PDA

View Full Version : Buying things because it's a good deal...

Aaron O
09-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Among my (many) character flaws is that I'll buy things I don't need if they're cheap enough. Not everything, but bike stuff. It's a bad trait that's gotten me FAR too much crap, and I've been avoiding doing this of late.

Enter temptation...

I have a chance to buy a HEAVILY discounted Specialized Roubaix with the suspension fork. I already have a Diverge, and this bike just isn't that different. My rationalization is that I'll put a rack on the Diverge and make it a high speed commutery kind of bike and keep the roubaix more for road stuff...

So, what are the opinions on the fork? People like it? I rode it and it felt weird, but I've been advised that over time, I'll love it.

Am I being stupid? How stupid? I mean the Diverge and Roubaix just really don't seem very different!

weisan
09-04-2018, 09:49 AM
if it's not gonna cause any harm to your loved ones, don't sweat it, just get it...

Clean39T
09-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Seems gimmicky to me.

But I share your disease, and wish you well...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lanternrouge
09-04-2018, 10:04 AM
I agree with the prior sentiments. It doesn't need to truly be rational beyond that having another bike will bring you joy so long as you and your family aren't going without necessities or other things to allow the new bike into your family. For me, and I suspect many others here, bikes are our main "vices." Also, since you are getting a great deal, if you decide to part with it at some point down the road, you can do so without losing too much money and get someone else a great deal in the process. This isn't quite like the Patek Philipe line of just taking care of it for the next generation.

texbike
09-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Among my (many) character flaws is that I'll buy things I don't need if they're cheap enough. Not everything, but bike stuff. It's a bad trait that's gotten me FAR too much crap, and I've been avoiding doing this of late.

Enter temptation...

I have a chance to buy a HEAVILY discounted Specialized Roubaix with the suspension fork. I already have a Diverge, and this bike just isn't that different. My rationalization is that I'll put a rack on the Diverge and make it a high speed commutery kind of bike and keep the roubaix more for road stuff...

So, what are the opinions on the fork? People like it? I rode it and it felt weird, but I've been advised that over time, I'll love it.

Am I being stupid? How stupid? I mean the Diverge and Roubaix just really don't seem very different!

Meh, gimmicky stuff that fork.

It is VERY easy to be tempted to buy stuff because it's a good deal. However, that's how one ends up with a load of unneeded junk in the garage. ;)

Regardless of your choice, great to see you posting again.

Cheers,

Texbike

cachagua
09-04-2018, 12:03 PM
I struggled with this for a while but then I calmed down. I've begun to think of it as analogous to any (other) kind of artistic expression. Different people are into different media, but the process is the same: you get an inspiration of some cool way your preferred stuff could be configured, and then you configure some stuff to embody the inspiration you have. Configure some paint into a painting, configure some notes into a song, configure some bike parts into a bike... all the same.

Every bike in my basement is an expression of a cool idea I had of how a bike could be put together. Of course, "cool", here, denotes only cool to me; if I were trying to sell bikes this wouldn't be a useful way to think about it at all. (If Mike Sinyard operated this way, you'd be asking me "who's she?") This way I have total freedom of expression.

And since I'm paying attention only to creating them, this means I don't even have to ride the bikes. Which is a good thing, because faugh! Who's got time for that?

In that connection, I have wondered whether how many bikes I've got, and how much I ride, are in an inverse relation. But this is something it's better to be in denial about.

KonaSS
09-04-2018, 12:38 PM
I am pretty frugal, but when it comes to bikes, I have bought lots of things because they were a good deal, and have ended up with too much crap. The last couple of years I have tried to simplify my life and have purchased less bike stuff that I didn't really need. I have gotten better by asking myself a couple questions.....

1. "How am I going to use this the day I get it?" Meaning, I have bought things that are a good deal that then get put on the shelf because I will use it "some day" and it was a GOOD DEAL. It isn't a good deal if it just sits there.

2. "How is this going to change/enhance my cycling experience compared to what I am using/have today?" Are you going to be riding faster on the roads on the Roubaix? Are you going to commute more if you have a dedicated bike?

If I can answer these two questions legitimately, I don't feel bad about the purchase.

93KgBike
09-04-2018, 01:03 PM
If you'll enjoy staring at it, then yes. Otherwise, nah.

Aaron O
09-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Thanks gang...appreciate the advice!

BTW - for years I complained about the Diverge and disliked it...mechanic put a new front derailleur on it, a Shimano chain and played with the rear brake. Now it hums.

