PDA

View Full Version : Photo of Utah driver rolling coal goes viral

djg21
09-02-2018, 08:15 AM
:mad: https://fox13now.com/2018/08/29/photo-of-utah-driver-blowing-black-exhaust-at-winner-of-hoodoo-300-cycling-race-goes-viral/

These clowns should be criminally prosecuted for something, even if just harassment. A $100 fine is nonsense.

The license plate is visible and there should be repercussions. The driver should be prosecuted for something, even if just harassment.

This also is why I use Cycliq cameras.

tlarwa
09-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Karma is a bitch ... and always seems to get the last laugh. His day is coming šŸ˜”

David Kirk
09-02-2018, 08:33 AM
I had a truck driver roll coal over me repeatedly while I was driving my little sports car. I was in a line of traffic in the right lane and he was in the clear left lane and he gassed it to blow soot at me and then slowed down to come back in line and then did it again...and again....and once again to make it four times. His actions were not only annoying but very dangerous to the other drivers around the truck who were nearly rear-ended by the truck during his show of ignorance.

The truck had a logo on it and was owned by a local concrete contractor so I went home, cooled off and then called the business and talked with the boss. I told the owner that the driver would be reported unless he agreed to buy me a beer and sit and talk and the owner said that would not be necessary as he was firing that driver. I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to meet the guy and have him be forced to look the name-less and face-less "other" guy he put at risk in the eye and explain why he felt entitled to treat me that way. His being fired was enough in the long run.

Justice isn't always quick or linear but it is possible.

I know some states have rules against modding trucks to do this and I suppose that is good but in the end it's the motivation of the driver that is the core issue.....and laws can't regulate that.

dave

AngryScientist
09-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Montana is probably an outlier due to population; but I would say most states have laws and regulations against modding trucks to spew particulates. Whether or not they are enforced is another story; but in 2018; this should t be allowed. Dave mentions "dangerous" for the traffic hazard caused; but breathing diesel exhaust particulate has pretty well understood health hazards too. Sorry that anyone has to deal with this; it's the equivalent of monkeys throwing their poop at you.

OtayBW
09-02-2018, 08:44 AM
:mad: https://fox13now.com/2018/08/29/photo-of-utah-driver-blowing-black-exhaust-at-winner-of-hoodoo-300-cycling-race-goes-viral/

These clowns should be criminally prosecuted for something, even if just harassment. A $100 fine is nonsense.

The license plate is visible and there should be repercussions. The driver should be prosecuted for something, even if just harassment.

This also is why I use Cycliq cameras.
From the article: "If identified, the driver faces a $100 fine."

Not enough, IMO....

tuscanyswe
09-02-2018, 08:49 AM
100$ Not nearly enough.
How much is running a light in US ?

Here i think its 300 bux or similar. I think i prefer finlands take on these things tho. Have a minimum fee of say 200 and then make it a fee based on your income or total fortune. Makes more sense to me as having cash should not put you above the law.

jamesdak
09-02-2018, 09:12 AM
I had a truck driver roll coal over me repeatedly while I was driving my little sports car. I was in a line of traffic in the right lane and he was in the clear left lane and he gassed it to blow soot at me and then slowed down to come back in line and then did it again...and again....and once again to make it four times. His actions were not only annoying but very dangerous to the other drivers around the truck who were nearly rear-ended by the truck during his show of ignorance.

The truck had a logo on it and was owned by a local concrete contractor so I went home, cooled off and then called the business and talked with the boss. I told the owner that the driver would be reported unless he agreed to buy me a beer and sit and talk and the owner said that would not be necessary as he was firing that driver. I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to meet the guy and have him be forced to look the name-less and face-less "other" guy he put at risk in the eye and explain why he felt entitled to treat me that way. His being fired was enough in the long run.

Justice isn't always quick or linear but it is possible.

I know some states have rules against modding trucks to do this and I suppose that is good but in the end it's the motivation of the driver that is the core issue.....and laws can't regulate that.

dave

I had the same thing by a jerk in a white Dodge while driving my Miata a few years ago. He kept slowing down in front of me to do it. Same jerk had caught me a few times on my bike too. I let it go them because I was angry. Ran into him a week later at the only store in our valley. This old soldier went into "1SG mode" on him and almost had the little jerk crying. Never had an issue with him again. Never laid a hand on him just gave him a stern lecture about how I didn't come out of a 22 year career disabled while serving our country to put up with such silliness from such a "little" person. Hopefully it stopped him from doing it to anyone else.

