PDA

View Full Version : Do TRP HY/RD's play well with recent Campy levers?

woolly
08-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Considering a road frame w/ disc's. Have been not overly impressed with mechanical disc brakes I've tried, but would like to use/re-purpose a Campy group off of one of my current bikes (actually, probably just steal from a never-completed project). Funds for a shiny new hydro group are just not in the cards right now.

TRP HY/RD's seem like intriguing middle-ground. Reviews seem pretty consistently positive. But do they play well with the cable pull of Campy levers? It seems like it wouldn't be an issue, but you never know. . .

donevwil
08-30-2018, 03:32 PM
No experience with the TRPs, but Yokozuna Motokos are another cable/hydro option that do work very well with Campy.

icepick_trotsky
08-30-2018, 03:56 PM
I'm curious about this, too. Poor reviews of this set up here:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1705844

foo_fighter
08-30-2018, 04:28 PM
You can buy aftermarket arms that change the pull:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CCKD85/?coliid=IP5WBD92T72TT&colid=38TCTQMKEFCXS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Stock, they work really well with SRAM lever pull ratios.

Lewis Moon
08-30-2018, 07:53 PM
No. In fact hell no. Those things are one of the things that made me a canti fan.
Never could make them work (to my satisfaction). I really tried. Really.
I have a set of the after market Campy specific lower lever arms I would trade for cheap too....but then, I think discs are the bike industry's answer to needing more money.

jtbadge
08-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Disc brakes with mechanical Campagnolo levers? Get Paul Klampers. They have a version tuned specifically for the Campy lever pull ratio.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/klamper/

Yes, they're expensive.

rkhatibi
08-31-2018, 12:43 PM
No experience running them with Campy, but out of the box the RP HY/RDs were pretty poor. After the bike shop topped them off and bled them performance and feel were much much better. That seems to be a common complaint. I have them setup with Yokozuna housing which works well, but the Ultegra full hydro are much more precise.

Clean39T
08-31-2018, 01:01 PM
...but then, I think discs are the bike industry's answer to needing more money.

:beer:

woolly
08-31-2018, 05:04 PM
Well poo. Looks like it's time to do a bit of re-planning.

Thanks guys for all the very helpful input!

R3awak3n
08-31-2018, 05:21 PM
yes, get hydros :)

woolly
08-31-2018, 06:04 PM
This is quickly spiraling out of control. From a build-on-the-cheap, to "slight upgrade & expense for cable-hydro's", to considering a new hydro group (like a discounted Ultegra package), to "what the hell, it's only money - Campy hydro ($$$) sounds like what I REALLY want . . . (and it is)"

So, yeah. Thanks guys. Thanks a LOT. Sigh. . .

(realistically, I'll probably either go super-cheap (for the initial build, anyway), or the Ultegra route - but we'll see. . . )

donevwil
08-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Any particular reason the Yokozunas don't interest you? They are head and shoulders better than BB7s or Spyres.

d_douglas
08-31-2018, 06:19 PM
This is quickly spiraling out of control. From a build-on-the-cheap, to "slight upgrade & expense for cable-hydro's", to considering a new hydro group (like a discounted Ultegra package), to "what the hell, it's only money - Campy hydro ($$$) sounds like what you REALLY want . . . (and it is)"

So, yeah. Thanks guys. Thanks a LOT. Sigh. . .

(realistically, I'll probably either go super-cheap (for the initial build, anyway), or the Ultegra route - but we'll see. . . )

I bought a Potenza group (and use Hope RS4 calipers because my frame isn't flatmount) and I actually don't think these parts are much more expensive than Ultegra, if buying new. I bought Ultegra, it worked great - but I missed the shifting style of Campy, so I sold and then bought twice - that is what killed me!

R3awak3n
08-31-2018, 07:21 PM
I bought a Potenza group (and use Hope RS4 calipers because my frame isn't flatmount) and I actually don't think these parts are much more expensive than Ultegra, if buying new. I bought Ultegra, it worked great - but I missed the shifting style of Campy, so I sold and then bought twice - that is what killed me!

I got potenza myself, excellent.

I have an extra brand new potenza shifter complete with feont 160mm caliper if anyone needs it ;)

woolly
08-31-2018, 07:33 PM
Any particular reason the Yokozunas don't interest you? They are head and shoulders better than BB7s or Spyres.

Only the price. $350 for just the brakes makes me start considering full-hydro options, even if it means this bike goes Ultegra & not Campy.

woolly
08-31-2018, 07:34 PM

Yep, the "buy nice or buy twice" trap. Somehow I seem to end up with an "AND" in that sentence instead of an "OR". It's fun though. . .

vqdriver
08-31-2018, 11:10 PM
Hahaha. Thats painfully relatable

iwantone
09-01-2018, 12:09 AM
I would recommend looking into the Yokozuna Motoko or Juin Tech R1/F1. I bought my JuinTechs for $150 for the pair, they came with rotors. I also got the Yokozuna cables to go along with them.

Just last weekend put this bike together with those brakes and 10sp Campy levers. I am extremely happy with how they feel and the familiar Campy lever action. Not a ton of miles on it yet, but first impressions are great.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180901/a4d64661a97459d5f49c8c9a4d9f2f0b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

donevwil
09-01-2018, 01:15 AM
Only the price. $350 for just the brakes makes me start considering full-hydro options, even if it means this bike goes Ultegra & not Campy.

Ah, you must be looking for flat mount. Don't understand why Yoko charges so much more for flat v IS. Universal will give you 15% off BTW.