PDA

View Full Version : New Centaur 12-27 10s cassette--improved?

paredown
09-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Looking around I see Veloce and a couple of new Centaur (other than Record).

The advertising says the new cassette "has a revised tooth profile to ensure optimum precision when shifting from one sprocket to another."

Anyone have experience with these--and do they shift better?

Cicli
09-03-2018, 07:55 PM
I just installed a Veloce 9 speed cassette. Shifts perfectly. Smooth and fast. Took off a Record.

john903
09-03-2018, 07:57 PM
I am running a 12-30 Veloce from 2017 with 2017 Veloce shifters and derailleurs and it all works great. I have also used a new 2017 veloce 13-26
on my old 2000 Chorus group and it works great. I think it all shifts great in the Campy way I have grown to know and love after all these years. Ok I actually like the old hood shape better then the new, but that is for aesthetic reasons only.
Have a great day.

thwart
09-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Looking around I see Veloce and a couple of new Centaur (other than Record).

The advertising says the new cassette "has a revised tooth profile to ensure optimum precision when shifting from one sprocket to another."

Anyone have experience with these--and do they shift better?

I have one that I ride a lot. IME not significantly different shifting performance than a 2008 era Centaur or Chorus 13-26 or 13-29 (for example), although the tooth profile has indeed been changed to more closely match the 11 speed cassettes.

I like mine and would buy another... gives you a nice gearing choice between the two listed above... as well as being relatively light.

paredown
09-04-2018, 05:03 PM
I have one that I ride a lot. IME not significantly different shifting performance than a 2008 era Centaur or Chorus 13-26 or 13-29 (for example), although the tooth profile has indeed been changed to more closely match the 11 speed cassettes.

I like mine and would buy another... gives you a nice gearing choice between the two listed above... as well as being relatively light.
Thanks--I thought it was probably advertising more than function--they probably revised all the tooling at the same time as they did the 11s.

I was leaning towards the new ones anyway, since the supply of all but the 14-23 Centaur old ones seem to have dried up.

Ralph
09-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Ribble has the old ones. Just bought a 13-26 10's for $40. My favorite 10's cassette for most riding.

The newer 10's 12-27 and 12-30 are different from old ones. 2.5 MM space between all cogs. 3 largest cogs are all on aluminum carriers. Much lighter also (I weighed my 12-30)....I suspect cogs are same width as 11's with 10's spacers. Would not be surprised if made by someone else.

Previous loose cog ones had 3 different spacers, 2.4, 2.55. and I believe 1.6 MM (between two largest cogs). Some Centaurs had the two largest cogs on carriers….but later ones seem to be rebadged Veloce, all loose cogs.

All work fine. Save the little booklet that comes with them. it tells you where the spacers go.