It used to happen alot around here in northern Utah but I haven't seem much of it the past couple of years. I believe they are cracking down on it.

David Kirk
09-02-2018, 09:14 AM
I had the same thing by a jerk in a white Dodge while driving my Miata a few years ago. He kept slowing down in front of me to do it. Same jerk had caught me a few times on my bike too. I let it go them because I was angry. Ran into him a week later at the only store in our valley. This old soldier went into "1SG mode" on him and almost had the little jerk crying. Never had an issue with him again. Never laid a hand on him just gave him a stern lecture about how I didn't come out of a 22 year career disabled while serving our country to put up with such silliness from such a "little" person. Hopefully it stopped him from doing it to anyone else.

It used to happen alot around here in northern Utah but I haven't seem much of it the past couple of years. I believe they are cracking down on it.

Nice.

dave

Climb01742
09-02-2018, 09:17 AM
What if the penalty was impounding the vehicle for, say, a week or two? Bring home the reality that having a vehicle comes with responsibilities. Act irresponsibly, lose use of the vehicle for awhile. A small fine may not get their attention or be enough motivation to change behavior. Bet having to walk for a week or two might.

Mzilliox
09-02-2018, 09:23 AM
some dumb ****s did this to my wife and i yesterday. punks everywhere. raise your kids good, dont let your tablet do it for you.

ultraman6970
09-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Times have changed a lot, is hard for parents even being parents... remember when you parents and gandparents were not going to let any weird stuff of behavoir to slip to the guts and stop the BS right there? well parents dont want to anymore and sucks. Society is totally different lately that what was years ago. Larger population it means more douche's being raised.

The license plate of that truck is clearly visible, hope somebody post it publicly, another guy finds him and the driver starts being trolled for a few months by thousand of troll riders. That will be enough punishment for him and the other idiot at his side.

buddybikes
09-02-2018, 11:03 AM
nothing will happen....

daker13
09-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Generally I hate hearing about people losing their jobs over some thoughtless act, but this guy deserved it. Good for you.

avalonracing
09-02-2018, 11:36 AM
And it isn't like "Oh I got black soot on me". The person is literally blowing poison in your lungs with malice. It should be treated as an assault.

72gmc
09-02-2018, 12:00 PM
https://rate-driver.com/UT/D347PJ

I'm guessing this genius never thought about the risk of being identified. The internet often reacts in small and petty ways, but maybe even that tiny measure of accountability will scare some of these cowards straight.

djg21
09-02-2018, 01:07 PM
This happened to me the day after Election Day. A truck was blocking traffic in the other direction rolling coal with a number of cars behind me. When he saw me coming from the other direction, he crossed the median and headed straight for me. He belched a black cloud just as he was in front of me before cutting sharply into his lane. I was going off the shoulder thinking Iā€™d be hit.

The guy had two flags flying from masts in his bed ā€” one said ā€œTrumpā€ the other was a red, white and black Klan flag. This was in Schaghticoke NY, just east of where the Battenkill was held. Itā€™s essentially is in Dumb****istan.

Spaghetti Legs
09-02-2018, 01:43 PM
My face to face with the jerk occurred a couples of years ago in Atlantic Beach NC. I was on vacation, riding my bike in the only short section of 4 lane road on the island. Hardly any traffic around and a convertible mustang guns it and passes me within a couple of feet, scaring the ****e out of me. I put what little hammer I have left down to catch him at the major intersection about a half mile away. It was a 20-ish year old kid with his lady friend. I look down into the car with my 6 day growth of vacation stubble and asked him why he had to pass me so closely. I forget his reply but it was pretty weak and he wouldnā€™t make eye contact. Iā€™m glad his girlfriend was there to see that.

avalonracing
09-02-2018, 03:33 PM
This happened to me the day after Election Day. A truck was blocking traffic in the other direction rolling coal with a number of cars behind me. When he saw me coming from the other direction, he crossed the median and headed straight for me. He belched a black cloud just as he was in front of me before cutting sharply into his lane. I was going off the shoulder thinking Iā€™d be hit.

The guy had two flags flying from masts in his bed ā€” one said ā€œTrumpā€ the other was a red, white and black Klan flag. This was in Schaghticoke NY, just east of where the Battenkill was held. Itā€™s essentially is in Dumb****istan.

That anti-social POS needs some jail time. Hopefully somewhere "out of his element".

