PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Fenix users... 3HR or 5 sapphire?

VTCaraco
09-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Is the difference enough to justify an extra $100?

I can get a factory refurb for $280 or a second-hand (lightly used) or the 5 sapphire for $375.

Or would someone recommend something different?

rlanger
09-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Depends what you are going to be using it for. The 5 has a few extra software features that the 3 will never get. Garmin has stopped updating the 3's firmware, although it does still regularly update the firmware of component parts e.g. bluetooth etc.

For what it's worth, I'm still using my Fenix 3 after about 3.5 years. Battery is still good and it does absolutely everything I need it to do.

If it were my money, I'd be getting the refurbed 3.

scoobydrew
09-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Keep in mind the size difference as well. It's what swayed me to get a Fenix 5 rather than a 3HR. I don't use it on the bike (dedicated computer for that), but use it for my daily activity tracking off the bike.

Gummee
09-02-2018, 08:36 AM
I bought a used Fenix 3 (no HR) for $175 a bit ago. Didn't realize how big/heavy that thing would be.

If you want a multi-sport watch, get a the top-end Garmin tri watch 'cause they're much lighter

M

VTCaraco
09-02-2018, 09:07 AM
I don't mind a big(ger) watch.
And I wear a mechanical watch day-in and day-out (a fairly hefty one), so this will simply be for exercise.

Interests, in order, include:

Tracking HR and distance while cycling. Distance is less important than HR.
Tracking XC skiing HR and distance would be nice with this, too, but not essential. We ski tracks at a destination, not backcountry.
Tracking HR while hiking. Again, not usually venturing where a map is essential, but I like the distance metric and the ability to get out if, for some reason, I get lost.
Tracking HR when running on the elliptical in the basement.
Tracking HR and distance when running. I hate running, but I do get out, on occassion, for the quick workout.

Economically, I'd rather spend a little more to get it "right", but man-o-man is this as confusing as any shopping I've done. Last night I convinced myself that I wanted to go with the Fenix-series. This morning I'm thinking that I want to look at the Ambit or Spartan series again (which I had convinced myself was NOT the way to go). For every review that advocates for one at the expense of the other, you can find one that says the opposite.

Ambit/Spartan does seem to be a little shorter $$-wise.

peanutgallery
09-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Depends on what you want it to do

I've had a fenix 3 for about a year, its big/clunky/heavy but its rock solid and the battery lasts a really long time. Like weeks. Can't say the same about a forerunner. They're lighter and more fragile in comparison

I wanted something passive that tracked activity and I don't care about current speed. One feature it has that I like is the ski function...and the find my phone

As with all current garmin products, synching with connect is seamless.

The 5 is prettier with more size options which I can understand. But I've been happy with the 3

C40_guy
09-02-2018, 11:14 AM
I had a Fenix 3 briefly, then traded up to a 5. i found the screen and menu systems more intuitive.

Definitely worth the extra $...

dustyrider
09-02-2018, 11:36 AM
I don't mind a big(ger) watch.
And I wear a mechanical watch day-in and day-out (a fairly hefty one), so this will simply be for exercise.

Interests, in order, include:

Tracking HR and distance while cycling. Distance is less important than HR.
Tracking XC skiing HR and distance would be nice with this, too, but not essential. We ski tracks at a destination, not backcountry.
Tracking HR while hiking. Again, not usually venturing where a map is essential, but I like the distance metric and the ability to get out if, for some reason, I get lost.
Tracking HR when running on the elliptical in the basement.
Tracking HR and distance when running. I hate running, but I do get out, on occassion, for the quick workout.

I do all that minus the ski stuff with a forerunner 25 and garmin connect. I’ve been thinking I might upgrade to the hr monitor on the wrist next year, but honestly the chest strap is perfectly adequate and I monitor my efforts just as well with avg. pace as I do with heart rate.

onomic
09-02-2018, 12:04 PM
I am not a tech guy but I recently bought a fenix 5 sapphire and it has been great. Easy to setup, use, and navigate the menus. I use it for riding and running with the HR strap. I would recommend it.

rnhood
09-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Given the price of the Fenix series, I can understand the hesitation and second guessing. But if you need to be economically conscious about what you buy, then I would get the Fenix 3, and pass by the off brands. The Fenix series are good watches with suitably good quality. Garmin Connect has some good features, and the IQ app store has some unique widgets and the like. There is just a lot more flexibility with the Garmin.

Gummee
09-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Given the price of the Fenix series, I can understand the hesitation and second guessing. But if you need to be economically conscious about what you buy, then I would get the Fenix 3, and pass by the off brands. The Fenix series are good watches with suitably good quality. Garmin Connect has some good features, and the IQ app store has some unique widgets and the like. There is just a lot more flexibility with the Garmin.
Digging thru the watch, it'll track whatever it is you wanna do from riding with power to swimming

I'll probably never use 3/4 of the stuff, but if I do, it's there.

