PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced bib shorts

Jimbo
09-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Hello All:
My collection of shorts is looking pretty sad and I need to buy a couple of pair. As I click through various online stores and amazon I'm surprised by the prices. I do see a few off brands on amazon with reasonable prices and good reviews but I'm curious to hear from Paceliners. Do you guys and gals have a recommendation for reasonably priced but high quality bib shorts?
Thanks,
Jim

Seramount
09-08-2018, 08:24 AM
always been satisfied with shorts and fleece bibs I've purchased from Aerotech Designs.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mensbikeshorts1.html

djg21
09-08-2018, 08:38 AM
The stuff is good quality and lasts.

https://www.voler.com/browse/cat3/?cat=mens,bottoms&ecat=z

makoti
09-08-2018, 08:53 AM
I think you're going to have to define "reasonable". In a world of $250 bibs, $180 is reasonable, but that is still a crap ton of money. What price range are you hoping for?

Gummee
09-08-2018, 08:56 AM
I think you're going to have to define "reasonable". In a world of $250 bibs, $180 is reasonable, but that is still a crap ton of money. What price range are you hoping for?

Screw reasonable! Life's too short to go cheap on cycling shorts. Assos, Q36.5, Ale, etc Ride the good stuff and your rear end will be happier so your ride will be better

M

jghall
09-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Jim,
Not sure what you call budget, but am a fan of Performance's upper end bibs. Periodically on sale at various times throughout the year.

In their mid-level line, Giordana typically makes quality products at a reasonable price.

Obviously hitting up places like CC for sale items too. Good luck in your search.

one60
09-08-2018, 09:04 AM
I have tried the top Performance bibs but recently became a fan of the Galibier classic shorts. Galibier is a small mail order only UK brand.

.RJ
09-08-2018, 09:11 AM
I've been happy with Twin Six 'standard' bibs. Comfortable, black, and reasonably priced and can be had on sale.

jtbadge
09-08-2018, 09:30 AM
I've been happy with Twin Six 'standard' bibs. Comfortable, black, and reasonably priced and can be had on sale.

+1. Have two sets, would buy again.

Lewis Moon
09-08-2018, 09:32 AM
I have been extremely happy with my DHB bibs. They run really small though.

Bentley
09-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Screw reasonable! Life's too short to go cheap on cycling shorts. Assos, Q36.5, Ale, etc Ride the good stuff and your rear end will be happier so your ride will be better

M

Agree totally, I personally own too many, but you can easily get by with 3 pair

kppolich
09-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Hello All:
My collection of shorts is looking pretty sad and I need to buy a couple of pair. As I click through various online stores and amazon I'm surprised by the prices. I do see a few off brands on amazon with reasonable prices and good reviews but I'm curious to hear from Paceliners. Do you guys and gals have a recommendation for reasonably priced but high quality bib shorts?
Thanks,
Jim

There has been discussion here before around these:
https://www.theblackbibs.com/

dbnm
09-08-2018, 10:05 AM
You get what you pay for. I think the best pad around is made by Cytech and is featured in lots of different bibs from lost of different companies.

Have a look a La Passione (https://www.lapassione.cc/) as well.

tv_vt
09-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Check out the Mavic Essential bibshort. Really nice lightweight shorts and really reasonable price. Recommended.

Voler shorts are good too, as others have said.

But nothing comes close to Rapha Classic or Brevet bibshorts in terms of ride comfort and fit, imo.

wtex
09-08-2018, 10:18 AM
I've been on a bit of a bib spree, trying to find something that's good for the money:

1. LaPassione regular bib - best of the bunch, $81 on sale now I think - great pad, compression, and light enough for Albuquerque sun. I suspect they'll have a holiday sale and am going to pick up another in black (their blue looks great!). I tried some Rapha Pro's last year, and from what I recall, the LaPassione's, while definitely a pro or race fit, had more give in the straps, and are equal or better in the cut and material. Pad is awesome, and likely equal or better than Rapha's (I didn't ride in the Rapha's)
2. DHB Aero - really light, good Cytech pad.
3. POC Contours - meh, paid way more for these than the other two. They are lightweight, pad's OK, but I have a feeling the lycra will give out way sooner than the others.

I'm also looking at the Rivelo bibs on SportPursuit, I've bought 3 of their jerseys and they are by far the best jerseys I've found (better than the Rapha Core and POC I bought). The LaPassione's are equal to the Rapha's (and both are fine jerseys), but with my longer torso, the fit and quality of the Rivelo's was unexpected given their great price.
Chad

CNY rider
09-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Jim,
Not sure what you call budget, but am a fan of Performance's upper end bibs. Periodically on sale at various times throughout the year.

