PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo CT crankset - can I use a 10 sp on an 11 sp system?

Road Fan
09-09-2018, 12:01 PM
I want to replace the triple on an 11 sp Athena triple group with a 50/34 that will play nice with the 11 speed Campy chain. I have a nice Campy PowerTorque carbon fiber compact crankset with 10 speed chainrings, 50/34. Except for having the correct BB stuff on the workbench, I'm ready to swap as long as the 10 crank has no issues with an 11 sp system.

What do I need to do or watch out for? Left-hand Ergo? narrower chainring spacing?

I think Old Potatoe gave some input on this a while ago, but Search is not assisting me in finding it again.

oldpotatoe
09-09-2018, 12:35 PM
I want to replace the triple on an 11 sp Athena triple group with a 50/34 that will play nice with the 11 speed Campy chain. I have a nice Campy PowerTorque carbon fiber compact crankset with 10 speed chainrings, 50/34. Except for having the correct BB stuff on the workbench, I'm ready to swap as long as the 10 crank has no issues with an 11 sp system.

What do I need to do or watch out for? Left-hand Ergo? narrower chainring spacing?

I think Old Potatoe gave some input on this a while ago, but Search is not assisting me in finding it again.

Adjust well, minimum acceptable clearance between fder cage and chain when in lowest gear(biggest cog, small ring) and it’ll have enough throw to not have run in highest gear..use a double front der also...

Road Fan
09-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Peter!

I assume I can keep the Athena triple left-hand Ergopower. I have the mechanism that clicks 5 times in the "bigger chainring" direction. Now it will only use the first three, and travel will be stopped by the limit screws on the front derailleur?

And, I presume I should put on a CT double front derailleur. Is it's cable pull factor critical? Can I use one from say, the 9 speed era?

oldpotatoe
09-10-2018, 07:25 AM
Thanks, Peter!

I assume I can keep the Athena triple left-hand Ergopower. I have the mechanism that clicks 5 times in the "bigger chainring" direction. Now it will only use the first three, and travel will be stopped by the limit screws on the front derailleur?

And, I presume I should put on a CT double front derailleur. Is it's cable pull factor critical? Can I use one from say, the 9 speed era?

Yes, if it shifts a triple, it'll shift a double..Use a modern Campag 11s double front der..The shifters are from the PowerShift era(2013), so you need a front der from any 11s 'era'...Not CT, 'compact' front ders went away about a decade or more ago..not really needed.

woolly
09-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Tagging on to this thread. . .

What about the other direction? Can I use a 11-speed 50/34 crank with an otherwise 10-speed Campy group?

Asking for a friend. . .

oldpotatoe
09-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Tagging on to this thread. . .

What about the other direction? Can I use a 11-speed 50/34 crank with an otherwise 10-speed Campy group?

Asking for a friend. . .

Yup, no issue, use a 10s chain.