PDA

View Full Version : Boulder

2LeftCleats
08-30-2018, 01:52 PM
My wife and I are in Boulder for a few days moving our daughter to her apartment, which is essentially bike storage with a bed. Our first time. Emma’s been here before. She’s a massage therapist and a part time soigneur for a couple of teams. While she’s out riding, I made the pilgrimage to Pearl St. Just a few steps apart are Rapha and Vecchio’s. Now, there’s a contrast. I liked both but think I’d rather spend time “in the old school”. Also having fun exploring the food and beer, because people keep reminding us to stay hydrated. Really impressed with the bike path system. It appears there’s social pressure to stay active and fit.

kingpin75s
08-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Don't miss Boxcar coffee and bakery if you are right there.

kingpin75s
08-30-2018, 02:09 PM
It appears there’s social pressure to stay active and fit.

Are you fit or Boulder fit? ;)

Chris
08-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Rio Grande for some great cycling sponsoring Tex-Mex and their famous margaritas.

JEFFTHEROBOT
08-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Go to Bar Taco for dinner!

thegunner
08-30-2018, 02:41 PM
go to avery for lunch, their food is just plain good, not even for a brewery.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Drive to east Arapahoe and Fate...great food and beer...

Yup, Boulder, even with her warts and ‘never been here’ naysayers, great place to live, work(or retire!!!) and ride.

RC.
08-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Go to Bar Taco for dinner!

You never took me there. Bull****.

JEFFTHEROBOT
08-30-2018, 03:09 PM
You've never even been to boulder ya troll.

Clean39T
08-30-2018, 03:12 PM
I have three words for you. Mountain. Sun. Nachos.

My mouth started watering just thinking of them..

Oh, and anything from Lucilles - still the breakfast by which I judge all other breakfasts.

simpsonn
08-30-2018, 03:41 PM
I was out there a few weeks ago. Coming from the Midwest, the entire Denver/Boulder area was great, just wish I had more time to explore. If you like pizza, Backcountry Pizza & Tap House in Boulder was really good. Almost as good as Mother Bears in Bloomington.

gdw
08-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Jeez, lived here for over twenty years and never been to the places you folks recommend other than Rios and Lucille's. This place has definitely morphed into the Carmel of the Rockies.

tomato coupe
08-30-2018, 08:06 PM
I have three words for you. Mountain. Sun. Nachos.

My mouth started watering just thinking of them..

Oh, and anything from Lucilles - still the breakfast by which I judge all other breakfasts.

A humorous story about Lucile's:

As many of you probably know, the Boulder area was hit by some devastating floods a few years ago. We happen to live near Left Hand Creek, which is one area that was hit pretty hard. Our house was spared, but three of our neighbors were not so lucky. Another neighbor, who owns Lucile's, was also lucky.

In the days following the flood, dozens of volunteers descended on our neighbors to lend a hand and try to save their homes. The volunteers worked their butts off, and we tried to help out by feeding them every day. One day, the owner of Lucile's stopped in and asked if there was anything he could do to help. I asked him if he could bring some food for the volunteers. "Sure, no problem" was his response. A couple hours later he returned with a half-full one pint container of red beans!

The real punch line is that we heard the exact same story from one of our other neighbors.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2018, 07:51 AM
A humorous story about Lucile's:

As many of you probably know, the Boulder area was hit by some devastating floods a few years ago. We happen to live near Left Hand Creek, which is one area that was hit pretty hard. Our house was spared, but three of our neighbors were not so lucky. Another neighbor, who owns Lucile's, was also lucky.

In the days following the flood, dozens of volunteers descended on our neighbors to lend a hand and try to save their homes. The volunteers worked their butts off, and we tried to help out by feeding them every day. One day, the owner of Lucile's stopped in and asked if there was anything he could do to help. I asked him if he could bring some food for the volunteers. "Sure, no problem" was his response. A couple hours later he returned with a half-full one pint container of red beans!

The real punch line is that we heard the exact same story from one of our other neighbors.

Yup. Lucille's is kinda like 'Snooze'..wait in line for a table forever(don't go on WE) and get a pretty average breakfast..more touristas go there than locals methinks.

