PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: XC Ski Gear Q&A for Newbies (like me)

echelon_john
09-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Hi all,
Winter is coming! I’ve looked through the other XC threads and haven’t found an answer so am trying here. I bought a setup a couple of years ago (Fisher Backcountry Crown waxless skis, Alpina boots, NNN BC bindings) and have enjoyed using them at a couple of local places (for the locals, Wild Wings and Viking).

I’m interested in adding a metal-edged ski for when it’s icy or I want to explore more (Catamount Trail). I’m 6’6”, advanced/expert downhill skier, and do *okay* technique-wise on the edgeless XC skis, but have found myself feeling much less in control on some downhills than I would like. I think an edge will help.

What would you recommend for a waxless, edged ski for a big dude? (plenty comfortable tuning & applying glide wax) it looked like the Madshus Glittertind was the right idea but they don’t make them anymore. Any experience with the Fischer E99 Crown?

Thanks in advance!
JC

gasman
09-06-2018, 06:12 PM
The Fischer E99 crown have been around forever. Great design and you can't kill them. I rented a pair years ago and really liked them.
I have a pair of old Fischer Super Crown waxless skis and I still love them. They are faster as the base contours wear.

I bought a pair of Fischer Backcountry Cruiser about a decade ago on sale. Wax less with metal edges but I've found I don't like them for the simple reason is the tip of the ski has very little bend upwards. The skis tend to dive into deeper snow which is tiring and frustrating.

CNY rider
09-06-2018, 07:01 PM
The Fischer E99 crown have been around forever. Great design and you can't kill them. I rented a pair years ago and really liked them.
I have a pair of old Fischer Super Crown waxless skis and I still love them. They are faster as the base contours wear.

I bought a pair of Fischer Backcountry Cruiser about a decade ago on sale. Wax less with metal edges but I've found I don't like them for the simple reason is the tip of the ski has very little bend upwards. The skis tend to dive into deeper snow which is tiring and frustrating.

Agree, I have a set of E99s in the basement that are at least 25 years old and often the first set I ski on each year since they are my rock skis.
For the OP go to your local Fischer dealer and they can hook you up.

sparky33
09-06-2018, 08:00 PM
The Fischer Silent Spider is my choice for exploring....shorter than E99s, which makes them easier in tight maneuvers in the woods.
I think these are now sold as the Spider 62 in their Offtrack Cruising line of nordic skis. Looks like they have a few widths in this concept line.

Marc40a
09-06-2018, 08:58 PM
I’m in a similar place gear-wise, John. I’ve looked at the models already mentioned as well as the Outback (a little wider than the Spiders I think) and also I believe Rossignol, makes a partial edge ski (‘Eon’ maybe?) I’ve been scouring Craigslist for a used pair of E99s or 89s for the past couple seasons with no luck.I did find some Silent Spiders for my wife but we have yet to take them out.

I’ll be interested to know which direction you go. I’ve biked a good portion of the Catamount and couldn’ t even imagine skiing some of those sections. I think you might have to get into skins for the climbs.