PDA

View Full Version : tour and century riders, rain question

jischr
09-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Saturday is the local charity ride where I traditionally ride the century on the first day, 75 or 100 miles on Sunday. This Saturday is 80% chance of storms all day with locally heavy rain (flood warnings), winds 6-12 mph, high temp of 72. Sunday is 80% morning and 60% afternoon.

My first thought is it bag it this year (make my spousal unit happy, she doesn't ride at all). My second thought is what to wear for riding 7 hours in the rain. I have a ShowersPass jacket and hood (heavy and little ventilation), a light rain jacket (more breathable but rain will soak through), or the standard kit and be soaked all day.

What is your experience with day long rides in the rain? Does anything work well at keeping somewhat dry?

Thanks,
John

72gmc
09-06-2018, 03:12 PM
I've gone for at least half a day in pouring rain many times, and at the temps you're quoting I am much more comfortable if I'm comfortably wet. For me this means good base layers, good socks, rain cap under the helmet (showers pass eVent for me), maybe a spare pair of gloves in a plastic bag to give my hands a treat at the halfway point. A vest, windproof or waterproof, in my jersey pocket in case the wind kicks up.

So much better than the excess heat and bother that comes with trying to stay dry.

redir
09-06-2018, 03:17 PM
A couple weeks ago I rode one of our local low key centuries in the same conditions. IT started to rain on the drive there and I thought about turning around. IT was miserable but it was kind of fun too. It rained the entire time. Fortunately it's a fast century so in 4.5 hours we were done. But anyway, you are going to get thoroughly soaked so there is no point in trying to defend against that.A rear fender would be nice for the guy behind you. At one point I was freezing too so make any stops real fast so you get back on the bike and warm up. A vest would have helped me a lot.

madsciencenow
09-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Suck it up and plan to get wet and if the rain doesn’t happen or stops you won’t feel overheated as you will in rain gear.

Once you get soaked I find it’s not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozz
09-06-2018, 03:37 PM
what is the temp supposed to be?

I figure you are either wet from rain or wet from perspiration, so the key is staying warm....

Layers and windproof are probably more useful than a heavy waterproof jacket

I did S-T-P a couple decades ago where it poured rain the whole time....I had leg-warmers, arm-warmers, and a Pearl Izumi Zephyrr jacket (windproof, slightly water resistant) and I was fine

brownhound
09-06-2018, 03:39 PM
canceled anyhow

Hindmost
09-06-2018, 03:51 PM
It is an opportunity to find out how well your shoes drain rainwater.

cderalow
09-06-2018, 03:54 PM
I've ridden a similar ride in Mass for the last three years.

The last two had rain at some point on day one. This year it rained for more than half of the ride for me.

I also will commute by bike during the summer in all weather.

For me, it's really on the temperature. Anything approaching 'cool' and it's about staying warm even with the effort.

If it's more than 75° out, it's really just wetness at that point. Maybe a dry set of gloves and change of socks for the lunch stop and soldier on. Vest in case the temps drop a bit or you have some long descents.

Ralph
09-06-2018, 04:03 PM
One can get mighty cold if wet and in 50's and 60's with high in low 70's.

FlashUNC
09-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Dress for warmth. A clip on set of rain fenders would do wonders, like Raceblades.

bikinchris
09-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Dress for warmth. A clip on set of rain fenders would do wonders, like Raceblades.

That would have been my advice. If it is chilly and rainy, a set of raceblades and a cycling rain poncho with a head cover to keep rain from your eyes and you are golden.

Hot weather? Your gonna be soaked anyway. So it doesn't matter. I just don't like rain in my eyes and certainly not road grit in my contact lenses. So a cap to keep the rain off the glasses.

jischr
09-06-2018, 07:31 PM
As Brownhound stated above, the ride has been cancelled by the national organization. I hope it rains buckets so they are justified. In past years rain has typically been slow and steady for a couple hours; or hard for 30 mintues and then the sun turns the day into a sauna. This is the first year of both days of potentially continuous rain. Sounds like most of us have the same experience, get wet from the rain outside or wet from the sweat inside. Maybe I'll look a some fenders to keep the back a little let wet. Thanks for the comments.

ColonelJLloyd
09-06-2018, 07:51 PM

benb
09-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Seems ridiculous that they canceled it for rain when the temp is that warm. We have that kind of weather all the time including much colder temps. Nothing quite like 40F and riding in the rain to make you appreciate good weather.

The biggest thing for comfort is the fenders.. you're going to be wet no matter what, but there is no requirement that you be wet and covered in sand/mud and other road debris.

fiamme red
09-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Full fenders, a good rain jacket with pit zips, and a cap with a bill to keep the rain off my glasses have got me through many summer rides with hours of pouring rain. If it's warm enough, I'm going to get wet anyway and I may dispense with the jacket.

When the temperature is down in the 40's, that's another matter. I've found that dishwashing gloves with wool liners underneath help keep my fingers from getting numb.

brownhound
09-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Seems ridiculous that they canceled it for rain when the temp is that warm.

I would've gone ahead and done a limited, supported course. But they didn't ask me.

The event (Bike MS) attracts a lot of novices who would've had issues with a full day of heavy rain. Also, these are remnants of a tropical storm, so they're talking multiple inches of rain that are likely to flood low spots. Again, novices and water over roadways is asking for trouble.

Saved me the trouble of mounting up fenders on Friday night, I suppose.

Bentley
09-07-2018, 10:27 AM
I guess I will go off on a different path. I tend to agree with the points about temperature being a bigger factor than getting wet, but I generally will not ride in the rain, especially in big group events where there are a huge diversity in the skill of the riders. I am just getting too old to take the risk of riding in the rain. Starting with distracted drivers, then the fact that visibility is compromised, add to that the unknowns regarding striping on the road, oil and then add to that a large group... way to many variables to deal with. I figure riding on the road is a risk even on a clear day, but I just hate stacking up the risk by adding the complications of bad weather.

Generally, I have raised all the money for the charity before I know about the bad weather so I rationalize not riding as I am saving myself for that clear day down the road.

Just a different perspective. I think the getting wet thing is a manageable situation but all the other stuff is impossible to manage.

brownhound
09-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Generally, I have raised all the money for the charity before I know about the bad weather so I rationalize not riding as I am saving myself for that clear day down the road.

Agreed.

And MS Society is taking the generous step of waiving fee/fundraising for any other ride this year in the US. I'm now exploring the options of riding somewhere I've never ridden. Can't feel too bad, myself.

CDollarsign
09-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Hey STL guys, paceline ride?

brownhound
09-07-2018, 10:54 AM
^^^
Sure.

However, my schedule is tricky. Weekend mornings and most weekday evenings are out (child care), which cuts me out of seemingly every group ride in town. My kingdom for a group or shop that does a Saturday 1 pm ride.

benb
09-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Makes sense for a charity ride I guess, I was not thinking of the charity crowd.

I tend to think of the charity crowd as inexperienced and in a hurry/trying to achieve an average speed goal.

The crowd I'm thinking of running these events in bad weather is a randonneur crowd, experienced and much more likely to chill out and slow down when conditions require it.

wallymann
09-07-2018, 04:26 PM
that much time in the rain, you'll be soaked regardless of what you're wearing.

What is your experience with day long rides in the rain? Does anything work well at keeping somewhat dry?