In their mid-level line, Giordana typically makes quality products at a reasonable price.

Obviously hitting up places like CC for sale items too. Good luck in your search.

Performance and Giordana were the first two I thought of as well.
I would have added Sugoi but the last pair of knickers I got from them did not impress me.

Jimbo
09-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Great feedback!
I like the idea of shopping first the chamois! Wish there was a data base somewhere or that the various shorts mfg listed the chamois make/model.
Had not heard of several brands mentioned so thanks for mentioning AeroTech, Galibier, dhb, Twin Six, Black Bibs, La Passione.
Yeah, what is reasonable. I guess I was expecting to pay somewhere around $70 for really good quality. I may need to rethink that. The hard part about shopping these days is the hyperbole and a half naming conventions. Ultra vs Elite etc.
Anyone tried the Dinamik (https://www.amazon.com/Dinamik-Comfortable-Breathable-Compression-Cyclewear/dp/B0723629LT/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1536372837&sr=1-1&keywords=bib+bike+shorts&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_size_seven_bro wse-vebin%3A2571122011%2Cp_36%3A-8000&psc=1)off of amazon? Creepy eating disorder model but the reviews are stellar and only $53.

daker13
09-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Everyone's butt is different, but what I learned when I first started wearing bibs is that it was the $50-70 bib shorts that were a real waste of money.

Big Dan
09-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Pearl Izumi Attack bibs are pretty good and you can get them on sale for around $75-80 bucks.

heartattackride
09-08-2018, 01:47 PM
I also spent time in the $70-$90 zone but as I bought nicer (on sale) Rapha and Assos I have only 3 really “nice” bibs, I just clean and rotate more often. I spend less on jerseys that are on sale (T6, Pearl, Craft) to offset extra costs a bit.

RFC
09-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Jim,

I've worn many brands of shorts and bibs, and the best wearing ones have come from Performance. Watch for the sales.

Mustangski
09-08-2018, 04:44 PM
Absolutely love Voler bibs. I wear the Jet bibs and have never had a complaint or discomfort. They don’t have leg gripper strips, not sure if that matters to you, and I’ve never had an issue with them sliding or moving during a ride.

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110521

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zmudshark
09-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Voler, as said, and sales at places like Sierra Trading Post for last year's PI, Craft, and maybe others.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~bib-shorts/

bheight1
09-08-2018, 06:09 PM
As I’ve said before, awesome quality and value—two things not usually said together. It’s an internet company, google it.

sfo1
09-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Bang for buck, this is probably it. Bibs <$90.

You get what you pay for.

Have a look a La Passione (https://www.lapassione.cc/) as well.

Not budget, but the FR-C Pro Bib Short can be had for well under $150 and I believe retail is north of $250. (IMO) the best bibs I've had in a long time. Ideal compression & the pad is A+++.

Performance and Giordana were the first two I thought of as well.
I would have added Sugoi but the last pair of knickers I got from them did not impress me.

acorn_user
09-08-2018, 08:24 PM
I actually just bought a pair of LaPassione bibs because they use the Cytech Endurance pads that I like. I also love the Santini Edge shorts that Prendas Ciclismo stock and quite like the DHB Aeron and ProBikeKit Elite shorts.

Also - MucOff chamois cream.

Ronsonic
09-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I've been happy with $100ish Louis Garneau from Nashbar. My go to sources for decent lower priced kit have been LG and Pearl Izumi and been happy.

Red Tornado
09-08-2018, 09:49 PM
I've been happy with $100ish Louis Garneau from Nashbar. My go to sources for decent lower priced kit have been LG and Pearl Izumi and been happy.
The last 4 pairs of bibs I've bought have been LG. Got them on closeout both online & at the LBS. In the "$50-70" range all four pairs. Price was right & I've been very happy with the fit, quality & longevity so far. Almost exclusively a Nalini guy prior to the LG's. Bought on sale at the right time never paid more than $75 for bibs IIRC.

smokersteve
09-08-2018, 10:59 PM
I've been wearing Performance Ultra Bibs for 3 years. Sizing changed some and I started getting holes in the lycra real fast so I tried some others.
I've tried numerous of the high end bibs that cost up to $250. Didn't care for any of them - mostly because the sizing but also because of the quality.
Recently bought Baleaf from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FTWK4G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
Fit me great and man they are cheap

Johnny P
09-09-2018, 07:01 AM
always been satisfied with shorts and fleece bibs i've purchased from aerotech designs.

