PDA

View Full Version : BB7 Mechanical Disc Brakes

cmbicycles
09-06-2018, 11:26 AM
I purchased a used Trek 4300 with disc brakes for my daughter, and probably want to replace the mechanical disc brakes as they just feel and look like junk after tweaking them briefly. I'm sure they will stop the bike but will be problematic for staying in adjustment. Are Avid BB7 still the go-to for mountain cable pull discs? Does anyone make mechanical calipers where both pads move instead of just one?

weisan
09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
TRP Spyre

jtbadge
09-06-2018, 11:31 AM
TRP Spyre

Spyre is road pull, OP is asking about mountain pull. Spyke is TRP's dual piston option for mountain pull.

cmbicycles
09-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I knew Spyre's were well received on the forum for road/cross. I'll look into the Spyke.

Are there others worth considering?

jtbadge
09-06-2018, 11:58 AM
If you're using flat/riser handlebars, just get Shimano hydros and never have to think about it again. Here are some for $35 a wheel - lever, hose, and caliper. A little more for Deore or SLX, still cheaper than Spyke calipers alone.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=67834

d_douglas
09-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Yes, Shimano Hydros can be had for cheap, but to be honest, I use BB7s on my commuter and theyre not bad. I have used them on an MTB and I didn't die (though I get eventually get Hydros).

Unless theyre trashed, I would say they just need a cleaning and maybe some new pads to get them working again?

YoKev
09-06-2018, 01:48 PM
BB7's paired with XT levers have been a good setup in my experience.

redir
09-06-2018, 02:01 PM
I used BB7's for a few years and they worked fine. Honestly I'm not sure I could tell a difference with the Shimano Hydro's I have now. The Hyro is nice though as you never have to fuss with it and they probably have better touch but in the end they both stop ya.

cmbicycles
09-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Unless theyre trashed, I would say they just need a cleaning and maybe some new pads to get them working again?

The brakes on there are actually brand new, I bought the bike from a Craigslist reseller that must have installed them. They are made by dengfu or some similar name I've never heard of and I'm not confident in them holding the adjustments I briefly made when I got it home in the repair stand, they feel and look cheap. I plan to strip the frame to start over anyway, it wasn't the most detailed setup, so IMO it demands a thorough going over so my daughter can enjoy biking on it without mechanical issues. I have always liked the bb7s, but hadn't considered hydro was at the same price point.

cderalow
09-06-2018, 02:16 PM
I've got BB7's on a Hybrid (overkill I know).

able to stop bike, my 190#, a burley cub trailer with 2 kids in it no problem.

good adjustment, clean pads & rotor are key.

David Tollefson
09-06-2018, 04:51 PM
BB7's work fine. Spyres work better. I've got Spyres on all my disc brake bikes currently, even with Cane Creek SS levers (in MTB pull). Just don't go the other way (MTB pull calipers with road pull levers).

tombtfslpk
09-06-2018, 09:39 PM
So these are not SRAM BB7 brakes? Correct?
I thought I'd ask before the SRAM haters get all wound up.
The brakes on there are actually brand new, I bought the bike from a Craigslist reseller that must have installed them. They are made by dengfu or some similar name I've never heard of and I'm not confident in them holding the adjustments I briefly made when I got it home in the repair stand, they feel and look cheap. I plan to strip the frame to start over anyway, it wasn't the most detailed setup, so IMO it demands a thorough going over so my daughter can enjoy biking on it without mechanical issues. I have always liked the bb7s, but hadn't considered hydro was at the same price point.
There are some really poorly engineered cable operated mechanical disc systems out there. I have used some of these before, with extremely unsatisfactory results. If this is what you have....I wouldn't let my wife or daughter ride them....ever.
If you're going to install BB7 brakes there are proper ways to set up and adjust them. You need to recognize that there are two BB7 caliper designs based on road or mountain levers. I suggest you not try mountain calipers with road levers, there is not enough cable pull compared to mountain levers.
Properly set up and adjusted, BB7 (SRAM) brakes are usually adequate. To me, the other "name brand" cable brakes stop equivalently but are more user friendly. I currently have bikes with TRP, Yokozuna/JuinTech, and SRAM BB7, they all stop well. I do enjoy the tool-less adjustment of the BB7.
One last thought......compressionless cable housing.

tombtfslpk
09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
If you are sticking with flat bars, I would go with hydro's.
Shop around and see what you can find in Shimano.....XT's are my best bang for the buck, but there might be something in Deore.

cmbicycles
09-06-2018, 09:59 PM
No, I don't currently have BB7 brakes on the bike, literally picked it up last night and spent 5 minutes fiddling when I got home and decided the brakes need to go. They are likely some cheap ebay special. BB7 were the go-to standard for me when I was working in shops for ease of setup/use. Yes, I do understand how to set up brakes properly, as well as differences in road/mtn cable pull. The full length brake housing was already on my list to replace as well.

My main question was just whether there was anything else worth checking out in a budget friendly price range. Seems not much new other than the spyke, but I'll see what I can find... when's the next ebay 20% off coupon due to hit? ;)
Once I have some time to thoroughly go over the bike I'll make up the shopping list.

tombtfslpk
09-06-2018, 10:21 PM
I had some of those knock off cable brakes on my first single speed MTB. I thought "It's a single speed, I don't need much brake".....WRONG. I like one finger on the brakes, I couldn't stop that thing with THREE fingers. It would slow down, a little, sometimes.:eek:

heartattackride
09-07-2018, 12:39 AM
FWIW when I switched my levers to Paul’s my BB7’s became a whole a whole lot better. I was using Jagwire cables.