PDA

View Full Version : So, when did...

William
09-04-2018, 07:26 AM
...a "pound" of coffee become 12oz?

William

paredown
09-04-2018, 07:44 AM
I actually think it was when Starbucks started being distributed in supermarkets, and to make their price look decent they started with the smaller packages--assuming correctly that most Americans would not do the math.

The other "premium" brands piled on and it became a thing.

That's my slightly paranoid version.

Bentley
09-04-2018, 07:48 AM
I don’t believe this is a recent development. Similarly some brands do not sell a half gallon of ice cream, I think a pound of bacon may be 12 oz in some brands. Subtle way to increase prices.

I will add that some places make you ask for coffee because it’s “locked up”.

Ray

echelon_john
09-04-2018, 07:55 AM
a pound is still a pound with my folks in RI!

Dark Roast of the Decade is our recurring monthly order. Happy to support them!

https://newharvestcoffee.com/shop/dark-roast-decade/

Tickdoc
09-04-2018, 08:03 AM
am guessing it is a metric thing. 1/2 kilo is close to a pound.

Makes it easier for the farms that grow both the black stuff and the white stuff ;~)

KonaSS
09-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Recently started buying green coffee beans for $7-8 a pound and home roasting using a popcorn popper. I have been pretty happy with the results and like it as much as anything I can buy locally.

soulspinner
09-04-2018, 08:53 AM
When prices rose?

Hilltopperny
09-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Don’t see how 3/4 of a lb can be marketed as a full lb as it is clearly missing 1/4lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
09-04-2018, 09:11 AM
If you ask for a ton of rocks they will sell you 1000 pounds. not a metric ton that is like 2200 pounds.

Noticed what the op is saying aswell, IMO the scam is based in fact that 12 inch is a foot, and that people is used to use that number as a factor so they put that in there because costumers have 12 in their head instead of 16.

Metric system is easier...

MattTuck
09-04-2018, 09:13 AM
It is called "shrinkflation" and it is a real thing that extends way beyond coffee. Also known as stealth inflation.

It is because the federal reserve is printing so many damn FRNs. Buy bitcoin.

:eek::p

jemdet
09-04-2018, 09:16 AM
I first saw 12 oz "pounds" at Colombe, so I'll blame them for it without any actual proof. All of the larger boutique-y brands do the same thing. Better deals at my coop, better camaraderie at the local roaster.

The price difference between making coffee at home and buying it on the go is so huge that I don't mind paying a premium on beans

charliedid
09-04-2018, 09:23 AM
Bags of coffee from small batch premium roasters have been 12 oz at (third party) retail for about 10 years. Many of the same companies actually sell 1lb bags in their own shops. Some don't.

nalax
09-04-2018, 09:29 AM
At Costco, their pound of beans is 2.5 lbs. I’ll take 12 oz!

oldpotatoe
09-04-2018, 09:38 AM
If you ask for a ton of rocks they will sell you 1000 pounds. not a metric ton that is like 2200 pounds.

Noticed what the op is saying aswell, IMO the scam is based in fact that 12 inch is a foot, and that people is used to use that number as a factor so they put that in there because costumers have 12 in their head instead of 16.

Metric system is easier...

Isn't a 'ton' 2000 pounds? Just askin..:) Metric ton is 1000kgs.

Yes, metric is far easier..but why are 700c tires in Europe called '28 inch' and why are all bearing balls in Europe also in inches? :eek:

Clean39T
09-04-2018, 09:39 AM
I buy pounds of coffee from one of my suppliers in Portland in 1-Qt. Ball jars - and they're still only 12oz.

It's a global conspiracy.

The coffee is damn good though. Small batch, farmer direct, and delivered from the roaster to the store by bicycle.

Btw - a small coffee at many Portland shops is 8oz and now goes for $3. Most baristas will put about 6oz in there and give you the stink eye if you don't drop a dollar in the jar. Progress.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

benb
09-04-2018, 09:56 AM
12oz bags from the local premium roasters work for me.. I'm the only one drinking the coffee and 12oz is a better option than 16oz for me in terms of I get through the bag before the flavor starts to fade much.

Bentley
09-04-2018, 09:58 AM
am guessing it is a metric thing. 1/2 kilo is close to a pound.

Makes it easier for the farms that grow both the black stuff and the white stuff ;~)

Its more than 1 lb, one Kg equals 2.2 lb

Ray

livingminimal
09-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Can you show me where even once 12oz of coffee is marketed as a pound?
Or are we lamenting that many roasters dont sell in 1lb increments anymore?

If its the former, that's a problem. I go through a bag a week at home, rarely order from the same roaster more than twice, and I've never once seen a 12oz (or 340g) bag marketed as a "pound of coffee."

