PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset advice/ group set advice

Jmaxwel8
09-09-2018, 11:29 AM
I was able to buy a Serotta Classique TI frame from a Paceline member. Hopefully I will receive it in a week or so. I was wondering if I could get some advice on a wheelset for this bike.

I looked at some dura ace c24s? Any opinion on these. What is a reasonable price for a used set?

Any opinions on the dura ace 9000 groupset? What’s a reasonable price for this groupset?

This will be the first bike I build from the frame up so any help is appreciated.

pjbaz
09-09-2018, 11:42 AM
I looked at some dura ace c24s? Any opinion on these. What is a reasonable price for a used set?

Not the same but I have a set with the 7850 hubs (10 speed only! :mad: ) and they're wicked! I like climbing wheels but these are also stoopid fast on flats and hold their speed really well. I'm considering buying a set of the 9100s even though they're not "fat" and in -style with the cool kids nowadays.

They feel like they're just faster than anything else I've ridden.

dustyrider
09-09-2018, 11:59 AM
A good way to get a range on the prices is to use eBay and the completed sales filter. You can also search the classifieds here since many people leave a sale price in their sold threads. We tend to get extremely good deals on the paceline, so don’t think that’s market price. I’ve had great luck with wtb threads and you can always run the online deals by the forum before you buy. A lot of us keep an eye on all things bikes!

Clean39T
09-09-2018, 12:08 PM
I was able to buy a Serotta Classique TI frame from a Paceline member. Hopefully I will receive it in a week or so. I was wondering if I could get some advice on a wheelset for this bike.

Any opinions on the dura ace 9000 groupset? What’s a reasonable price for this groupset?

This will be the first bike I build from the frame up so any help is appreciated.As the seller, I know I'm technically biased, but you won't find a better wheelset than my DA/HED+ w CX-Rays in the Classifieds, and I could complete the package w an R8000 group for you..

The DA C24 are nice, but narrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wtex
09-09-2018, 12:09 PM
+1 they spin up really well, brake and handle well also.

Not the same but I have a set with the 7850 hubs (10 speed only! :mad: ) and they're wicked! I like climbing wheels but these are also stoopid fast on flats and hold their speed really well. I'm considering buying a set of the 9100s even though they're not "fat" and in -style with the cool kids nowadays.

They feel like they're just faster than anything else I've ridden.

yinzerniner
09-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Incredibly open ended question without any type of concrete budget attached. But clean39ts wheelset is indeed a pretty good start as long as you're ok with maintaining the hubs.

If you're looking for pricing go with the suggestion above on sold eBay items. "Reasonable price" is a relative term so better to set your budget and ask for suggestions to get absolute and definitive options.

But just an FYI if your frame is clearance limited (less than 25mm actual width/height) the c24s are a very good to great option. If you have clearance for up to 28mm actual width/height tires then there are much better options for the price.

Clean39T
09-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Incredibly open ended question without any type of concrete budget attached. But clean39ts wheelset is indeed a pretty good start as long as you're ok with maintaining the hubs.

If you're looking for pricing go with the suggestion above on sold eBay items. "Reasonable price" is a relative term so better to set your budget and ask for suggestions to get absolute and definitive options.

But just an FYI if your frame is clearance limited (less than 25mm actual width/height) the c24s are a very good to great option. If you have clearance for up to 28mm actual width/height tires then there are much better options for the price.Maintaining the hubs? They're Dura Ace - is an easier to maintain or more durable hub even made?

Fair point on the tire clearance though. I wouldn't run Belgium Plus rims w less than a 24-25mm tire, which spreads to more like 28mm.

yinzerniner
09-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Maintaining the hubs? They're Dura Ace - is an easier to maintain or more durable hub even made?

Fair point on the tire clearance though. I wouldn't run Belgium Plus rims w less than a 24-25mm tire, which spreads to more like 28mm.

Meant that they're cup and cone so maintenance and setup is different than simply just swapping out cartridge bearings. The design and build quality is great as long as they're maintained regularly with proper cleaning, regressing and preload, probably the most trouble free out there. But since there's an inherently higher risk of water and contamination ingress due to the hub design they must be maintained more regularly to assure faultless operation.

Davist
09-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Meant that they're cup and cone so maintenance and setup is different than simply just swapping out cartridge bearings. The design and build quality is great as long as they're maintained regularly with proper cleaning, regressing and preload, probably the most trouble free out there. But since there's an inherently higher risk of water and contamination ingress due to the hub design they must be maintained more regularly to assure faultless operation.

I wouldn't worry about this. Have you had a look at the service intervals for Zipps? every 300-500 miles (or almost weekly this time of year). I had DA C24s rode 5-6k/yr for 2 years in all types of weather, took them apart out of curiosity and they were pristine, new shot of Phil waterproof and they were as good as new...