Glad your house was OK..September 2013..still some things that aren't 'fixed'..5 years in..do you know Chris Obrien or John Pellichoud(sp?)?

kingpin75s
08-31-2018, 09:18 AM
As many of you probably know, the Boulder area was hit by some devastating floods a few years ago. We happen to live near Left Hand Creek, which is one area that was hit pretty hard. Our house was spared, but three of our neighbors were not so lucky.

I was in Boulder to ride the Buffalo Classic that weekend. The forecasted rain held off for the ride and we had a great day. However, we headed out the next morning back to Minnesota as it started slowly raining in Boulder and it just never stopped for days. Unreal and fortunate those that I know managed well in the aftermath. The Boulder "bubble" had popped for at least a bit.

Looking forward to another visit this fall and what is nearly my annual pilgrimage to Vecchio's. OP really did build a special little shop there.

Clean39T
08-31-2018, 09:38 AM
Yup. Lucille's is kinda like 'Snooze'..wait in line for a table forever(don't go on WE) and get a pretty average breakfast..more touristas go there than locals methinks.

In my defense, I lived there a decade ago, so no idea what it's become now -- and I'd go during the week after working my 6:30p-6:30a shift, so never dealt with the waits.. And I got the same thing every time.

Now, can we talk about half-fast subs?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
08-31-2018, 10:06 AM
In my defense, I lived there a decade ago, so no idea what it's become now -- and I'd go during the week after working my 6:30p-6:30a shift, so never dealt with the waits.. And I got the same thing every time.

Now, can we talk about half-fast subs?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On the Hill? I stay away from there..the Hill..:eek:

Clean39T
08-31-2018, 10:09 AM
On the Hill? I stay away from there..the Hill..:eek:

I was only 28 at the time, so I could kinda blend - it made for some interesting viewing - like going to the zoo and getting invited inside the cages..

2LeftCleats
08-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Really liked Foolish Craig’s for breakfast. Walked over to the bike park. That’s pretty neat, too. Dinner from food carts last night at Rayback Collective with daughter’s friends. Young crowd and too noisy for us old folks, so we bailed early.

tomato coupe
08-31-2018, 05:57 PM
... do you know Chris Obrien or John Pellichoud(sp?)?

No, I do not know those gentlemen.

Volksbike
08-31-2018, 08:31 PM
Make sure to check out the indoor Velodrome at The Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center. Worth a visit for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotspur.serotta
08-31-2018, 11:25 PM
They have some great original Western artwork and bronzes. And you can buy several years' worth of cards! Highly recommend it.

hotspur.serotta
08-31-2018, 11:26 PM
Oh, and take the Celestial Seasons tour. The storeroom where they keep the mint is divine. It's fascinating seeing how tea is processed.

redir
09-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Was just in Boulder too, now in Littleton. In Boulder came across a shop called something like Pro Peleton, just looked and kept cruising.

One of these days I'm going to do some riding out here. I think the altitude would kill me though. Saw a lot of riders going up and down Independence Pass... Just beautiful.

DRietz
09-01-2018, 07:12 PM
Not sure if this is a discussion of breakfast in Boulder, but Tangerine wins hands down. Chicken and waffles...mmm.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2018, 06:56 AM
Was just in Boulder too, now in Littleton. In Boulder came across a shop called something like Pro Peleton, just looked and kept cruising.

One of these days I'm going to do some riding out here. I think the altitude would kill me though. Saw a lot of riders going up and down Independence Pass... Just beautiful.

ProPelOton...I helped to start that place, OMG, 22 years ago..left in 1999 to start Vecchio's. Owned now by Boulder Cycle Sport, trying really hard to be the boutque-y place it once was when owned by Chris Sodden. When we opened, in 1996, it was an experiment', ala Nytro in SoCal..to be road only and tri specific..sold a bunch of Quintana Roo, Softride(yikes!!) along with Colnago and Litespeed..I was the only wrench..new owner, not a good mix with me and my future biz partner(I hired him from Morgul-Bismark)..and that went to ****e as well..

Begat Vecchio's..

oldpotatoe
09-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Not sure if this is a discussion of breakfast in Boulder, but Tangerine wins hands down. Chicken and waffles...mmm.

HA!! Chicken and Waffles..yup, I watch a lot of this..with 2 grandkids:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrdoFM2jXvE