PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on this carbon fork issue?

avalonracing
09-04-2018, 11:46 AM
SOLVED with Paceline help--- Here is my Reyolds Ouzo Pro fork on my Seven. It has fairly low miles (less than 10K I would think) and it has been ridden in fair weather (not on a salty commuter bike). These weird marks in the clear coat are raised. It doesn't seem to be road splatter but the actual clear-coated surface of the fork. The thing is, it wasn't there before. It has appeared sometime this season. Any thoughts. Any fork issues concern me as regularly go over 40mph and sprint with my friends and I don't want to become road splatter myself. I've sent an inquiry to Reynolds but got the "We'll get back to you within three days" auto-reply to which I expect to hear "Reynolds no longer makes forks so we cannot diagnose your product". So, has anyone seen this or know what it might be and do we think it's safe to continue using? (40mm rake, straight 1 1/8", carbon steerer, rim brake forks are getting harder to find).

mktng
09-04-2018, 11:49 AM
100% sure its under the clear ?
wouldnt think the clear coat was thick enough to bubble that way.

you sure its not really really sticky substance.. ?

had a friend who though his frame was cracked. similar issue. sort of. turns out it was super caked on stuff... who knows what.

weisan
09-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Sometimes there are road construction material adhered to my bikes after a ride. If I don't clean them up right away, they stayed stuck.

avalonracing
09-04-2018, 12:06 PM
I've tried very hot water and soap and it doesn't budge. It also cannot be scratched off with my fingernail (I'm not going to use anything tougher on carbon). It actually seems to "Be" the clearcoat. As if something either under or on it made it do this. The carbon under it doesn't look compromised but can't think of too many cycling mishaps that are more unfortunate that a fork leg snapping off.

prototoast
09-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Get out the sand paper, and gently sand until the disturbance goes away or you hit carbon. If it sands out in the clear, you're fine. If you make it to the carbon and it's still there, toss it.

cderalow
09-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Try acetone or rubbing alcohol v soap. Looks almost like pine tar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sitzmark
09-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Have you transported the bike on rear of a vehicle ... i.e. near exhaust heat?

CSTRider
09-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Paging Mike Lopez ...

93KgBike
09-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Is more melty, or gluey?

avalonracing
09-04-2018, 03:50 PM
91% Alchohol did the trick. I had hit that thing with the hottest soapy water I could stand wiped it and scratched at it for minutes on end and it seemed to be as hard as a diamond (the fork, people... grow up!).
But a little light rubbing with a Q-Tip dipped in some alcohol took it off in seconds. Thanks, everyone! :beer:

Mike Lopez
09-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Sure looks like sap or adhesive of some sort got thrown on there.

As others have mentioned, the CC isn't that thick and would probably be peeling off if it separated from the laminate.

The urethane coating is tough and I'd try cleaning it with some sort of solvent. Try acetone. That what we used to clean off the excessive adhesive when we bonded in the dropouts.