PDA

View Full Version : Italiano BB's

theprep
11-03-2006, 07:16 AM
After reading about Cary Ford's bottom bracket coming loose in his Big Leg Emma, I went home to check mine in my C50. It was loose and backed out about 4 mm on the drive side after only 500 miles.

I think the DA 10 crank design kind of limits how much the BB cups can unscrew with the crank arms being a fixed distance apart and all. The cranks were not spinning very well.

Now when I installed the DA 10 BB a couple of weeks ago it was tight...like cross threaded tight. Yet it still backed out. I used assembly lube on the threads because of the Titanium BB insert. This is my 1st I
Italian BB, any ideas on how to keep it secure?

I was thinking of painting a small dot in the 12 o'clock position on the drive side cup and glancing down on occasion to make sure things are staying put.

thanks,
Joe

sspielman
11-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Blue Loctite painted in a stripe about three threads wide around the circumference of the left cup.....allow it to dry....and then assemble with anti-seize compound to the recommended torque.

Hysbrian
11-03-2006, 07:35 AM
I installed an Italian bb to my 830am at the start of last road season. It came loose after a few rides. I took it off, re tightened it, and it never came loose again. I think that its just something that happens with Italian bb

Ray
11-03-2006, 07:38 AM
I installed an Italian bb to my 830am at the start of last road season. It came loose after a few rides. I took it off, re tightened it, and it never came loose again. I think that its just something that happens with Italian bb
Yeah, the threading pattern causes the right cup to come loose unless its really in there well. My fixie has an Italian BB and I remember when I first put the current bb in there, I could literally watch the thing unthread as I rode, starting about 10 miles into the first ride. I'd stop every couple of miles, finger-tighten it back in, and keep going. Reinstalled with a few wraps of teflon tape after the ride and it hasn't budged since.

-Ray

Dave
11-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I've owned two Colnagos, aTomassini and a Fondriest. I never had a BB problem with any of them. The BB coming loose in the first place has nothing to do with the RH threads. Unscrewing after it comes loose is the unfortunate result of the RH thread.

Applying loctite to the threads and allowing it to dry before assembly is not likely to be of any value. The BB must be tightened in place so the liquid loctite fills the small gaps between the threads to work properly.

Be sure that there is no paint on the right side of BB shell. Better yet, have both sides of the shell faced to insure it's squareness to the threads. Apply grease or Ti prep to the threads and tighten to the proper torque. I suspect most users of outboard cranks have no method of verifying proper torque.