+1

weisan
09-09-2018, 07:25 AM
I guess I was expecting to pay somewhere around $70 for really good quality. I may need to rethink that.

Not necessary.
That myth is sometimes being debunked in my world. It's not always true.

Others have already brought up a couple of viable alternatives like the aerotech, voler, sierratrading, LaPassione for you to consider, do check them out.

always been satisfied with shorts and fleece bibs I've purchased from Aerotech Designs.

"You get what you pay for."
"Don't ride junk."

Those are mere generalization and over-simplification. There are some truth in them but they have to be taken in the right context.

GregL
09-09-2018, 07:40 AM
If you're a regular shopper at one of our sponsors, here's a great deal on Garneau bibs.

Greg

oldpotatoe
09-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Yeah, what is reasonable. I guess I was expecting to pay somewhere around $70 for really good quality. I may need to rethink that.

I think $70-$100 is a sweet spot for decent bibs..BUT, as 'some' have implied, don't go to the co-op and get used bibs:no:..life's too short to try to get rich saving money..the most important parts of your 'kit' are the things you touch when riding..butt, hands, feet...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pearl-Izumi-Mens-Escape-Quest-Cycling-Bib-Shorts-Black-Large/173415510955?epid=2110008911&hash=item28605eb3ab

Davist
09-09-2018, 08:11 AM
If you're a regular shopper at one of our sponsors, here's a great deal on Garneau bibs.

Greg

Thanks, bought some, only $5 more for us "regular" folks as well!

xeladragon
09-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Never heard of La Passione but I'm interested now. Do they ever have sales or should I just pony up and pay retail?

benb
09-10-2018, 09:06 AM
Probably everyone's backside is different so this is hard to tell.

I am fine ponying up the $200 for Assos.. they last forever and are comfortable for me out to 10+ hours. If I could only wish for one thing I'd with the color stayed pure black longer. The oldest pairs I have are 7 years old and they're not turning transparent or anything but they've really turned kind of gray. I've also crashed on several of them without them tearing which is impressive. I got road rash under the shorts without the shorts themselves ripping.

Maybe there's a $100 pair of shorts out there or less that will really work for me but I've been burned by pairs in the $100-150 range so it's a little hard to experiment.

$100 shorts that last 1/3 as long as the Assos and are uncomfortable the whole time are no bargain for me.

Worst offenders are some of the bike brands. I had a gift card to a Trek dealer and bought some Bontrager bibs.. they were originally $150, they might as well have sandpaper for a chamois and the fit sucks cause they can't decide whether they want their clothes to fit cyclists who are in shape or "normal american" people. (They probably don't fit either well.). Trying on Cannondale and Specialized branded clothes feels like the same thing.

I know other people have had better luck but I had horrible luck with Castelli.. they literally fell apart in less than 2 years.. to the point I was sewing the seams back together to try and keep them going. The spandex was fine but the the stitching was horrific.

pdonk
09-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Each year I get a few pairs of custom biemme bibs for a charity ride.

They are the short that changed my mind about bibs.

I am not 100% sure which ones I have (probably a mid priced one), but looking online they are as low priced as $90 USD.

unterhausen
09-10-2018, 10:29 AM
I got some low-end Endura bibs and they work really well for me. I like Voler too. I got some of the more expensive Volers, but they are see through out of the box. It doesn't help that the liner is white, black would have been nice. Relegated to trainer duty.

speedevil
09-10-2018, 10:36 AM
+1 on the Voler bibs and shorts. Good quality and fit. I like he thinner pads on the TT shorts, the thicker pads just aren't as comfortable for me. YMMV, as usual.

stev0
09-10-2018, 11:04 AM
fan of DHB's bibs (good value up and down their product line, but good stuff at $70-90). been meaning to try twin six. ($80ish on deep discount)

Have worn decent budget stuff from endura, nalini, and voler (usually the one just above their cheapest bought on sale for $40ish)

Worst budget bibs I tried were champ sys and pearl izumi (never again)

TiminVA
09-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Another vote for Voler. I'm a fan of blue bibs, but there aren't many around. The Voler caliber line has been my go to for the past few seasons. They've served me well for upwards of 7 hour rides. I have 5 or 6 pairs.