PDA

View Full Version : DT Swiss ratchet upgrade 36T/54T?

sfhbike
09-09-2018, 08:32 PM
I was going to just pull apart my hub, clean and relube. But then saw that they have these upgrade kits. Pretty sure mine is 18T. Is this something worth doing?

They seem pretty pricey for what it is. If you have one you want to let go of, PM me.

oogens
09-09-2018, 08:58 PM
I was going to just pull apart my hub, clean and relube. But then saw that they have these upgrade kits. Pretty sure mine is 18T. Is this something worth doing?

They seem pretty pricey for what it is. If you have one you want to let go of, PM me.

I did one in the past on a mountain bike, since the 18t had some wiiiide gaps between engagement (esp in low gears). Made it a pain to ratchet your strokes over rocks and such.

If you're not geared super low, or not riding sections where pedal clearance is a concern, it's not really necessary imho.

Ronsonic
09-09-2018, 09:03 PM
De rigueur in the MTB world, especially for riding nasty, slow-going technical stuff where you have to ratchet the cranks to get around. If the take up on the freewheel is slow enough to bother you then sure, get an upgrade. Usually not a thing on the road. Still, I think the DT is an awfully fancy / pricey hub to have the same POE number as the least expensive Shimano.

sfhbike
09-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Ah yeah, forgot to mention this is on a road bike. Sounds unnecessary.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that you don't even need to take the cassette off and can pull the whole hub and cap more easily by pulling on the cassette. True?

CiclistiCliff
09-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Overkill on road bike. Yeah, just grab the cassette from the biggest cog and wiggle it off.

sfhbike
09-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Overkill on road bike. Yeah, just grab the cassette from the biggest cog and wiggle it off.

Awesome. Thanks. Wish I'd looked into this a while back as I thought I needed a Campy cassette removal tool.

oldpotatoe
09-10-2018, 07:15 AM
Awesome. Thanks. Wish I'd looked into this a while back as I thought I needed a Campy cassette removal tool.

Well, eventually yer gonna have to take the cogset off..but yes, you can pull the FHB/end cap/cogset off as an assembly...

sfhbike
09-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Well, eventually yer gonna have to take the cogset off..

Oh? Why is that? For reassembly?

oldpotatoe
09-10-2018, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;2423913]Well, eventually yer gonna have to take the cogset off../QUOTE]

When it wears out, to change ratio? Cogsets are consumables..:)

BikeNY
09-10-2018, 08:34 AM

Probably for when it wears out and you have to replace it!

And as others have said, ratchet upgrade great for MTB, not worth it for road.

ntkt10
09-10-2018, 09:10 AM
It will make the hub louder if that means anything to you.

donalrey
09-10-2018, 09:48 AM
For a road bike, I think it's worth upgrading to at least the 36T. I upgraded to the 54T mostly for the noise :confused: - definitely overkill but you can definitely notice the difference on the engagement. I'd say go for it.

I know for thru axle hubs you can pull the cassette right off along with the freehub body, not sure if this trick will work with quick release hubs. I could be wrong.

sfhbike
09-10-2018, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=sfhbike;2423955]

When it wears out, to change ratio? Cogsets are consumables..:)

Ah alright. I already have the removal tool on order. Just didn’t realize I could do this without it or I would have months ago.

YoKev
09-10-2018, 09:56 AM
I know for thru axle hubs you can pull the cassette right off along with the freehub body, not sure if this trick will work with quick release hubs. I could be wrong.

same trick for quick release hubs:)

delish
09-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Totally unnecessary on a road bike...unless you like to track stand at red-lights.