PDA

View Full Version : Norco Search XR Steel- anyone have hands on experience?

Clancy
09-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Seriously looking at this as a framset for $899. Looks pretty sweet and at this price, good reviews.

Anyone riding one? Thoughts? If one was to spend a little more for a better tube set, what other options are out there?

Steel frame, carbon fork, 650B

alembical
09-10-2018, 02:37 PM
I am riding a 2019 Kona Rove ST. Steel, steel fork, disc brakes, thru axles, 650b, 5 water bottle mounts. I like it. I have it built up as a super commuter with full fenders, dynamo lights, front basket, low rider front racks, etc... Worth looking at. This is not a high end steel frame set though, although no complaints from me and I am not sure how noticeable the frame is with psi in the 30s on 650b 47s

Jaybee
09-10-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm guessing Norco underestimated how popular both the steel and carbon versions of the Search XR were going to be. My local dealer says spring before they would have a model available to test ride.

macaroon
09-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Would take something in carbon or alu as it'll likely be a fair bit lighter and performance will be better.

I've not ridden the Norco, but I've ridden a similar style of bike with a Reynolds 725 tubeset, and it was a bit of a dead lump. With fat tyres and low pressures, I'd choose a lighter, stiffer frame material.

d_douglas
09-10-2018, 03:55 PM
I have a friend who just built one up. I know he struggled with getting his hands on it as they are apparently very popular.

His was a M or so and I didn't get a chance to ride it (I ride a 58cm) but I got to check it out and it is indeed a very well thought out bike. I would approve of one of these for sure :)

I think he might 'lurk' on here, but otherwise, if there are specific questions, I can ask him. He is a bike nerd sans parallel! He has bike industry connections and turns over some amazing bikes. This is what he chose to buy, so I take that as confirmation that this is a very nice bike.

Clancy
09-10-2018, 07:19 PM
Cyclingtips, which I believe does solid, detailed reviews, did a lengthy comparison between the steel and carbon models. The take away is the carbon, although lighter and more responsive the difference was negligible given that most of the compliance comes from the tires, similar to what alembical posted about his Kona. Given the price difference, the steel was given the nod.

Was not aware of the popularity.

Seems as though that’s my next step - checking availability.

With a bike packed down a 1.5 lb savings on a carbon frame doesn’t make a lot of sense. My goal is to explore across British Columbia next summer and the idea of doing an end over and snapping a Seat stay doesn’t appeal to me.

There are some aluminum options out there but they’re, how do I say this, made out of aluminum.

Any other options out there? With the bikepacking/gravel bike segment growth, seems like new models are coming out every other day. I just stumbled across the Search XR steel.

GonaSovereign
09-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Norcos in general are really nice bikes. The Search appears to have been a bit too good a bike (for the price), and they couldn't keep up with very high demand.

I know a couple of people with tight connections with the brand, and they're waiting on next year's model.

If you find one, buy it.

SPOKE
09-11-2018, 09:40 AM
I have the 2018 Search XR Carbon bike with the Ultegra drive train. It is a seriously nice bike! I’m very happy with the purchase. I have s couple friends that purchased the steel frames and they seem to be happy with their purchases.
I was very extremely impressed with the build quality of my frame. The only complaint I have is when you purchase the complete bike in the box the fork steerer tube is pre-cut. I really wanted an extra centimeter to play with but so far it hasn’t been an issue since I don’t spend more than an hour on it at a time. The stock wheels with the 40mm side tires ride very well on the light gravel trails and greenways here in the Raleigh NC area. They are just a bit heavy to accelerate but I expected as much. I did purchase a pair of Boyd Altamont Lite wheels that I put some 28mm Continental Gator Skins on and reall like the way they work on the road and paved greenway stretches. Basically this was a great compromise from my regular roadie stuff that is pretty light (Campy Bora’s or Hyperon).
For the money you’d be hard pressed to get a better built and spec’ed bike out of a box.

BikeNY
09-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Any other options out there? With the bikepacking/gravel bike segment growth, seems like new models are coming out every other day. I just stumbled across the Search XR steel.

There are LOTS of bikes in this adventure/gravel category right now. Some that I can think of off hand:

Kona Rove/Libre/Sutra

Jamis Renagade

Chumba Terlingua

Breezer Radar

Niner RLT

Jaybee
09-11-2018, 11:05 AM
There are plenty options in the general gravel category. The Search XR Steel is one of the few ways you are going to get into a bike "optimized" for 2.0+ 27.5 rubber for under 2500 though (If you are cool with Aluminum and a lower-end group, Salsa Journeyman, NS Rag+, also, lots of Vaya conversions out there). Other than that, you are paying for an Open UP clone.

alembical
09-11-2018, 11:50 AM
The new Masi Randonneur Elite is also worth a look. The make a Giramondo model as well.

boomforeal
09-11-2018, 11:59 AM
i have a couple of friends who recently got their hands on 2019 framesets. the 2018s sold out in a minute; the new ones can be had but they're selling out quickly (again). norco seems to have re-underestimated how popular these would be

anyway, both riders are coming off high-zoot carbon allroad bikes with less clearance, and both absolutely love their new bikes/frames. laterally stiff, comfortable, super stable, lots of fun (they keep telling me)

checked them out last year and the frames are quite nice, though i think it's made with the same tubeset as my mtb, so i think durability and stiffness were prioritized over compliance. if they had threaded bb's i would have grabbed a 2019. the matt green paint is very understated but looks great, imo

macaroon
09-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Well yes, if you're loading the thing up, then worrying about weight savings in the frameset is pointless.

These look nice and I think you can customize the colour. Internal routed brake guide as well. https://www.veloheld.de/bikesnframes/adventure/cat-veloheld-iconx

Not out yet, but they look well thought out. https://fairlightcycles.com/product/secan-deposit/?v=79cba1185463

Another option http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/escapade

The other advantage with carbon or alu is the internal cable routing which is makes loads of sense if you're riding through dirt often.

BikeNY
09-11-2018, 01:54 PM
The other advantage with carbon or alu is the internal cable routing which is makes loads of sense if you're riding through dirt often.

See, I think the opposite. Internal routing makes cleaning and replacing cable and housings a PITA. I like they way some bikes look with internal routing, but I'll never buy one!

owly
09-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Not out yet, but they look well thought out. https://fairlightcycles.com/product/secan-deposit/?v=79cba1185463

That's a pretty nice frameset for the price.

Tyre clearance stands out: 700x48 or 650b x 2.4".