M

tkbike
09-02-2018, 05:45 PM
If your running / training for marathons or ultra marathons, I find the fenix 5 to be a large heavy watch after extended miles. I had a fenix 5 which I sold and upgrade to the 935 which I found to be a far superior watch for long hours on the road. Being that I’m currently at 170# for a 6’2” large frame may have something to do with it. If you can borrow both from someone for a week and put them through there paces you may find you like the lighter watch for extended workouts.

VTCaraco
09-02-2018, 05:46 PM

It's more a case of paralysis between Suunto Ambit/Spartan and Garmin Fenix and then the labyrinth of choices.
I'd rather spend a little more and get the "right" watch then go for a deal and have lesser longevity, more issues, or otherwise outgrow it.

Both brands seem to have those that sing their praise and those that criticize. I was/am hoping that some similarly slanted folks from here could say more definitively one thing or the other.

Ultimately, I appreciate all the feedback.

earlfoss
09-02-2018, 06:56 PM
I have and use the 5x sapphire. My recommendation is to get the sapphire. You'll thank yourself after the first time you whack it into something. I see lots of people with scratched up 3's and I know it would annoy me.

tkbike
09-02-2018, 07:11 PM
I have and use the 5x sapphire. My recommendation is to get the sapphire. You'll thank yourself after the first time you whack it into something. I see lots of people with scratched up 3's and I know it would annoy me.

My Garmin is a tool like my mtb, it’s going to get some battle scars. If they bother you, screen protectors are cheap and easily replaceable. Take both on a 5 hour training run and decide which works best for you.

earlfoss
09-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Great, good for you.

teleguy57
09-03-2018, 12:23 PM

I have the 3HR, and I think the crystal is sapphire by default, where on the non HR Fenix 3s it an upgrade option.

It is a big watch, and I do have a few scratches on the bezel, but not really noticeable. I've defaulted to wearing it pretty much all the time. I wince a bit when I notice my other watches (nothing too exotic but some are more stylish than this) sitting on the dresser.

I bought mine primarily for nordic skiing, and use it with a Scosche arm strap. That way I avoid a chest strap in winter (never had good luck in colder weather), I can wear it over my outerwear vs having to have wrist contact, plus the HR updates much more frequently.

There is a decent xc ski app on ConnectIQ (https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/86a04a66-b6b8-4943-b569-b786a0edfebf;jsessionid=BE404FEA34A3695226564FE2DC A121E0) that I played with last season.

Not sure I take much advantage of all the bells and whistles on the F3; I use a cycling Garmin while on the bike so have all the bike-related stuff there.

I do understand the F5s have more capabilities and are still being upgraded, so that's a consideration. If I was buying again I'd give more thought to one of the Garmin tri watches (was originally planning on a 920xt then got seduced into the Fenix:)) but would want to do more research on capabilities.

And one more comment on size. Started biathlon last year, and the large Fenix 3 does provide some challenges in taking the rifle on and off quickly. Still playing with how best to wear the watch for that.

DG24
09-03-2018, 05:08 PM
I have the Fenix 2. Been using it on an almost daily basis since 2013? Mostly for running. Lately for riding. Use it mostly for GPS on the bike. It has been more than dependable. Battery life still good.

yakstone
09-03-2018, 06:06 PM
I was originally going with one of the Tri watches as both of my brothers swear by them. But after speaking with a friend that is a garmin dealer, I went with the Fenix 5 Saphire. It does everything I would ever need it to do and doubles as an all around watch. I have it on all day.

BikeNY
09-04-2018, 07:43 AM
I went through this same process a few months ago, and ended up buying a second hand Fenix 5 for $325, and am very happy with it. I actually use it as my daily watch now as well, which I wasn't expecting to do. I don't use it for cycling, but use it for hiking, some running, etc. Like mentioned, it's got tons of features, most that I will never use. One of my favorite features is the call/text notifications from my Iphone. I don't have to take it out of my pocket to see who is calling or texting me. I haven't done it yet, but I believe you can download a track to it to follow while running or hiking. It doesn't have a map like the new 5 Plus, but I wasn't willing to spend that much! Battery life is excellent when wearing it as a general watch and activity tracker. I'm planning a 3 day/2 night backpack trip with my son this weekend, and will try to download a route to follow and see how it works.

benb
09-04-2018, 08:37 AM
I had a Fenix 3 Sapphire and did indeed love it but the size is ridiculous. I really liked it's activity tracking & reminders and such and it has a way more usable screen and useful battery life than stuff like the Apple/Android watches. I had an Apple watch as well and returned it really quickly as I found it fairly uncomfortable with the way the HR monitor protruded from the bottom along with it being ridiculously fiddly/toylike/confusing compared to the Garmin. Amazing that Garmin has a more sane UI than Apple. (And watches should never have screens that turn off IMO)

I have wanted to get a 5S as it's a way more reasonable size with nearly no downside but haven't bothered too as I've come in that time to not be that crazy about wearing a watch at all.

The fact they keep getting more expensive doesn't help, they're essentially disposable tech toys, $700 buys a fair amount of traditional watch that won't have a dead battery in a few years or be obsoleted by the new model or stop working if Garmin changes something major in their software platform. Garmin has been pretty good about not forcing you to buy a new device by changing software but we all know they've had plenty of software problems.