Llewellyn
09-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Try a 72 hour cooling off period and then decide if you really still/need want it. From personal experience I can tell you it's amazing how often you decide not to buy whatever it is you're lusting after.

wc1934
09-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Try a 72 hour cooling off period and then decide if you really still/need want it. From personal experience I can tell you it's amazing how often you decide not to buy whatever it is you're lusting after.
haha - good advice. I am on day three - about to purchase another watch - which I know I don't need, but.......

Llewellyn
09-04-2018, 05:38 PM
haha - good advice. I am on day three - about to purchase another watch - which I know I don't need, but.......

Hehe - I didn't say it would be easy. Good luck.

Mzilliox
09-04-2018, 05:48 PM
i just did, i blame HilltopperNy

parris
09-04-2018, 05:50 PM
So I'm not the only one! I have several good, no great bicycles but when a "good deal" shows it's like the devil/angel fight on my shoulders... 😉

Clean39T
09-04-2018, 07:39 PM
i just did, i blame HilltopperNyDo tell :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dave thompson
09-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Need? No. Want? Yes. All good deals, especially the last 40 or so frames.

doomridesout
09-04-2018, 10:57 PM
I'll play devil's advocate here: Don't buy it, and see what happens when you get distracted by the next thing. Did the desire persist? Did you forget it and suddenly you don't "need" it?

I've tried to be conscious about this buying because it's cheap impulse in the past few years and I've managed to whittle this hobby down to a much smaller footprint in my head (and bike room). I find that I only have so much room for bikes- thinking about the stuff, and riding them. When I have less stuff, that's more energy towards riding. Buying and owning stuff taxes the planet's resources, usually requires exploitative labor somewhere in the supply chain, and ultimately doesn't deliver the goods in terms of happiness. I love new gear as much as anyone who spends time kicking tires on this forum but the more mature side of me knows I can only ride one at a time.

mhespenheide
09-04-2018, 11:21 PM
I am easily distracted by new-to-me vintage steel bikes and frames, particularly if they can fit wider tires, and particularly since I started riding Eroica CA.

But I'm hoping that a refit and refinish of my first good bike -- a little chainstay dimpling and raising the brake bridge by a framebuilder willing to take on the job, and a repaint with better decals, will quiet those temptations. I keep trying to tell myself that I really don't need any more than one lugged steel road bike to go along with my carbon and Ti bikes.

Then I went and bought a Kona Honky-Tonk tig-welded steel frame via the classifieds, that'll fit 33's, because the price was too low to pass up... :help:

...and I'm still tempted by the idea of an RB-1.

:rolleyes:

rmk
09-05-2018, 12:01 AM
My 2 cents: waiting is worthwhile, and only buy if you love / lust after the bike. Other deals will come by, and if you don't have an attachment to the bike (after the deal is done), you'll want to shed bike(s).

The caveat being, of course, that if you have space / money for serial bike buying or don't need to sell to get the next one, go for it.

(I tend to buy for deals and now I am having trouble deciding what to move on from in order to get the next bike(s) in the door. Good problem to have -- I know -- but I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time on questions like should I sell bike X for bike Y.)

Ryan--

Jaybee
09-05-2018, 04:30 AM
I'll play devil's advocate here: Don't buy it, and see what happens when you get distracted by the next thing. Did the desire persist? Did you forget it and suddenly you don't "need" it?

I've tried to be conscious about this buying because it's cheap impulse in the past few years and I've managed to whittle this hobby down to a much smaller footprint in my head (and bike room). I find that I only have so much room for bikes- thinking about the stuff, and riding them. When I have less stuff, that's more energy towards riding. Buying and owning stuff taxes the planet's resources, usually requires exploitative labor somewhere in the supply chain, and ultimately doesn't deliver the goods in terms of happiness. I love new gear as much as anyone who spends time kicking tires on this forum but the more mature side of me knows I can only ride one at a time.

This is a good and thoughtful opinion.

YoKev
09-05-2018, 04:45 AM
It may be a good deal, but is it a good deal for you?

PacNW2Ford
09-05-2018, 09:08 PM
I always try to imagine what I would spend all of the money I save on...

noysboy
09-06-2018, 06:50 AM
I know lots of people that spend big $ on golf. I hate golf. I'd rather have more bike stuff.