PeregrineA1
09-02-2018, 03:59 PM
I work occasionally on Camp Pendleton. In order to ride from Orange to San Diego County one must either ride on the freeway (legal on this stretch-not desirable) or ride across the Marine base. I was driving behind a Dodge Cummins PU with all the small penis regalia on it. He rolled coal on a cyclist. I followed him back to his barracks. Then I went off in search of an MP. Found one, who happened to be a cyclist. MP took down the info-barracks number, license plate, description of the driver, along with my statement about the incident. MP said he would go talk to the young manā€™s CO and the results would be unpleasant. I was happy......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seramount
09-02-2018, 04:07 PM
luckily, I've never been the subjected to the jackassery and potential dangers of coal-rolling.

sadly, tho, cyclists in my immediate area are dealing with an individual who targeted me and a couple of other riders with a different type of belligerence over the wkend.

his MO is to come up behind riders at high speed, lay on the horn, make a brush-by pass, cut in front, and then do a panic brake-check. all of this is accompanied by much screaming of profanities and obscene gesturing.

after my encounter with this maniac, I came across three police units that were stopped curbside for some unknown reason. gave them a description of the driver and vehicle, but was too rattled during the encounter to get a plate number for them to run.

have had dozens of interactions with jerks over the years, but this guy's road-rage is the most intense behavior I've ever seen from a driver. truly think he intends to injure someone.

spent most of my ride time today warning riders to be on the lookout for this person. hopefully someone will get a photo or video and phone in the license number.

ptourkin
09-02-2018, 05:00 PM
I work occasionally on Camp Pendleton. In order to ride from Orange to San Diego County one must either ride on the freeway (legal on this stretch-not desirable) or ride across the Marine base. I was driving behind a Dodge Cummins PU with all the small penis regalia on it. He rolled coal on a cyclist. I followed him back to his barracks. Then I went off in search of an MP. Found one, who happened to be a cyclist. MP took down the info-barracks number, license plate, description of the driver, along with my statement about the incident. MP said he would go talk to the young manā€™s CO and the results would be unpleasant. I was happy......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an aside but a lot of us always take the 5. It's much safer and easier than the base where Udo Heinz was killed and his riding partners were maimed by a bus. There is also a new delay for those of us who don't have a permanent pass.

merlinmurph
09-02-2018, 07:52 PM
You learn something every day. I had no idea what "rolling coal" meant. Truly a douchebag move.

Hellgate
09-02-2018, 08:22 PM

It used to happen alot around here in northern Utah but I haven't seem much of it the past couple of years. I believe they are cracking down on it.Nice, the CSM approves.

54ny77
09-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Not for nothing, but I'd like to see the exhaust shoved in that drivers' mouth, maybe break some teeth in the process, and then have someone roll some neutral coal exhaust his way.

Twice.

peanutgallery
09-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Lots of pent up aggression on Paceline tonite

I like it better when we argue about bike parts

54ny77
09-02-2018, 09:23 PM
^^^yep. I've been on bike more the past month than i have in several years, since I got back to riding again. The s^$#! i've seen and experienced firsthand....unbelievable. My patience and willingness to accommodate my fellow man is greatly diminished. You can only kick a dog so many times.... Am giving mroe thought to taking up track again and do more mountain biking. If i'm gonna crash, I'd rather it be of my own doing misjudging a trail line vs. getting slammed by a soccer mom in a gazillion ton SUV oblivious to her surroundings while texting or smartphone web surfing....:mad:

Vientomas
09-02-2018, 10:22 PM
Some asshole "rolled" me today...descending at about 40 mph...passed super close and farted a huge black cloud in my face. The air wash from passing so close almost sent me off the road and I was blinded by the smoke. What an absolute D Bag. What the hell is wrong with people? I'm disgusted by the behavior of some of my fellow "humans". When did it become acceptable to endanger others in such a callous fashion? Rant off...

Red Tornado
09-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Used to have this problem in my neck of the woods, too. However, there's enough folk now with cameras, and a good number have reported it to the law along with footage. Also, one of our club members is in pretty tight with several deputy's in the local Sheriff Dept. On more than one occasion, he's got the vehicle info and called it in. The fact that there are usually multiple eyewitnesses (this guy rarely rides solo) helps our case, I'm guessing. The law here has been getting better about following up on these kinds of things. They even respond to dog attacks.
Maybe word is getting out amongst the trouble makers and it's not worth it anymore. Sad to see it have to come to this, but "stupid is as stupid does".