PDA

View Full Version : OT OT: 2016 VW Sportwagen climate control question

eddief
09-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Got the model with non-dual mode fancy climate control. The AC recirc button is screwing with my mind. What is it supposed to do? Is it automatic in some way? Does it go on and off when I have not treated it right? Love the car...still, but this recirc thing is a puzzle.

jtbadge
09-02-2018, 03:07 PM
My 2012 GTI might be a bit different, but the recirc turns on automatically when you dial the temp knob to “Max AC.” Other than that, you would have to manually engage it every time you turn the car on.

palincss
09-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Got the model with non-dual mode fancy climate control. The AC recirc button is screwing with my mind. What is it supposed to do? Is it automatic in some way? Does it go on and off when I have not treated it right? Love the car...still, but this recirc thing is a puzzle.

It goes on automatically when you turn the temperature all the way to the left (i.e., max cold). Is that what you mean?

eddief
09-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Since you can push the recirc button to make it recirc, I assumed once pushed it would stay on no matter what...maybe even after turning off the motor.

But now I think I see when you get in a hot car, you crank down the temp to cold and then you are putting cold air in the car and recircing that rather than allowing more hot to come in from outside.

I gets it now.

dave thompson
09-02-2018, 04:25 PM
The A/C recircrecirculates cabin air, rather than having outside air come in, which cools the interior faster.

I’m not familiar with the VW but typically if you ‘ask’ for max a/c, the system will engage the recirculation, as will you manually engaging the button.

Black Dog
09-02-2018, 05:34 PM
If you direct the air to the windshield the recirculation will be stopped to prevent the moist cabin air fogging the windshield. It will automatically shut off the resirc. Is this what is happening to you?

eddief
09-02-2018, 07:00 PM
but I do own half a brain and as I've observed the recirc I can't tell if it is doing things somewhat unpredictably. Now you are making me think it does stuff due some programming I am not aligned with.

If you direct the air to the windshield the recirculation will be stopped to prevent the moist cabin air fogging the windshield. It will automatically shut off the resirc. Is this what is happening to you?

Ralph
09-02-2018, 08:18 PM
On my daughters Honda CRV....which has an economy setting for the engine.....anytime the economy setting is on, it automatically puts the climate control in recirculate. Imagine it takes less energy to cool already cool air than outside air...so the AC compressor would engage less and use less fuel.

I run recirculate any time it's real hot and I'm in traffic. Hate to smell the exhaust in front of me from outside air.

On some cars....if you run recirculate all the time on a long trip....the unit might freeze up and drip some water on floor mat.

makoti
09-02-2018, 10:53 PM
It goes on automatically when you turn the temperature all the way to the left (i.e., max cold). Is that what you mean?

This is what happens on my 2017 Golf. Otherwise, I have to turn it on.

Brian Cdn
09-03-2018, 03:47 PM
This is what happens on my 2017 Golf. Otherwise, I have to turn it on.

Same on my 2018 Sportwagen

eddief
09-03-2018, 05:17 PM
it works just as all of you say. And I understand the logic now. All good in Sprotwagen world. Drove around today in sport mode. More funner.