Clean39T
09-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Meant that they're cup and cone so maintenance and setup is different than simply just swapping out cartridge bearings. The design and build quality is great as long as they're maintained regularly with proper cleaning, regressing and preload, probably the most trouble free out there. But since there's an inherently higher risk of water and contamination ingress due to the hub design they must be maintained more regularly to assure faultless operation.Fair enough. I'll take that any day over cartridge bearings, but ymmv.

Ken Robb
09-09-2018, 01:34 PM

This will be the first bike I build from the frame up so any help is appreciated.

Since the fork is sometimes the limiting factor for tire clearance tell us what fork you will have.

hollowgram5
09-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Meant that they're cup and cone so maintenance and setup is different than simply just swapping out cartridge bearings. The design and build quality is great as long as they're maintained regularly with proper cleaning, regressing and preload, probably the most trouble free out there. But since there's an inherently higher risk of water and contamination ingress due to the hub design they must be maintained more regularly to assure faultless operation.I might be crazy, but I am pretty sure C24s are cup and cone as well.. I could totally be wrong, never owned a set.

weisan
09-09-2018, 02:39 PM
what do you currently ride and what have you used in the past?

yinzerniner
09-09-2018, 04:00 PM
I might be crazy, but I am pretty sure C24s are cup and cone as well.. I could totally be wrong, never owned a set.

C24s are def cup and cone.

As often is the case, one system isn't necessarily inherently better than another, just each have their strengths and weaknesses both of which are either worsened by or mitigated by the quality of parts and design. The DA hubs are probably the best cup and cone hubs on the market, and vie for best overall hubs period, but they require maintenance that's different than the beat cartridge bearing hubs of which there are more options available.

If I was looking for a new set of hubs for rim wheels the DA hubs would high on the list since I'm comfortable servicing them and getting the preload right. For some others they might not be, thus the caveats.

But biggest factor for the OPs older CSI is checking clearances to get a worthwhile wheel reco.

hollowgram5
09-09-2018, 04:17 PM
C24s are def cup and cone.

As often is the case, one system isn't necessarily inherently better than another, just each have their strengths and weaknesses both of which are either worsened by or mitigated by the quality of parts and design. The DA hubs are probably the best cup and cone hubs on the market, and vie for best overall hubs period, but they require maintenance that's different than the beat cartridge bearing hubs of which there are more options available.

If I was looking for a new set of hubs for rim wheels the DA hubs would high on the list since I'm comfortable servicing them and getting the preload right. For some others they might not be, thus the caveats.

But biggest factor for the OPs older CSI is checking clearances to get a worthwhile wheel reco.Completely agreed! I've got a couple older frames myself that are limited on clearance. Goop luck to the OP, new bikes are (almost) always fun!

rnhood
09-09-2018, 07:00 PM
No better wheelset out there than the C24's, imho. You're wasting your time even looking.

Jmaxwel8
09-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Since the fork is sometimes the limiting factor for tire clearance tell us what fork you will have.

It’s an F1 fork so I think I will be pretty limited. I’m thinking 25mm is about as big as I can go

Jmaxwel8
09-09-2018, 07:16 PM
what do you currently ride and what have you used in the past?

I’m kind of all over the place on what I ride.

I switch up between a focus cayo evo and a kona wheelhouse. I like the focus but the steel kona is like riding a recliner.

For the trails I ride a stumpjumper.

The only other bike I own is a Peugeot Px10. It’s an early 70s... I’m guessing a 71 or 72. I don’t ride it a ton, just short rides

weisan
09-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Ok. Thanks for your response.

I want to say try a wider rim/fatter tire but ken pal is right, you may be limited by your fork. C24 has a good reputation.

Go for Ultegra and use the money saved to get a better set of wheels.

Hope you enjoy the new Serotta, I used to have a legend Ti.

AngryScientist
09-09-2018, 07:39 PM
welcome to the forum, and the world of Serotta. they all ride very nicely if they fit you right.

depends on your budget. the only reason to go to dura ace with the latest groups is to lose a few grams and have the prestige of the top end group. ultegra and even 105 these days perform flawlessly, have the same number of gears, and even the same key features of the dura ace flagship shimano group. if you are on a budget and not counting every gram, you'll never know the practical difference between the 2nd and 3rd tier groups. if you look around the gallery section here, you'll see many of our veteran members who previously only rode dura ace and record have adopted ultegra. it's pretty good!

c24's yes are great wheels and they come in both dura ace form and ultegra form. few grams and different hubs worth of difference, as far as i know.

Ken Robb
09-09-2018, 08:09 PM
It’s an F1 fork so I think I will be pretty limited. I’m thinking 25mm is about as big as I can go

That was my experience with my CSi/F1 combo that had 10 speed Chorus Gruppo. I suppose that a rider willing to have VERY little clearance between tire and the bottom of the fork might run 27-28mm tires but I experienced a fair bit of fork erosion from road junk when I rode on 25mm tires. Maybe it was just luck that a bigger piece of debris didn't jamb the whee lfrom turning at all?