93KgBike
09-04-2018, 10:11 AM
William

I hear you! Maybe around the same time that Hershey's milk chocolate with almonds became milk chocolate with almond.

William
09-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Recently started buying green coffee beans for $7-8 a pound and home roasting using a popcorn popper. I have been pretty happy with the results and like it as much as anything I can buy locally.

I did the similar thing for a long time until I found a local roaster where I get it fresh as can be. Every once and a I'll hit him between roasts and he's out or just roasted and needs to let it off-gas for a day or two so I may have to hit the super market aisle if I'm desperate. They carry Peets, SB, and Intelligentsia and just realized they were 12oz yet the price tag gives a price per pound so if you don't do the math or notice it's not actually a pound you think you are getting a pound. And I can remember when you generally did actually get a 16oz.

I think I noticed recently some beer that was 11.oz per bottle. They always used to be 12 unless you we getting kingers (16oz). I don't know if that is a widespread thing or not.

William

93KgBike
09-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Increasing food prices spark trend of package downsizing (https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2014/02/11/the-incredible-shrinking-package/Ti6VwQCCcg0whLdr8bHnyJ/story.html) 2014

Mzilliox
09-04-2018, 10:34 AM
its simple marketing. specialty coffee had to go down to 12 oz bags so they would cost similar to 1lb bags of lesser coffee. people like paying certain amounts fo things, so say you dont pay more than 12 bucks for a bag of coffee. fine, ill make my $12 bag smaller, only 12 ozs now instead of 16. you still pay the price you like to pay for a bag of coffee and i can make my margin as a specialty roaster who pays more for better beans and a better roasting machine, and puts more love and time into the roast.

so your 1lb bag is not 12ozs, 12ozs is the new bag amount.

Ken Robb
09-04-2018, 10:43 AM
I buy whole beans at COSTCO. Usually I choose a Kirkland brand dark roast. The sources vary from time to time Costa Rica, Guatemala, Sumatra, etc. Occasionally I'll buy Starbucks French Roast or Peet's Major Dickinson there too. I grind the beans and brew about 12oz. each morning to wash down my croissant. The beans are usually in 2.5 or 3 pound bags and cost $15-18 so the prices are very reasonable.

Mark McM
09-04-2018, 11:08 AM
A McDonalds Quarter Pounder burger is only 1/4 pound (4 oz) pre-cooked - after cooking the burger is only about 3 oz.

A 2x4 board is actually about 1.5" x 3.5". The designation 2x4 comes from its approximate original size, before drying and finish milling.

crankles
09-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Increasing food prices spark trend of package downsizing (https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2014/02/11/the-incredible-shrinking-package/Ti6VwQCCcg0whLdr8bHnyJ/story.html) 2014

I think this pretty much nails it. The price of green coffee beans spiked in 2010. In order to keep prices "the same" many local roaster simply decreased the amount. Folks seemed more comfortable getting 25% less than paying 25% more.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2535/coffee-prices-historical-chart-data

Ozz
09-04-2018, 11:41 AM
I...I think I noticed recently some beer that was 11.oz per bottle. They always used to be 12 unless you we getting kingers (16oz). I don't know if that is a widespread thing or not.

William

Rainier came in 11oz bottlers, 12oz cans, and 16oz bottles ("pounders")...

I noticed this when I was high school.....errrrr....uh....I mean college. Regardless, it was a looong time ago.

:beer:

djg
09-04-2018, 11:43 AM
I hear you! Maybe around the same time that Hershey's milk chocolate with almonds became milk chocolate with almond.

Next up, the Mound Bar

zetroc
09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
a pound is still a pound with my folks in RI!

Dark Roast of the Decade is our recurring monthly order. Happy to support them!

https://newharvestcoffee.com/shop/dark-roast-decade/

New Harvest does a great job! I visited Providence a couple of years ago and had their coffee a couple of times and it was really good. As noted, their bags of beans are a full 16 ounces.

jemoryl
09-04-2018, 03:03 PM
...I think I noticed recently some beer that was 11.oz per bottle. They always used to be 12 unless you we getting kingers (16oz). I don't know if that is a widespread thing or not.

William

While we are griping like a bunch of old men, what is with all the 4-packs of 16 ounce cans for craft beer, priced higher than the usual 6-packs of 12 oz. cans? And I'm not always that keen on drinking 16 oz. of a 7.8% DIPA.

kingpin75s
09-04-2018, 03:14 PM

William

Too funny! You just caught that huh.

Yep. A couple years now. I remember buying a bag of Intelligentsia Black Cat espresso at the Angry Catfish in Minneapolis and thinking, WOW, the price of my beans went DOWN a dollar since last time. NOPE, bag got smaller.

p.s. - All threads need photos :)