BikeNY
09-06-2018, 07:37 AM
I'm pretty sure this is a common affliction here! I keep telling myself that this bike will be the last one I need for a long time, and then something else comes along. I have gotten to the point where I won't buy another bike unless I have sold or will sell one that I already have. That is made easier by downsizing our house a couple of years ago, so less space for stuff, and also a spouse that just doesn't understand!

My current problem is that now I keep re-imagining the bikes I already have. What if I change the drivetrain on my allroad bike to Etap? Di2? 1x12? That reminds me, I need to get a set of 700c wheels to go along with the 650b set that's on there now. I have 3 sets of wheels for my main mountain bike(27+, 29, & 27 fat), but I have this lovely DT singlespeed hub in the drawer, I should have it built up to a nice rim, but should it be 27.5 or 29? That reminds me, I need to work on that custom fork for the allroad bike with lots of mounts...

What I've been doing is I keep a list of stuff in my head of stuff I may want, and every once in a while look through the classifieds, Ebay, sales, and a couple of other places. If a really good deal pops up I try to give myself a day or 2 to think about it. But sometimes you have to jump on those deals ASAP!

colker
09-06-2018, 07:49 AM
It´s called consummerism. It´s not a good thing.

Aaron O
09-06-2018, 08:52 AM
So far I have resisted the urge...

It is awfully tempting.

Last night I took out a Vanilla I bought on here a long while back, and that ride is just amazing. I really don't need a Roubaix (yet I want it because it's DIFFERENT!).

MaraudingWalrus
09-06-2018, 08:55 AM
I have a garage full of wheels and wheel parts as a result of picking up things that were great deals, be that here or from random people I know "irl." And then once you're known as a "wheel guy" people I know also just give me things that I then have a hard time getting rid of because it's perfectly good, despite the fact that my road bikes are all either fixed gear or 12x142 through axle & 11speed I just can't seem to justify getting rid of that 10sp dura ace hub or wheel...

Aaron O
09-06-2018, 08:59 AM
I have a garage full of wheels and wheel parts as a result of picking up things that were great deals, be that here or from random people I know "irl." And then once you're known as a "wheel guy" people I know also just give me things that I then have a hard time getting rid of because it's perfectly good, despite the fact that my road bikes are all either fixed gear or 12x142 through axle & 11speed I just can't seem to justify getting rid of that 10sp dura ace hub or wheel...

Preacher, meet choir ;)

mt2u77
09-06-2018, 09:39 AM

Out of my head, witch! :)

Now, Walrus, about those DA 10 spd hubs . . . I might know of a good home for those.

Hilltopperny
09-06-2018, 10:39 AM
I clearly suffer from this affliction as well. I literally bought two bikes within two days just this week. Both were on my radar and were almost purchased last year, but I went a different route. One was at the lbs (a Cannondale Slate)and when I made an offer it was accepted. The other was a PSA here on a no 22 Great Divide and it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

I was torn between the Drifter which I purchased new and a Great Divide for a year before Scott advised the Drifter for the majority of riding I do. When the chance popped up for the other I had to have it.

Now the Zanconato I picked up only a month or so ago is on its way to Matt and I have a few others listed.

KidWok
09-06-2018, 12:15 PM
That's the tail wagging the dog. Buy stuff that you need and are well designed for your needs. Don't buy something just because it's a good deal and then try to find a use for it...in this case, it sounds like you already have most of your needs met by another bike.

Says the person who used to suffer from this as well. I still buy things because it's a good deal and project the need for it, like tires. When Ibex closed, I bought $300 of stuff I didn't need right away, but would need down the road once existing items wore out. It used to be framesets, groupsets, whole bikes, etc. Went on a purge a few years ago and that felt good.

Or maybe you just need to buy the damn thing and figure this out yourself! :banana::banana::banana:

Tai

joosttx
09-06-2018, 12:25 PM
My philosophy is I have lists of:

1) want stuff
2) stockpile stuff

I have money set aside which diminished and building up. When the opportunity presents itself (good deal) I capitalize on regardless if I need it now. The issue with good deals is that they dont always correspond with the exact time you need or want something. By having a list and money already set aside you kinda remove the timing factor of the decision.

alancw3
09-06-2018, 01:14 PM

great advice! along those same lines my grandfather use to tell me "nothing is a buy at any price if you really don't need it or it is not exactly what you want".

as i have gotten older (i'll be 71 in a couple of months), unfortunately, i find myself not adhering to this advice as much.

Aaron O
09-06-2018, 01:33 PM
I searched my heart, and I do not NEED, and can't rationalize this purchase. At least this week.

