretty sure most of the parts could work with 29ers and therefore have some resale value. I just have no idea what they might be worth used. I've looked at ebay and prices are all over the map.
So I would like to ask for help pricing the parts. I don't want this to be a public discussion so I'm just hoping for help via PM or email. I am not trying to start an auction.
If you are knowledgeable about mtb parts and wouldn't mind helping I would really appreciate hearing from you.
The local link with a list of parts and lots of pics is here (https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53283174). Most parts are near new as it was just updated by the seller when I bought it.
Moderators: If this is inappropriate please delete.
Thanks,
Jim

eBAUMANN
09-10-2018, 06:47 PM
your price is fine...there is just little/no market for 26" bikes these days...now if the rear triangle could fit a 650B tire...you might be in business...or you could try sticking 700x42 in there and list it as a gravel bike ;)

vqdriver
09-10-2018, 06:54 PM
pm'd

oogens
09-10-2018, 07:33 PM
I'd say it's a fair price, but it might be hard to part out as 9 speed, triples, narrow 25.4 handlebars, Hayes brakes, and qr 26" wheels aren't in high demand. While solid parts, they just don't sell for much on their own.

I'd also give it a good cleaning, it looks kinda flea market in the pics what with all the garage dust.

vqdriver
09-10-2018, 08:17 PM
I'd say it's a fair price, but it might be hard to part out as 9 speed, triples, narrow 25.4 handlebars, Hayes brakes, and qr 26" wheels aren't in high demand. While solid parts, they just don't sell for much on their own.

I'd also give it a good cleaning, it looks kinda flea market in the pics what with all the garage dust.

i'd say parting out was/is my only option for similar parts. from what i was getting on my local craigs, people who are even looking at 26" 3x9 parts are doing so because they also have a bike like that and want to replace something. i would think it rare that anyone is in the market for what i (and the OP) have as a bike.

from the other side of the equation, if i could have found a nice -but old- qr wheelset for a deal a few years ago i would have been interested. by that time, anything worth owning had already made the jump to ta. everything else new was junk.

HenryA
09-11-2018, 07:33 AM
I’d just clean and polish and wait for a buyer who recognizes the value. Make it perfect in function and as polished up as you can. Might also want to tell about what size rider would be happy on this bike and suggest who should buy this.