PDA

View Full Version : Cross tires - Tread design prefrences?

William
11-03-2006, 10:11 AM
What do you wet and muddy cross folks like for tread design in your tires? I know weather and course conditions play a part in what you want to run, but overall?

Aggressive knobs all around?
Smoother in the center for less rolling resistance with aggressive side walls to dig in on the corners?
Etc....

Preferences please.

William

PS: Include mfr's and models if you like.

Bruce K
11-03-2006, 10:34 AM
William;

First off, I assume you are talking clinchers not tubulars.

Michelin Muds are sort of the standard for wet/muddy clincher tires. I have switched to the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and like them better. They seem to roll more smoothly, require a little less pressure, and hold up well.

Challenge has a new clincher with the same pattern as their tubular, but they are PRICEY.

My experience is limited and I am not the racer ANY of our other members are, but that's my 2 cents.

Terry (coylifut), Justin (fstrthnu), atmo, or any of the other big time racers may have a different idea.

Another thought would be for you to check out www.cyclocrossworld.com for options and ideas.

BK

atmo
11-03-2006, 10:48 AM
William;

Challenge has a new clincher with the same pattern as their tubular, but they are PRICEY.
not really atmo.
hey - call me!

Terry (coylifut), Justin (fstrthnu), atmo, or any of the other big time racers may have a different idea.

we love the challenge grifos and not just because we are
sponsored by them. we love them because they work,
and there's no risk/reward factor lost by not having that
other brand that weighs a few grams less. the grifo
32 is our standard, yet some cats in black like the 30s
and others like the 34s.

crossjunkee
11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I've had good luck with these:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Cross+EVO+XG+Folding&vendorCode=VITT&major=8&minor=2

The Michelin's are nice, but I find them hard to pedal. They also don't really shed mud on the sides very well.

zank
11-03-2006, 11:22 AM
there's no risk/reward factor lost by not having that
other brand that weighs a few grams less.

e-R, if you are referring to the tire that begins with T- and ends with -ufo, I think they are at a disadvantage to the Grifo in terms of traction when it gets the least bit wet. I rode my buddy's Grifos around at a training ride and could not believe how much better they hooked up compared to my Tufo LPS tires. I have heard similar things about the Flexus in the wet. They are light but get sketchy in the wet. I would take traction over weight any day, which means the Grifo, yo. I can't wait to get on my new Grifo 34s!

Big Will, if it was me and I had a single set of clincher wheels for cross, I would be inclined to go with Mud2s. I pedalled by a bunch of guys riding Dugasts at Canton and that was a fast course. They roll good enough for me. And having confidence in the corners is key. If I had 2 sets of clincher wheels, I would have one set with Mud2s and one set with Grifo 32 clinchers.

Personally, I have 1 set of tubulars that will have Grifo 34s soon and 1 set of clinchers that have Mud2s mounted up. I am intrgued by Bruce's Ralphs and would like to try them, but they look a little too narrow for my taste. I like fat cross tires and fat MTB tires.

My wife said she would buy me a set of Dugasts if I win a Verge 4 race. Those would go on my new wheels I have coming from ergott. She is such a tease.

atmo
11-03-2006, 11:27 AM
e-R, if you are referring to the tire that begins with T- and ends with -ufo, I think they are at a disadvantage to the Grifo in terms of traction when it gets the least bit wet. I rode my buddy's Grifos around at a training ride and could not believe how much better they hooked up compared to my Tufo LPS tires. I have heard similar things about the Flexus in the wet. They are light but get sketchy in the wet. I would take traction over weight any day, which means the Grifo, yo.

no i meant that other boutique brand atmo.
alotta pros choose challenge because they wanna
finish the race with air in the tires.

coylifut
11-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Terry (coylifut) = small time-amature/master-ham and egger, Justin (fstrthnu)=big time, pro, filet mignon

I'm one of the few who doesn't perfer the Michelin Muds. I find that they clog and don't clear well in mud with a high clay quotient. I'm jumping up and down excited about the new Grifo clincher.

zank
11-03-2006, 11:38 AM
no i meant that other boutique brand atmo.
alotta pros choose challenge because they wanna
finish the race with air in the tires.

Ahh, I see. That's why I told Rebecca that if I win, she can just buy me more Challenge tires instead.

And if we are comparing ourselves to meat, I am ground chuck. 25% fat.

atmo
11-03-2006, 11:40 AM
And if we are comparing ourselves to meat, I am ground chuck. 25% fat.
kobe beef atmo

chrisroph
11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
polish sausage, 25% but happy

William
11-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Since we are talking food here now....

The initial set up with have some ham & egger cross tires on it until I get my new set from Ergott...which at this point, I'm leaning toward mounting some Griffo's on.

William the rump roast. :banana:

PS: Yes, you can believe that the hubs will be in the mail this time Ergott. ;)

shinomaster
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Michelin Mud
i
c
h
i
l
i
n
m
u
d

shinomaster
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
kobe beef atmo

eat it with a spoon atmo..

musgravecycles
11-03-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm gonna Hijack this thread here...

I'm lookin' for a tire that'll never get raced, I've already got racin' tires (Michelin clinchers/Vittoria tubulars), but will live it's live as a pseudo 29'er on the trails...

Wider is better, something that's not fragile in singletrack, and a bit more aggresive than a racing tire... A dude I hooked up with out on the trails the other days was running the Maxxis Locust's which looked decent, any others...

coylifut
11-04-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm gonna Hijack this thread here...

I'm lookin' for a tire that'll never get raced, I've already got racin' tires (Michelin clinchers/Vittoria tubulars), but will live it's live as a pseudo 29'er on the trails...

Wider is better, something that's not fragile in singletrack, and a bit more aggresive than a racing tire... A dude I hooked up with out on the trails the other days was running the Maxxis Locust's which looked decent, any others...

i use the Ritchey Excavader on my single speed. It meets the description you outlined. You can find them really cheap as well.