Nooch
09-06-2018, 02:01 PM
I clearly suffer from this affliction as well. I literally bought two bikes within two days just this week. Both were on my radar and were almost purchased last year, but I went a different route. One was at the lbs (a Cannondale Slate)and when I made an offer it was accepted. The other was a PSA here on a no 22 Great Divide and it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

I was torn between the Drifter which I purchased new and a Great Divide for a year before Scott advised the Drifter for the majority of riding I do. When the chance popped up for the other I had to have it.

Now the Zanconato I picked up only a month or so ago is on its way to Matt and I have a few others listed.

It's all fun and games until paypal calls you out like Clean39T :)

Aaron O
09-06-2018, 02:03 PM
That's the tail wagging the dog. Buy stuff that you need and are well designed for your needs. Don't buy something just because it's a good deal and then try to find a use for it...in this case, it sounds like you already have most of your needs met by another bike.

Says the person who used to suffer from this as well. I still buy things because it's a good deal and project the need for it, like tires. When Ibex closed, I bought $300 of stuff I didn't need right away, but would need down the road once existing items wore out. It used to be framesets, groupsets, whole bikes, etc. Went on a purge a few years ago and that felt good.

Or maybe you just need to buy the damn thing and figure this out yourself! :banana::banana::banana:

Tai
Great post - lol

Clean39T
If all of us waited to buy things until we actually needed them, the wheels of Paceline commerce would grind to a halt..

Part of the fun of bikes is the trying of new things. In order to try new things, you have to buy new things, and in order to have the money/space for new things, you must sell old things. Those old things become others' new things.

Circle of life.

Or maybe the stock/flow diagram of life, there are those who live at the inflow to the circle, buying actual new-new stuff that gets sold to make room for more new-new stuff; there are those who buy the used stuff and sell the used stuff; and then there are those at the outflow who buy the used stuff and use it up till its of no more use. Most of us surf the whole process.

It's beautiful really.

Who are we to go against the natural order of things?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST3NjvdIpKZg2NkhkGvfSkNYjLDd6TJ 3GCREo8PFdoZuuWaip59g

Hilltopperny

You’re not kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T
09-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Nah, keep records, and be sure to not in spirt or letter turn your addiction into a business.

d_douglas
09-06-2018, 03:59 PM
I am frequently reminded of this being on here.

I have my WTB for a Grail Crumpton and have been tempted by at least 1/2 dozen amazing bikes that are very similar to this bike, but in the end, I need to remind myself, that it is not a Crumpton.

There have been Parlee framesets on here in my size going for $1500 that are 99% the bike that a Crumpton is, but when you are set on something, you need to either follow through on it, or very decisively rationalize why the second best option is adequate.

I have no problems rationalizing it and wouldn't be ashamed to say 'hey, I've decided to buy that Parlee instead', but I need to be comfortable with the decision knowing that I am eliminating certain options by choosing others.

One particular example is that I have always bought 'affordable' tires because I cannot justify super expensive ones. I am nearly at replacement time on my sale-item Conti GP4000s and want to try Compass but cannot stomache the additional cost. It is certainly attainable, so its not like I wont be able to feed my kids - its a question of principle that will be reinforced when I see more Contis on sale at 40% off!

unterhausen
09-06-2018, 04:07 PM
I know I would be happier if I had a lot less stuff. Owning things weighs you down.

Aaron O
09-07-2018, 08:35 AM
No question...I ride more when I buy less.

OtayBW
09-07-2018, 12:14 PM
I appreciate identifying the things worth keeping and returning to them like old friends.

Aaron O
09-14-2018, 08:33 PM
So, of course, I bought it.

Aaron O
09-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Got it out this weekend for about 100 miles...

DO NOT REGRET! Really fun bike, the suspension quiets buzz and hand discomfort and it's a fun descender. Really like it!

markmdr
09-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Enter temptation...

Haha... Your post made me laugh. I am exactly the same way! And good to know that it's also quite good to be open about these things on here, as I too feel it is a bad trait or disorder of some kind. I do love deals, and have amassed atleast double of something... thinking I will be needing it... as back up or even as an opinion of another color to choose from. Tsk tsk...

Rest assure that you are not alone in this... I had just finished building an OPEN Up, but felt the need to also build a Canyon Endurace, which is quite similar in some ways too.

Sorry for not having too much input on what you were really trying to get an answer on...