PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody do the Pisgah gravel race on 9/8?

merlinmurph
09-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Just curious how it went. We're staying at Davidson R. campground and when I rode my bike to get coffee yesterday AM, a bunch of riders were getting ready for the race. 70 miles and 8800'.

Later on, I went for a ride and was climbing (slowly) while the back of the pack was descending on FR 475.

Let us know how it went.

BTW, nice riding around here.

Lovetoclimb
09-09-2018, 09:54 AM
I rode from my house into Pisgah to meet up with some friends at the finish. A couple who are well stronger than me were totally shattered after it. Then I rode back to Asheville with the guy who got 4th, and 30 miles later I too was totally shattered (while sitting in his draft most of those miles)!

I think this new course is a welcome change from the previous years, no more BRP, almost all gravel, some serious chunder sections in case you are more of a mtb rider vs cx bike.

I would highly recommend that event as part of a riding trip to the area. Well supported, good community around it, only fault i heard was the farthest aid station ran out of water late in the day...

merlinmurph
09-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Any idea what your friend's time was? I'm curious how fast those guys do it.

I can't imagine racing on those downhills. I saw one guy who missed a corner. Cops and ambulance were there, but he looked OK.

Jeffie
09-09-2018, 04:34 PM
I did the race. It was hard. Finished in ~5:30.

I do prefer this course to the previous years. I like that is has way less pavement.

I ran a 34x32 and could have used a 34 in the back for sure.

With a 3ish mile climb right at the beginning lots of people start WAY too hard. I sat at 220ish watts (I'm 135lbs) on most of the climbs saving myself for the last hour. Glad I did.